Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

I just bought a turbo kit! I was on ebay looking at the CXR turbo kit and started messing around making offers on it. I started at $750 and worked my way up to $1100. Each offer was automatically rejected. Then on impulse I offered $1200 and they accepted it! That makes it $1304 shipped. Good deal? We'll see...

Anyway, I guess I'm committed to being the guinea pig for this cheap kit. I hope I don't regret it too much.

So, time to plan the build. My initial thoughts are to install the kit as-is but with 440cc injectors. 440cc is 20% larger than stock and I've heard that most ECUs can compensate for 15-20% larger injectors. My expectation is that it might run rich at idle and off-boost but should be okay at mid-wot as long as I keep the boost below 6psi. I plan to inspect, test and probably open up the waste gate opening as I've read that Int WG China turbos often have undersized WG openings. Same for the BOV. I've read that it's often necessary to remove casting ridges from them. I haven't decided yet but I may have the manifold ceramic coated and will look into bracing it. To be a little safer, I'll install boost and AFR gauges with it. BTW, since our primary O2(A/F) sensor is a hybrid wideband, does anyone know if there are gauges that work with it? If not, I'll get the AEM WB and bung it into the s-pipe.

I'm planning to add a AEM FIC but if the AF looks close enough, I'll just have it dynoed and see how the AF looks on the drum. Maybe I'll get lucky like when I re-jetted the carbs on my Kawasaki after IHE mods and hit near perfect dyno-tested A/F on the first try. Maybe not...

I'm going into this with the expectation that the turbo might not last long so I'll be looking for a Garrett replacement. If the manifold fails, my backup plan is to replace it with a Treadstone mani, Tial WG and mod the piping and DP for it. In the long run I may regret this or I might get 200whp for under $2000. Wish me luck, I may need it.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you guys care to share with me. TIA.

P.s. I know the engine will blow up w/o EM Cory. Just like all those ZPI stage 0 and Treadstone fitted engines did.

Last edited by ScionFred; 11-20-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im interested to see how this turns out buy a aem uego im telling you out comp dosent like boost it hates it buy the gauge stay safe
Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
im interested to see how this turns out buy a aem uego im telling you out comp dosent like boost it hates it buy the gauge stay safe
Thanks Cory. I looked around a bit and can't find any gauges that read our hybrid wideband sensors. What I did find out is that they are current based with fixed voltage so they won't work with existing 0-5v WB gauges. So I guess I'll just get the AEM UEGO. Is it better to bung the WB sensor into the s-pipe or down-pipe?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did mine right before the factory sensor on my spipe
Old 05-09-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

$1200?!?!

Is it used? What kind of turbo? How big is the Intercooler? I really hope this isnt one of these very cheap Ebay kits because regardless of your engine management, everything is going to blow up.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its the cxr kit
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

hey hope everything works out ok with this you def cant beat that price. i'm lookin forward to seein the results you'll with this. your def braver than i. good luck man
Old 05-09-2009, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by homerhitta
hey hope everything works out ok with this you def cant beat that price. i'm lookin forward to seein the results you'll with this. your def braver than i. good luck man
It's a fine line between brave and stupid. We'll see which side of that line I fall on soon enough...

Any advice on injectors? I was thinking Deatschwerks 440cc for 5psi boost.

Thanks and props on your sick turbo XB.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

another thread that i will be closely looking into.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes and hopefully everything goes well!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck ScionFred, I hope my tips help you out and keep your motor safe By the way, that CXR Header you have now is useless, haha. Anyways, post up pics so we can see what the 240 guys keep "raving" about.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NyoroBox
another thread that i will be closely looking into.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes and hopefully everything goes well!
Thanks. I'll post a lot of pics and full disclosure on the good and the bad.

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Good luck ScionFred, I hope my tips help you out and keep your motor safe By the way, that CXR Header you have now is useless, haha. Anyways, post up pics so we can see what the 240 guys keep "raving" about.
Thanks. I especially appreciate your insistance to get larger injectors. Even CXR recommended them over the phone, despite their advertising claim that it works with stock injectors. According to RC's calculator, 440cc should be okay for up to 225bhp which is beyond my initial target. I may go for more with a better turbo, EM and tune but I plan to stay very conservative until then.

Funny how I ended up with this cheap kit just as I was seriously considering TT instead. I liked the Ancla but $4000 is simply too much for it w/o real EM. I don't really trust their velocity stack "tune" and it should cost $3000 like their TC kit.

BTW, wanna buy my header? It fits and works great and would look good if you ceramic coat it.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much?!?!
Old 05-09-2009, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much?!?!
I better wait until I get a close look at this CXR kit first. I may decide to get a new turbo and/or manifold before even installing it. The mani would likely be a write-off but I bet I could sell the turbo on ebay.

BTW, I'm having a really tough time picking gauges. I really like both the AEM and Prosport but I can't find a Prosport digital boost gauge in amber to match their amber WB-AFR. The problem with AEM is that they want ~$200 for a freakin' boost gauge! Prosport's is $80.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
BTW, wanna buy my header? It fits and works great and would look good if you ceramic coat it.
Haha, I'm going turbo, so that's never been an option for me.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I better wait until I get a close look at this CXR kit first. I may decide to get a new turbo and/or manifold before even installing it. The mani would likely be a write-off but I bet I could sell the turbo on ebay.

BTW, I'm having a really tough time picking gauges. I really like both the AEM and Prosport but I can't find a Prosport digital boost gauge in amber to match their amber WB-AFR. The problem with AEM is that they want ~$200 for a freakin' boost gauge! Prosport's is $80.
The guages that i really liked were the Defi B/F gauges. Yea, they're expensive, but they match our dash lights perfectly.

Also.. not to mention the cool features it has
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you decided on a kit yet or are you waiting to see my results with CXR?

The guages that i really liked were the Defi B/F gauges. Yea, they're expensive, but they match our dash lights perfectly.

Also.. not to mention the cool features it has
Those are very nice but I prefer digital gauges. The amber Prosport WB looks great and uses a newer Bosch sensor than AEM but since they don't offer a matching amber boost gauge I have to pay $100 too much for an AEM boost gauge.

Once I get the header off, I'll sell it to you if you still want it.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you decided on a kit yet or are you waiting to see my results with CXR?
From the start, I've been planning on going custom.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the start, I've been planning on going custom.
I went that route and creating the custom exhaust piping has been the biggest problem for me.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with the kit! I hope everything works out so I can follow in your steps. I've been so curious about this kit. Even $1200 is too much for me to blow on something that might cause 3-5k in damage without me knowing anything about its quality. If I had more money laying around incase of disaster I'd of hopped on this along time ao.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!