Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

XB2 fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a little "experiment" going on, mostly with the MPG calculator and why it fluctuates so much (over estimates.. Says 30mpg instead of the true 27 or 28 )... Early in my study but should be confirmed in the next few fill ups if there is any relation.

I used various "budget" gas stations and on my last two fill-ups switched to the top-tier gasoline, shell. With the lower quality fuels, my MPG was consistently around 2mpg above my true mpg.. On my first pure shell fill, my result was 28.1mpg, exact same reading on my calculator. I will filling up again on Friday and see if it's just as close, if so, it may solve why the MPG calculator may fluctuate, quality of gasoline going in. But I will do a few more fills after to see if there is a strong trend or just coincidence.

With the lower quality gasoline, I have had readings of 32 and 33 and such, and once I did the real math was as low as 29 and 30. So if Shell can come through and give accurate readings, it could be a big step in getting better MPG.

I can be FAR off with this, but it's worth a try! Ill keep ya updated.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 AM
SL Member

I'm getting 24mpg with mostly city, I'd say about 70%. Only had it for 2 and a half weeks. Drive with A/C half the time, light foot never over 3,000 rpms (or whatever its called lol)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

interesting numbers going on for me

when i first got it, i averaged around 23mpg
after a month till about 3 wks ago, i averaged 25.5mpg
2wks ago, i averaged 24.5mpg
this week, i am averaging 23.5mpg

i am thinking this has to be directly related to the colder temperatures in chicago
Old 10-27-2007, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am getting just below 22. All in town driving. It's only been on the freeway 2 times for short trips. Both under 5 miles. It has 1800 miles on it so far. I am taking an all highway trip this weekend and I will post my mileage Sunday when I get home.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 AM
SL Member

People can get up to 43MPG when driven conservatively with gen1's, I'm getting around 33MPG and I've been accelerating aggressively.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Fuel MPG Normal XB2

Originally Posted by revoluzion
I have an auto 2nd gen 08 xB. The traffic here in hawaii has been somewhat heavier than usual, but my questions are:

Is it normal for my auto xB with 500miles on it, to get merely 17 avg miles per gallon?

Is it abnormal that I haven't gotten 200miles on a tank of gas yet, although this is my 4th tank?

Should I wait longer, maybe i'm still at the "break-in" period?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated as I intend to bring it back to the dealer if the condition persists.

17mpg.. sigh, and all of you are getting over 20 at least.

Thanks in advance!

Im in the same boat but my xB has 1800 miles on it and the best Ive averaged is 20.8mpg without a heavy foot. What do you guys suggest I tell the dealership?
Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Invertalon
I have a little "experiment" going on, mostly with the MPG calculator and why it fluctuates so much (over estimates.. Says 30mpg instead of the true 27 or 28 )... Early in my study but should be confirmed in the next few fill ups if there is any relation.

I used various "budget" gas stations and on my last two fill-ups switched to the top-tier gasoline, shell. With the lower quality fuels, my MPG was consistently around 2mpg above my true mpg.. On my first pure shell fill, my result was 28.1mpg, exact same reading on my calculator. I will filling up again on Friday and see if it's just as close, if so, it may solve why the MPG calculator may fluctuate, quality of gasoline going in. But I will do a few more fills after to see if there is a strong trend or just coincidence.

With the lower quality gasoline, I have had readings of 32 and 33 and such, and once I did the real math was as low as 29 and 30. So if Shell can come through and give accurate readings, it could be a big step in getting better MPG.

I can be FAR off with this, but it's worth a try! Ill keep ya updated.
my Solara's mpg calculator was about 2 miles more than actual mileage also and i suspect it may be the same with others... i checked my mileage regularly while i owned it and it was always less than the displayed mpg...

the discrepency probably comes from engine idling time as the mileage calculator takes idle time into account when giving mpg results...
Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like the gas pump is not accurate - you can be getting short changed at the pump . . . it does happen. Some pumps will give you more gas than they say and some will give you less than they say. If you are pumping more than you think you shold be . . . change stations or change pumps.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

I have a question for all the members, when you fill up what range mileage do u get at fillup? Mine shows me 244 miles, have any of you guys had any higher number?

I called the dealership to take her in and they said they cannot do anything unless it has a check engine light, but I'm taking her in anyways so they can keep a record of how many times I'm going to take the car in for the same reason if it doesnt get any better sooner, thanks again guys for your opinions.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am on the high side in a xB1 so it will be higher but I get . . . about 425 miles on about 10 -10.3 gallons. I have seen threads here in SL with mileage all over the place with the xB2 and a lot depends upon how you drive. Best thing to do is to get your foot off the gas way before you start applying the brakes to slow down . . . all that distance you travel slowing down with your foot off the gas is 0.0 gallons of gas burning and really helps the mileage go up. If you find you still have to use a lot of brake then let off the gas even sooner the next time.
I have seen numbers in the low 20's to as high at almost 50 for the xB2. If yours rolls really easy in neutral on even the slightest grade then it should get good mileage. And as always keep over 32 psi in the tires.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bigdaddeywalt
I have a question for all the members, when you fill up what range mileage do u get at fillup? Mine shows me 244 miles, have any of you guys had any higher number?

I called the dealership to take her in and they said they cannot do anything unless it has a check engine light, but I'm taking her in anyways so they can keep a record of how many times I'm going to take the car in for the same reason if it doesnt get any better sooner, thanks again guys for your opinions.
the range estimate usually covers city driving from my experience - set one of your trip gauges if you are doing freeway driving and you will see the miles on the range estimator dropping slower than you are accumulating on the trip gauge when you get the higher mileage from being on the freeway...

i think mine said 277 on it when i got it - 14 gals @ 20mng = 280miles

but if you do highway driving you should get around 400 miles or so..