Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HELP WITH SKID CONTROL ISSUE PLEASE!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP WITH SKID CONTROL ISSUE PLEASE!!!

ok about a couple weeks after i had bought my 2nd gen me and some buddy's decided to fabricate a short ram intake using the stock rubber housing.. after removing the stock airbox i went to autozone and bought an alluminimn adapter like intake hose to connect to the stock hose. drilled a hole in the pipe for air flow senser(which wasn't easy) then finally connecting the air filter cone. it was on their sounding great and working really you can actually feel a slight differents in power...then i parked on the wrong side of the street one day for about 45 minutes and i came out and it was towed..

when i got to the tow yard to pick it up i went to drive it out and it would not go passed 5mph without bogging out at the same time the skid control indicator is blinking so i pressed it and then it will drive fine..so now everytime i go to take off i have to press the stupid little button..does anyone have any idea what it can be? i was thinking it might have been from being towed it from the 2 rear wheels instead of flat a flat bed. i took her to the dealership but they tried to tell me it might be because of my aftermarket filter and i'd have to pay 100 bucks for the diagnosis..so before i go and that i thought i'd ask you guys..

sorry i wrote you a novel i just thought i'd put it in detail..please help!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definately sounds messed up and not a result of your intake. Just put it back to stock and take it back to the dealership. Either way, it shouldn't matter because there is no link between your stability/traction control and your intake. If there was a problem with a sensor because of your intake, you'd probably get a check engine light
Old 12-10-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds to me like the towing company damaged your ESC system. I can't imagine how the intake could possibly contribute to those symtoms. The first thing I would try is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. If nothing changes, I'd try another dealer or put the intake back to sotck and take it in.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I dont see a relation between the air intake and the ESC either. The dealer can't say that they won't fix the ESC or even check it without charging you because its a completely different system, Just like healthynine said there would be a check engine light if it was your intake. They must have towed the car with the front wheels still on the ground instead of the rear wheels like it should have been.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check the fuse. i took it out once and it make my engine bog and shizzz its under the hood in teh middle of the fuze box im pritty sure thees two of themthat and check for dragging wires
Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for all the advice..i tried disconnecing the battery for a few mintues and it worked! that time only when i turned the car off and started it..it was efft up again.
sooo im gunna check the fuse like the guy on the bottom said...also!i forgot to mention sometimes when im te freeway my engine will shut off when im driving but the electical is fine...all my indicators light up and the engine dies..when im freakin driving! my cars efft up man.

the good news is i got my car towed again yesterday(long story)and i acted all dumb founded when they brought my car out..so i told em if the dealership makes me pay anything im sending them the bill. yeah it's kind of a diick thing to do but i hate tow truck people. thanks again
Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by devastator
i forgot to mention sometimes when im te freeway my engine will shut off when im driving but the electical is fine...all my indicators light up and the engine dies..when im freakin driving! my cars efft up man.
I have an xB and this happened to me. It was a horrible pain to troubleshoot, but I found the problem. It ended up being a loose EFI fuse in the engine fusebox. The xB fuse holder has a solid piece of metal with a V notch on one side, and two metal tabs on the other. The tabs must have been too far apart, when the fuse lost electrical contact it shut down the fuel injectors and the engine would die, leaving me stranded a few times. It would wierdly start up later without symptoms.

To see if this is the problem, turn on the engine. Open the engine fuse panel. Put your finger on each fuse and wiggle it. If your engine dies, that's the loose fuse. You dhould not get shocked, it's 12V DC, the fuses should have plastic on the top of them, and your body has a high internal resistance. Just don't do it barefoot in a pullde. To fix it use a small nail or other device and bend the metal tabs on the fuse holder closer to one another. I haven't had a problem since. Good luck.