Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

fog light switch alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 04:56 AM
SL Member

Default fog light switch alternative?

im new to the XB but not new to toyota and their love of re-useing the same parts of differing options across multiple platforms IE look at the intermittent wiper stalk that can be snagged from a yaris, prius and a hand full of others

this begs a fresh question ive been hunting the net for..what about the semi rare "fog" stalk....i cant find any reference to anyone XB ever running one

i have one on its way should be here monday...i intend to install it in an 09 thats pre wired for fogs

can this be done? has it been done and i just cant find record of it?...we have this same setup on an 07 canadian 5dr yaris and love it..so it only makes sense to do the same on the 09 xb
Old 03-02-2023, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't count on this working. This stalk is from a different base platform. Same reason you can't use the 1st or 2nd gen Prius wiper stalk on a 2nd gen xB, but the 3rd Gen Prius stalk works fine. I would expect the connector in the column to be different and there to be no provision for the wiring in the clock spring. Hopefully I'm wrong and it works, but I don't think it will.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:19 PM
SL Member

ok then, that begs a couple of other questions then

is there even a fog light on the dash that gets lit up?
was a fog stalk even an option on an XB....from what ive seen i feel like an attempt was made and failed by toyota..since its all prewired, yet the lower grill is kinda a OEM hack job

of course it also raises another question, involving the clock spring.....how many different clock springs were made for the XB(or is there another from say a prius) that would work)....im thinking about "extra wires" for things like the steering controls etc that could potentially be utilized

im seriously looking at ways to make it work and make it look like it was factory
Old 03-03-2023, 05:26 AM
SL Member

my unit arived today and i got looking at it and remembered from the yaris that its on the column side of the clock spring so..aside from not locking into the clock spring holder correctly i cant see it not working, tho i may have to come up with a plug from something that has the correct stalk plug..which is pretty much all prius/yaris/rolla etc that uses the stalk
Old 03-03-2023, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock fog light switch is a push button that is to the left of the steering column on the lower dash next to the traction control switch. You can pick up the factory switch for $50-70 or get a look alike one for $10-20 on ebay.

You can see the location in this picture. It's more designed as a set and forget location since it turns off when the headlights are turned off. The switch can be put in the blanks on either side of the traction control switch.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
The stock fog light switch is a push button that is to the left of the steering column on the lower dash next to the traction control switch. You can pick up the factory switch for $50-70 or get a look alike one for $10-20 on ebay.

You can see the location in this picture. It's more designed as a set and forget location since it turns off when the headlights are turned off. The switch can be put in the blanks on either side of the traction control switch.
fully aware of that, however its very "out of the way" and worse..even by toyota's standards feels like an after thought

instead im looking at figuring out how to get the fog stalk setup to work instead or in conjunction with, our 07 yaris for example i switched over to a fog stalk that turns off with the headlights, but also have a fog switch that can be turned on independently both are actuly isolated

ive simply found its a whole lot nicer to have it on the stalk where its in fingers reach instead of reaching around for a switch panel

initial results have shown me that its not hard to do but that im not sure a oem "part" exists persay, but a "kitbash" of oem parts can pull it off
the big trick is the fact that the headlight stalk is intigrated as part of the clock spring retainer and my rough digging doesnt show a matching clockspring mount with fog
now with that said, that entire generation of stalk shape can be taken apart and the parts interchanged, and in fact the fog switch in the stalk is nothing but 2 wires that are pretty independent, so initialy all thats needed is to move the stalk itself within the switch assy, after that its a matter of adding low volt relay to trigger the dash light

ill post pics if it works as i suspect it will
Old 03-06-2023, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a fun project if it can be made to work.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:48 PM
SL Member

took some hunting but i came across a camry of all things with the EXACT fog stalk that was needed, i just need to make a mini harness for it now, but yes a quick test proved it worked, and the unit has been in use now for a month, just havnt had time to make the harness from the switch to the OE fog switch wiring
Old 05-04-2023, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We, damn. Nice job getting it to work.