Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2012 xB interior road noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Default 2012 xB interior road noise

I'm looking at a purchase of a 2012 xB. I have read MANY coments about road noise in xB's of 2011 and older. i had a 2009 Corolla that was an excellent car EXCEPT for the incredible amount of road noise. It was an S model with lower profile tires which I'm sure amplified the noise a bit.

To make a long story short I am curious to know if Scion addressed the road noise issue in the 2012 xB's? I did test drive a 2012 and I really liked it however I only got to drive a short distance at lower speeds. Excessive road noise would be a deal breaker for me.
I'm not to interested in laying down $18,000 and finding out later that it is a repeat of the Corolla.

I have seen other manufactures are catching on and adding more sound deadner to their small cars. Anyone got any info on changes to the 2012?
Thanks

Carbuldr

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-29-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

my 2012 has just as much road noise as my fiances 2011. you can always put a dynamat type material underneath the carpet if it's too much noise for your personal preference. i only notice it getting "loud" at 70+mph.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i started dynamatting the car and that helped alot, I still gotta do part of the floor, but it did change it alot
Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've a 2008 and I sound treated the doors (Edead) for the sake of my head unit (a huge improvement), but I really haven't noticed road noise. Perhaps that's something I'll notice more when my driving includes highway?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The stock suspension is not the best. I would take it for a spin and see for yourself though. If your looking for a really smooth ride the xb isn't the best choice. I have to drive 495 everyday through the hot lanes construction area.

To clarify I don't think there is much road noise at all. But damn, my dad's highlander takes corners better for it's size and the only other car I can compare is a bmw 328 so lol.

To clarify my clarification, I drive like a complete asshat but I think you will find the suspension great for daily driving.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly the road noise aint too bad IMO, then again my last car was an 86 nissan hardbody.

Mine seemed to get super loud after the install of the window visors
Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO, road noise in the XB is largely a function of the tires. My car came stock with goodyear RSA's, and I found them pretty quiet for the 1000 or so miles I put on them. They are not great tires though. I switched to 17's with some crapass Fuzion HRI's and good god the road noise on gravelized pavement is horrendous.

My biggest NVH complaint when my car was completely stock was engine noise more than anything else. It seems to have quieted down some from the raucous in cabin noises during its first few thousand miles. Some strategically placed sound deadening material does wonders as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck finding any sub $20k car without a lot of road noise.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had my 2012 for about a week or so and the road noise isn't bad at all. Mine came with the Goodyear RSA's and they aren't as bad as other tires I have had in the past. I plan on sound deadening the doors at some point so that should help cut down on what little road noise I have now.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I would agree that tires are a critical factor in the road noise issue. On the other hand as some of you pointed out sound deadening material can address alot of the road noise. Many manufactures in the past have skimped on insulation in their lower cost cars, leaving the passengers the impression they were riding in a tin can.

In my search for a new vehicle I looked at the Honda Fit, and Kia Soul. For 2012, Honda and Kia both have added additional sound deadener to these vehicles. When I test drove the Kia it was very quiet. Last week my sister purchased a 2012 Toyota Camry which according the brochure, was completely redesigned for 2012 and has added sound deadener to make it quieter inside.

I had hoped this trend had spilled over to the 2012 Scion XB. I do love the XB in every way except for the noise. The thought of paying $18,000 for a new XB and then removing the interior to add sound deadener is bit annoying. But I will probably go this route because I like the XB so much. So, Scion if you are reading this, the message is the competition is beating you by adding such little things as SOUND DEADENER. Of course the 6 speed transmission Kia's offers would be a nice addition to the XB as well.

Carbuldr
Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM

I just got a 2010 and my road noise isn't that bad. The only thing I have noticed is I can hear the gas moving around in the tank at times. I might just dynamat the rear to quiet it down.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To get significant results, you don't have to tear out the entire interior. Get some along the footwell areas where you can see the wheel well bulging into the car, under the hood, and the rear hatch and sides. Road and engine noise will be significantly reduced.

I'd much rather go through the above than buy into a Honda Fit (way too small) or a Kia Soul (ugly inside and out).
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2012 xb has a ton of road noise. I am very unhappy with that. But the car in general is very nice.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM

I'm a recent owner (1 week) of a 12 and the noise is what I think is to be expected for a car at 18K. I have a Venza and it is much quieter then the xb. It also cost twice as much or there abouts.

I think a couple hundred on some matting (your choice of brand name) will make a huge difference. I used about 50 square foot on my tiny TR6 (darn near covered every square inch of the car) and even for a British convertable built from Schlitz beer cans the change was remarkable!

Gordon
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Dynamat will only deaden the metal from resonance. It will help with road noise but the difference will not be that significant unless you add a ton of it. If you want to block road noise the best way is to line the floor with a MLV type material. Check out http://sounddeadenershowdown.com
Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

MLV may be the best for all out sound deadening, but IMO, its too difficult to work with. I've used RaamMat and P&S Ensolite under the hood, some along the firewall, on the doors, the spare tire floor, and on the rear hatch and my road and engine noise are no longer bothersome. The noise level doesn't fool me into thinking the car is a Lexus, but for the ease of use and the results, CLD plus CCF has done wonders for me (and hasn't added much weight).
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM

I have to agree it is a massive pain in the but to work with.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, in my opinion it has lots of road noise, but as fred says; gud luck fiding something new around 20k, one good improvement use non lowprofile tires, and toyos men they do a awesome improvement. I'm running regular profile kumho and these corean tires are no where to compare to toyos.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Over the past couple days I've been adding Dynamat Extreme to the rear doors and so far am pleased with reduction of some of the noise. Started doing the rear hatch but had to take a break since my hands look like shredded beef!

The MLV has piqued an intrest to me for perhaps the floor? I have an open mind and wonder if the MLV would be of a better product than the dyna?

Gordon
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skyraider
Over the past couple days I've been adding Dynamat Extreme to the rear doors and so far am pleased with reduction of some of the noise. Started doing the rear hatch but had to take a break since my hands look like shredded beef!

The MLV has piqued an intrest to me for perhaps the floor? I have an open mind and wonder if the MLV would be of a better product than the dyna?

Gordon
The procedure for sound deadening (loose definition: keeping noise from entering the car and keeping your music in the car):

1. Stop metals from vibrating. Use Constrained Layer Dampers (e.g., Dynamat, etc.)
2. Use Closed Cell Foam (CCF) to create a complex path for noise to travel through. Acts as a spacer to #3.
3. Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV). MLV, when floated above CCF, acts as a solid that blocks sound out completely. You want to have CCF sandwiched in between MLV and your CLDs to help control vibrations and resonance better.

So... CLD -> CCF -> MLV makes for an excellent noise control sandwich.

Quick Reply: 2012 xB interior road noise