Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2AZ Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Dim
SL Member

Default 2AZ Turbo

Hey guys, been here on SL for a while, pretty much posting on the tC1 section because I'd assume there would be more activity going on over there. Posting here to get a little bit more insight, suggestions, and questions answered.

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla Xrs, also has the 2.4 2AZ that the tC1 and xB2 share, at the moment its running on a AEM FIC with a 08-10 PnP xB harness.

I'm running a TurboToyotas kit and I recently just go the motor built with ACL main & rod bearings, Manley rods, CP pistons & rings and everything else has includes being honed, bored, boil cleaned, etc.

Shop told me they got a code and its misfiring I believe across all four cylinders, haven't had a chance to get it checked out because I haven't got the code yet.

Do you guys think the misfiring can be due to the FIC? Tune? Maf? Fuel Injectors/Pump? I know there could be a number of things.

Before I had the rebuild and the car was running pretty smooth, it was never misfiring.

I am considering the AEM EMS, I'm thinking it will be PnP with a xB harness since the FIC was with it, but I'm not 100% sure. But if I do stick with the turbo I'll have to stay with the FIC for now because I'm already pushing the budget.

Other option is to go back to N/A and have a reliable car.

EDIT:

Pics of the car

Name:  20120731_103703.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  320.7 KB
Name:  20121201_162405.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  90.3 KB
Name:  20121204_115920.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  104.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20121130_073841.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  98.2 KB

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-03-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you Dyno'ed and tuned it yet?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
Dim
SL Member

Haven't dyno'd or tuned yet since after the rebiuld.

When I first got the turbo put on, I did have it tuned on the stock block and the current setup I had then, when I dyno'd before the build it was running 10psi and I got 268whp & 280wtq on a Dynojet.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dim
Hey guys, been here on SL for a while, pretty much posting on the tC1 section because I'd assume there would be more activity going on over there. Posting here to get a little bit more insight, suggestions, and questions answered.

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla Xrs, also has the 2.4 2az that the tC1 and xB2 share, at the moment its running on a AEM FIC with a 08-10 PnP xB harness.

I'm running a TurboToyotas kit and I recently just go the motor built with ACL main & rod bearings, Manley rods, CP pistons & rings and everything else has includes being honed, bored, boil cleaned, etc.

Shop told me they got a code and its misfiring I believe across all four cylinders, haven't had a chance to get it checked out because I haven't got the code yet.

Do you guys think the misfiring can be due to the FIC? Tune? Maf? Fuel Injectors/Pump? I know there could be a number of things.

Before I had the rebuild and the car was running pretty smooth, it was never misfiring.

I am considering the AEM EMS, I'm thinking it will be PnP with a xB harness since the FIC was with it, but I'm not 100% sure. But if I do stick with the turbo I'll have to stay with the FIC for now because I'm already pushing the budget.

Other option is to go back to N/A and have a reliable car.

The misfiring could be caused by many things, especially the FIC. One of the easiest things to check is the condition of your spark plugs. When I first boosted my XB I tried running the copper plugs included in the TRD SC kit but they misfired a lot. I settled on 1 step colder NGK iridiums pre-gapped to .032" and they have worked perfectly for 2 years now.

Anyway, it's all worthless conjecture without your trouble codes. Why waste time guessing these days when the ECU will tell you what's wrong?

The EMS won't work with the FIC harness. It would need to be hard-wired. I'd like to help you but need a lot more info. Could you post the details of your build? Injector size, plugs, MAF tube ID, tuner, etc.?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Dim
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
The misfiring could be caused by many things, especially the FIC. One of the easiest things to check is the condition of your spark plugs. When I first boosted my XB I tried running the copper plugs included in the TRD SC kit but they misfired a lot. I settled on 1 step colder NGK iridiums pre-gapped to .032" and they have worked perfectly for 2 years now.

Anyway, it's all worthless conjecture without your trouble codes. Why waste time guessing these days when the ECU will tell you what's wrong?

The EMS won't work with the FIC harness. It would need to be hard-wired. I'd like to help you but need a lot more info. Could you post the details of your build? Injector size, plugs, MAF tube ID, tuner, etc.?
ACL Main & Rod Bearings, CP pistons, Manley rods, 550 Injectors, 1 step colder plugs gapped at 26, not sure what you mean by MAF tube ID? and I'll be going with a local shop, Precision R to tune it.

As for the EMS, my question was since I can use a 08-10 xB FIC Harness for PnP on my car, would I be able to use a 08-10 xB EMS Harness to make it PnP? That is if the xB has a PnP EMS harness.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dim
ACL Main & Rod Bearings, CP pistons, Manley rods, 550 Injectors, 1 step colder plugs gapped at 26, not sure what you mean by MAF tube ID? and I'll be going with a local shop, Precision R to tune it.
Have you checked the condition of your plugs yet? I always like to start with the cheap, easy possibilities first. I asked about the MAF tube ID (Intake air pipe ID @ MAF sensor) to see if it is the same as stock. The TC has a 2.5" ID MAF tube, the XB uses 2.8" ID and I don't know about the Corrolla. Any change in this ID affects the MAF reading by the ECU.

As for the EMS, my question was since I can use a 08-10 xB FIC Harness for PnP on my car, would I be able to use a 08-10 xB EMS Harness to make it PnP? That is if the xB has a PnP EMS harness.
AFAIK the only PnP harness for the XB is for the FIC. Boomslang could make you one for the EMS but being a one-off, it would not be cheap. If I understood you correctly, you were happy with your tune before the engine rebuild and the misifiring is a recent problem? Really need the DTCs.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 AM

nice*-*-*-*-
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 AM
Dim
SL Member

IFO got a pic of my car at the show on Sunday.

Dim's Corolla Xrs Turbo

Have you checked the condition of your plugs yet? I always like to start with the cheap, easy possibilities first. I asked about the MAF tube ID (Intake air pipe ID @ MAF sensor) to see if it is the same as stock. The TC has a 2.5" ID MAF tube, the XB uses 2.8" ID and I don't know about the Corrolla. Any change in this ID affects the MAF reading by the ECU.
Plugs were brand new with the rebuild

AFAIK the only PnP harness for the XB is for the FIC. Boomslang could make you one for the EMS but being a one-off, it would not be cheap. If I understood you correctly, you were happy with your tune before the engine rebuild and the misifiring is a recent problem? Really need the DTCs.
DTCs?

Originally Posted by addie123
nice*-*-*-*-
Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

@Dim, DTC's are Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dim
Plugs were brand new with the rebuild

DTCs?
A good rule of thumb is to start with a 1-step colder plug pre-gapped to .032" instead of stock when running boost. NGK agrees.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...d.asp?mode=nml

FAQs - Spark Plugs
Q: Are special plugs always necessary on a modified engine?
A: It depends on the modifications. The term "modified" refers to those engines that have received bolt-on improvements that may or may not raise the engine's total compression ratio. These can include turbocharging, supercharging, nitrous oxide injection, the use of smaller-chambered cylinder heads, modified piston configurations, free-flowing cylinder heads, change of induction components and/or the use of different fuel types and octane. These kinds of modifications generally require a change from stock spark plugs.
Modifications that will typically not require specialized plugs (in most cases the factory installed plug will be more than adequate) include adding a free-flowing air filter, headers, mufflers and rear-end gears. Basically, any modification that does not alter the overall compression ratio will not usually necessitate changing plug types or heat ranges. Such minor modifications will not significantly increase the amount of heat in the combustion chamber, hence, a plug change is probably not warranted.
However, when compression is raised, along with the added power comes added heat. Since spark plugs must remove heat and a modified engine makes more heat, the spark plug must remove more heat. A colder heat range spark plug must be selected and plug gaps should be adjusted smaller to ensure proper ignitability in this denser air/fuel mixture.
Typically, for every 75-100 hp you add, you should go one step colder on the spark plug's heat range. A hotter heat range is not usually recommended except when severe oil or fuel fouling is occurring.

If you had one bad spark plug or coil pack you would likely get a DTC for misfiring on cyl # X. If the FIC was causing misfiring you would get a DTC for the crank and/or cam sensors. Misfiring has many potential causes and the DTC(s) will narrow it down a lot, saving you and me a lot of wasted time guessing.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually had an issue similar to this for the last three months.. it drove me nuts, along with my tuner. I'm not sure why we didn't see it or suspect it before, even with a washed out spark plug or two... It ended up being three of my injectors needed to be rebuilt and one was totally stuck open.

What kind of injectors do you have? RC by any chance? They are very good on their word regarding their warranty.. get em flowed.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RJSCION
I actually had an issue similar to this for the last three months.. it drove me nuts, along with my tuner. I'm not sure why we didn't see it or suspect it before, even with a washed out spark plug or two... It ended up being three of my injectors needed to be rebuilt and one was totally stuck open.

What kind of injectors do you have? RC by any chance? They are very good on their word regarding their warranty.. get em flowed.

Another good reason to buy from Deatschwerks!