Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Hi-flow air filters for the 2012 xb questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hi-flow air filters for the 2012 xb questions

After hearing from a buddy that this would help gas mileage I would like to replace the stanard air filter with a K&N filter.
Sooo....
Is my buddy correct about the extra MPG?
I also heard that the the oil from these type of filters can cause the sensors to go bad in the air intake.

Any suggetions on other air filters out there?

Last edited by Clang; 11-11-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, the filter is high flow, meaning less restriction, and smoother intake air flow. However, this won't help with gas mileage as much as one might think. If a quarter mile a gallon improvement is better gas mileage to you, Clang, then yes it does improve gas mileage, but don't count on much more. Just get the K&N and be happy with your drop-in modification. And no, your sensors will not go bad because of the oil(??). If there is an oil, it will not cause a problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member

yup the K&N is just fine and is around $50. after you apply the oil let it sit overnight. most people drench it and drop it in which can possibly wreck some sensors. just use common sense.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly doubt that a K&N air filter will actually increase your mpg any but it might add a hp or 2 at high rpm. It's more of a "feel good" mod with some potential cost savings since you can re-use the K&N indefinitely by cleaning and re-oiling it. OTOH the K&N doesn't filter as well allowing larger dirt particles and silica dust to enter your engine.

The filter oil won't damage your sensors (mass airflow specifically) but you may have to clean the MAS more often. The jury is still out on this.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

I am using a throttle body spacer from Airaid and I love it, I am using it in combination with the K&N Typhoon short ram cool air intake.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default I do

Originally Posted by Clang
After hearing from a buddy that this would help gas mileage I would like to replace the stanard air filter with a K&N filter.
Sooo....
I also heard that the the oil from these type of filters can cause the sensors to go bad in the air intake.

I am using a throttle body spacer from Airaid and I love it, I am using it in combination with the K&N Typhoon short ram cool air intake.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clang
Sooo....

Sorry to have to point this out, but changing your air filter has nothing to do with "Forced Induction" ! You got the wrong subforum dude! Try "Drivetrain & Power" !