Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2012 xB audio questions for a newbie!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 AM

Default 2012 xB audio questions for a newbie!?

Hey guys, I have a few questions about my new 2012 xB:

1. I thought it would've came with the sirius radio, but, it did not. What's the most cost effective way to add Sirius to the headunit, without adding another radio to the dash (I have the premium Pioneer touch screen unit)

2. When going through settings I've turned the Subwoofer on, and I find the options to have the phase be "normal" or "reverse". Based on the rudimentary knowledge of stereo systems I am guessing the reverse is to serve purpose in case you want to add another sub and they would conradict each other, although I do notice a difference in the way the bass hits when it's normal vs reversed (I can't decide which I like better.)

HOWEVER what I couldn't figure out is what the "LEVEL ADJUSTMENT" meant under those settings. It seems to be set at 0 by default and go from -20 (or something really low) to +6. Does the HIGHER number mean MORE bass, or does the LOWER number indicate more bass because the bass is on the lower end? I don't get it at all and playing with it makes no noticeable difference. Any advice?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopefully someone with the same head unit will chime in, but I believe there is an add-on for that had unit for Sirius. The normal and reverse settings for the sub are the same as switching the positive and negative speaker wires and is used to combat cancellations between your speakers and sub; pick the one that sounds better lol. Is your system completely stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by DaWiz711
Hopefully someone with the same head unit will chime in, but I believe there is an add-on for that had unit for Sirius. The normal and reverse settings for the sub are the same as switching the positive and negative speaker wires and is used to combat cancellations between your speakers and sub; pick the one that sounds better lol. Is your system completely stock?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah it's completely stock. I found an offical part but it's like 500 bucks

As for the subwoofer settings I cant find much difference in changing the level.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to buy an add on Sirius tuner and receiver to add to the stock radio.
The Sirius ones are almost impossible to find except at the dealer for like $300. For Sirius you need a Sirius SCC1 Receiver (easy to find for around $30) and TOYSC1 (you can also search for a SIRTOY1) tuner (almost impossible to find).

I believe XM is the same (just different part numbers).
Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM

These parts?

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/si...e_adapter.aspx

and:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Sirius-SCC1-...iver-/70984102

?

ALSO - anyone have an answer about the sub levels?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

+ usually means more bass. Not trying to be a smartass either.

The reverse on the sub i believe is to switch phase.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jetas
+ usually means more bass. Not trying to be a smartass either.

The reverse on the sub i believe is to switch phase.
Thanks for the answer, just doesn't make sense to me to have a seperate control, although now that I think about it the equalizer controls the bass to all speakers while the level adjustment would control it JUST to the sub.

Thereoretically then an ideal setup (for punchy bass) would be turn DOWN the overall bass in the equalizer, but turn UP the level in the subwoofer menu, routing more of the bass sound to the sub than the other speakers.

However I think the reality here is that both these settings are to be used when adding another sub or other equipment; The phase select so the two subs would not cancel each other out, and the adjustment to lower the stock subwoofer to an acceptable level to let a 3rd party sub do more work.

That make sense to anyone else LOL
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, those are the parts, but like I said, the TOY-SC1 is really hard to find (the one in your link is out of stock).
I got really lucky and found a set on e-bay for $46 shipped. They pop up every once and a while, so keep an eye out for them.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by The100thDoctor
Thereoretically then an ideal setup (for punchy bass) would be turn DOWN the overall bass in the equalizer, but turn UP the level in the subwoofer menu, routing more of the bass sound to the sub than the other speakers.That make sense to anyone else LOL
When you turn ON the sub setting on your headunit, it should automatically filter the lower bass out of the door speakers and send it to the sub. Subs only do the really low frequencies though so some bass (midbass?) still goes to your door speakers. I'm not sure, but I would assume the EQ settings would filter the sound before it is separated into sub/doors. If so, turning down the bass at the EQ would decrease the overall bass produced by your system.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try this for Sirius
http://www.vaistech.com/dev/sl3s-tkit.php

I had a VAIS system installed in my 2011 with the stock Pioneer so I could use XM. The kit and install was $500 at my local stereo store(Not Bestbuy) The units are comprised of the VAIS SL3s and an XM tuner (the SL3s communicates between the radio and the XM unit) and are hidden in the dash behind the radio. You can use your radio and everything looks and works stock(i.e. bluetooth,USB/AUX/Steering wheel controls etc)

It works very well for me

Good luck
Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello, I have an Alpine in my 8.0 that says XM and Nav ready. Does that mean I also have to buy an add on unit to plug into it?

I have an XM script that came w/ my Lexus that I also want to use in my Box.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-24-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2018, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, you need to buy the add-on modules to get them to work.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Yes, you need to buy the add-on modules to get them to work.
Thanks...