Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

CXR Turbo Kit, Part Deux

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry Fred... Sucks that its been a big hassle for you and not much boostin. Oh well. I would still be interested in the kit but Im actually considering buying my ex's Speed 3 lol. Good luck though and if you wanna give it another shot, I strongly suggest you let PTuning tune it :D
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
Really sorry to hear, maybe you should just hold out till you can maybe get down to ptuning and have them check it out for you. After adjusting my maf map I have not had any cell in months, clutch just started to slip as I am on 10psi spiking 12 close to redline. Been taking it easy as work has been slow so gotta save money. I may pick up another motor to build and up the boost later. My biggest complain is the cx exhaust which is just too loud.
I imagine that P-Tuning might be able to fix this but it would probably take several hours with an o-scope and it wouldn't be cheap. A tune alone is $550 so fixing the FIC and a tune would almost certainly cost a grand. I'm pretty sure that P-Tuning would recommend switching to the Ultimate. That's what Toan recommended way back when I asked him about the FIC. I should have listened to him...

It's definitely electrical and not something that can be tuned out. The 2.2k resistor made my crk signal too weak and while it runs much better with no resistor, there seems to be enough noise to cause some misfires from the finicky FIC. Did you know that AEM has 4 different FIC/6 models? Each of them differs only in how they handle various crk/cam sensors and ECUs.

Sorry about your clutch but I guess you knew that was gonna happen at 10psi. You must be around 300whp? Must be fun! I'm glad you got rid of your CELs. Are you gonna add a resonator or muffler? I have the opposite problem, my exhaust is too quiet. I'm running stock mid-section into a TRD AB and it sounded great with a header but the turbo really quieted it down a lot. It does kind of go with my sleeper theme though. Hidden IC, stock rims, etc.

Anyway, I hope your work doesn't get too slow and wish you luck with the built motor and whatever else you do.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Sorry Fred... Sucks that its been a big hassle for you and not much boostin. Oh well. I would still be interested in the kit but Im actually considering buying my ex's Speed 3 lol. Good luck though and if you wanna give it another shot, I strongly suggest you let PTuning tune it :D
If I were you I would definitely get the Speed 3 instead of boosting your XB. IMO no matter how good the tune, there will still be some inherent flaws when running a piggyhack like the FIC. You can get used to some and drive around some but it will never be as smooth as a factory engineered car.

If I do keep the XB boosted, I still have to fix the electrical issues causing the misfires before getting it tuned. The problem is the FIC and I'm pretty sure that Toan would tell me to get an Ultimate instead. Anyway, before paying them $550 for a tune, I want to have everything else sorted out.

Good luck with the Speed 3, I'm undecided but really like the 4-door GTI with 6 speed DSG.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I imagine that P-Tuning might be able to fix this but it would probably take several hours with an o-scope and it wouldn't be cheap. A tune alone is $550 so fixing the FIC and a tune would almost certainly cost a grand. I'm pretty sure that P-Tuning would recommend switching to the Ultimate. That's what Toan recommended way back when I asked him about the FIC. I should have listened to him...

It's definitely electrical and not something that can be tuned out. The 2.2k resistor made my crk signal too weak and while it runs much better with no resistor, there seems to be enough noise to cause some misfires from the finicky FIC. Did you know that AEM has 4 different FIC/6 models? Each of them differs only in how they handle various crk/cam sensors and ECUs.

Sorry about your clutch but I guess you knew that was gonna happen at 10psi. You must be around 300whp? Must be fun! I'm glad you got rid of your CELs. Are you gonna add a resonator or muffler? I have the opposite problem, my exhaust is too quiet. I'm running stock mid-section into a TRD AB and it sounded great with a header but the turbo really quieted it down a lot. It does kind of go with my sleeper theme though. Hidden IC, stock rims, etc.

Anyway, I hope your work doesn't get too slow and wish you luck with the built motor and whatever else you do.
I am not even mad about the clutch I just baby it for while till I can replace it. I really wish we could figure something out for your set up, Im pretty sure you have tried all the different file patches for the fic also. It sucks cuase it sounded like with your old setup your maf was the only drawback and the stock ecu was holding up fine. Maybe you can sell the fic and try the ultimate. I really hate to see all your hard work end like this.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
I am not even mad about the clutch I just baby it for while till I can replace it. I really wish we could figure something out for your set up, Im pretty sure you have tried all the different file patches for the fic also. It sucks cuase it sounded like with your old setup your maf was the only drawback and the stock ecu was holding up fine. Maybe you can sell the fic and try the ultimate. I really hate to see all your hard work end like this.
I did try all the FIC firmwares before finally being told by AEM what they were for. Z104 is for most typical 4 cyl engines, Z107 is for some V6 engines that don't like Z104 and Z110 is for multi-pulse FI systems. Z104 worked best for me, as it should.

Unless someone makes me a good offer for the complete kit, I'm going to waste some more time and money trying to fix the buggy FIC issues. I may even buy an o-scope for that purpose. Since I don't have a garage, I'll probably rewire the FIC so it only taps the crk for rpm input. That will take care of the P0101 maf CEL and CL/OL fuel tuning. As long as I don't have any knock, I'll be golden. If I do, I'll have to either fix the FIC problem or try a different piggy. I'm feeling a little better seeing how great the car runs without the FIC causing misfires at high rpm.

Unfortunately, the Ultimate is overpriced, lacks good CL tuning control and is prone to set CELs (AFAIK). A buddy wants me to try his spare Unichip but I'm not sure if that's the best solution or just another time/money consuming fail. Given how well the FIC seems to work on TCs and MT XB2s, I thought it would be my best bet. Sadly the FIC is very picky about crk/cam signals and mine must be just different enough to cause problems. Maybe the Map2ECU2? I dunno...

Anyway, I'll keep the thread updated with my progress. Have you decided on a replacement clutch yet? Don't get the one Cory got! LOL