Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-forced-induction-1793/)
-   -   warranty after turbo lol (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-forced-induction-1793/warranty-after-turbo-lol-111032/)

toolz 08-10-2007 06:55 AM

warranty after turbo lol

Just asking a general question here, will installing a turbo and fuel management system on my new bx completly void the powertrain warranty of just parts of it lol

OldYeller 08-10-2007 07:00 AM

Read the truth:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55338

toolz 08-10-2007 07:09 AM

dude sweet link, that should be stickied on all forums

Mr_Meaty 09-08-2007 05:52 PM

For those of you who just read the short blurb at the top, a turbo puts undo stress on the motor, so if anything happens to your motor or to yoru transmision, it will be very easy to prove that the turbo was the cause of it.
So, yes, turbo = no more warantee for engine and transmition.

toolz 09-10-2007 12:56 AM

unless you just installed everything to stock again. could they really prove you had a turbo on it?

Mr_Meaty 09-10-2007 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by toolz
unless you just installed everything to stock again. could they really prove you had a turbo on it?

That would be lying, and dishonest.
But if they really tried hard enough, the probably could.
They could just look into the black box and check how many times you hit the rev limiter or how hard the car was run and then not warantee it because the car was abused.

rdfxb 09-10-2007 04:32 AM

They cann't void your warranty because the car was redlined. The redline is there to be hit, trust me the red line is way before the car can be damaged. And all new cars anyways stop the engine from over revving to prevent damage. Go outside and red line it, all it will do is sound like it's running out of gas like a on and off on and off, type of running. Those boxes are really used for traffic accidents so you can tell if somebody was speeding and out of control and that's the only way they can be used. And even using the box for that purpose is a problem when lawyers get involved.

Mr_Meaty 09-10-2007 04:50 AM

Aw, c'mon, I was just trying to scare the kit out of installing a turbo, breakign something, taking it off and expecting warantee to cover it!

Bigfieroman 09-11-2007 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Aw, c'mon, I was just trying to scare the kit out of installing a turbo, breakign something, taking it off and expecting warantee to cover it!

So wait, you imply that lying and dishonesty is bad, and immediately lie to try to get the person to heed your advice?

Now I agree that lying and dishonesty is bad, but you have already lied, the OP is just considering it.

Mr_Meaty 09-11-2007 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty

So wait, you imply that lying and dishonesty is bad, and immediately lie to try to get the person to heed your advice?

Now I agree that lying and dishonesty is bad, but you have already lied, the OP is just considering it.

:lol: Ah, didnt' think about that!
um.....OH, I KNOW! I didn't lie. I was just misinformed!

OH, how about, "I was only lying to him to protect him!"
"it was for his own good!"

JoMac 09-11-2007 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by toolz

Chances are...yes. They will be able to tell things have been taken off and put back on again.

rdfxb 09-11-2007 11:33 PM

Yes JoMac is right, they will be able to tell a turbo has been there even though you have removed it. Do what i'm going to do wait until the warranty is up and the car is payed for, then buy the xb3 and install turbo that has been fine tuned for 4 years, meaning 4 years later from now. And enjoy your fast xb2 while you modify your xb3. That's what i'm going to do at least that's what i hope on doing.

BloodHoundFan 09-12-2007 01:10 AM

Don't you have to tap in some oil lines for the turbo kit? they would notice that for sure. (where the lines ran out / in.

Mr_Meaty 09-12-2007 02:17 AM

When they say back to stock, they mean swapping out the tapped oil pan for a stock oil pan.
I still have my stock oil pan.

L4rry_B1rd 09-12-2007 02:25 AM

They can check the ECU and see the huge increase in air-flow and fuel... so yes they will be able to tell a turbo was installed even if you remove it.

Bigfieroman 09-12-2007 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
They can check the ECU and see the huge increase in air-flow and fuel... so yes they will be able to tell a turbo was installed even if you remove it.

Or you could just disconnect the battery for a couple days and the data will be lost...

whitebreadbox 11-12-2007 12:37 AM

OR, you could just do it, stick it to every nay-sayer here :P and then bend over when you have to get your car worked on. :cry: Just know that technology will keep you in line, ie, you won't be able to lie about turboing your xb. a lot of people have done it... consult them first. weigh the pros and cons and be ready to drop some loot if you hear that dreaded POP. its your car and your money... and you only die once!!!

tCtCtC 11-22-2007 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by badcooliebwoy

wtf are you trying to get to 50 posts to sell something?

dodaddy 11-24-2007 01:06 AM

wow thats a great link old yeller!!!