Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

FastScions.com Scion xB2 Turbo Kit Dyno Numbers!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 AM
SL Member

So how much would it cost to have this set up done?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM
SL Member

Would it be safe saying this set up cost around $10k? I'm looking to turbo once the xB is paid off. However I'd be happy with just around 200-240 whp.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
SL Member

On a manual yes, auto more like 13 14. Depends what you want and if you can do a lot of the labor you save a grand or two

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
On a manual yes, auto more like 13 14. Depends what you want and if you can do a lot of the labor you save a grand or two

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
WOW! I think for that price I'd buy a 1987 Crown Vic and shove a 500hp+ 427 long block in it. Never could understand why import cars are so exspensive to modify.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They say "There's no replacement for displacement". That's not true, there is...it's called money.

When it comes down to it, imports were not built for huge power (for the most part). Big power engines on imports are completely opposite of what they were designed for...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not like you have to spend $10-14k boosting a XB. It really depends upon your budget, hp goals and wrenching abilities. You can have a very reliable DD setup making ~250whp for $5000 if you install everything yourself.

The most important thing about boosting at the $5000 level is will power. I've seen too many people start out sensibly and then temptation gets the better of them, they raise the boost too high and blow their engine or trans. I've been running my 08 AT XB at 6psi for over 3 years now without issue.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
It's not like you have to spend $10-14k boosting a XB. It really depends upon your budget, hp goals and wrenching abilities. You can have a very reliable DD setup making ~250whp for $5000 if you install everything yourself.

The most important thing about boosting at the $5000 level is will power. I've seen too many people start out sensibly and then temptation gets the better of them, they raise the boost too high and blow their engine or trans. I've been running my 08 AT XB at 6psi for over 3 years now without issue.
250whp is plenty for me. What kit did you buy and did you install it yourself? I assume you have a stock auto tranny.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xb2owner
250whp is plenty for me. What kit did you buy and did you install it yourself? I assume you have a stock auto tranny.
My build started out as an experiment to see just how bad Ebay turbo kits are. I started with the CX Racing kit for $1200 but in the end the kit needed a new manifold, down-pipe, air intake pipe, turbo and lots of misc, hoses, couplers, clamps, etc. I'm very happy with the finished product but can't recommend it because of all the custom parts required to make it work correctly and reliably.

IMO the kits to consider are FastScions and Descendant. They both come with everything you need except gauges. AFR and boost gauges are must-haves. You should also get a OBDII scan tool to read and clear any trouble codes you may get.

I can't say too much about either kit since I have no first hand experience with either but I can offer some cautionary advice. First, while both kits claim to be "pre-tuned" everyone that I know who bought a Descendant kit had to get theirs re-tuned ASAP. Not sure about FastScions "tune" but I'd ask around and anticipate needing a re-tune. Also it appears that the Descendant kit has a big problem with boost-creep and their solution is to keep the tiny stock exhaust to restrict the turbo.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

My build started out as an experiment to see just how bad Ebay turbo kits are. I started with the CX Racing kit for $1200 but in the end the kit needed a new manifold, down-pipe, air intake pipe, turbo and lots of misc, hoses, couplers, clamps, etc. I'm very happy with the finished product but can't recommend it because of all the custom parts required to make it work correctly and reliably.

IMO the kits to consider are FastScions and Descendant. They both come with everything you need except gauges. AFR and boost gauges are must-haves. You should also get a OBDII scan tool to read and clear any trouble codes you may get.

I can't say too much about either kit since I have no first hand experience with either but I can offer some cautionary advice. First, while both kits claim to be "pre-tuned" everyone that I know who bought a Descendant kit had to get theirs re-tuned ASAP. Not sure about FastScions "tune" but I'd ask around and anticipate needing a re-tune. Also it appears that the Descendant kit has a big problem with boost-creep and their solution is to keep the tiny stock exhaust to restrict the turbo.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck.
I guess Im still the rare one with theDescendant Kit, No re tune, no boost creep, 2.5 in custom exhaust from downpipe back. ^_^ 2 years about 40k miles
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 PM

So were there any final numbers on the dyno?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member

I can say first hand since I bought the fastscions' kit that you will have to have it tuned. I've been running into problem after problem with the setup. Most people I speak with tell me to dump the Uni-chip and go with the AEM standalone, I have been told it will eleminate or minimize your chances of engine problems and/or codes.