Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2012 xB interior road noise

Old 04-21-2012, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does its price have to with peoples desire to modify it to suit their tastes?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jthistle
What does its price have to with peoples desire to modify it to suit their tastes?
I doubt anything, it's just that off the showroom floor, one can probably expect less than from a more expensive model.

I don't have a creak etc. issue (12Kmi), but it could be my aftermarket setup is a factor. Can't say I've really noticed much road noise yet, but I'm clear my aftermarket exhaust is audible -- don't know whether it would concern me on an extended trip.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well of course, but that didn't seem to stop you from adding performance parts.

I wouldn't say my car is horribly loud but some reduction in noise would be great. I drive 40 min each way to work 90% of that at 70+ mph. My exhaust and intake drone a bit. The last tires I bought are louder than the stocks but they new were much better in the snow. Spending a few hundred dollars to make my daily commute less wearing is worth it to me.

Last edited by jthistle; 04-22-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: change layout
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Car and Drivers test sheets are flawed. I checked the test sheet for my fathers G35x and according the test sheet the sound is almost identical to the xB within 1dB which is just not true. The G35 is considerably more quiet than my xB.
Do you still have the test results you obtained using a calibrated SPL meter or are we to just take your word for it?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When it comes down to it the only thing that matters to me is how my ears perceive sound kind of like an auditory butt dyno. If sound deadening makes me happy who cares what others think.

But since you are curious I do have a calibrated microphone and RTA software for my laptop. I will post before and after tests. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that on the internet that sound deadening with MLV reduces road noise, enough such that I am willing to spend money to find out. As for a comparison to the G35 I doubt I will be able to convince my dad to let me borrow it to go speeding around doing tests.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When it comes down to it the only thing that matters to me is how my ears perceive sound kind of like an auditory butt dyno. If sound deadening makes me happy who cares what others think.
I installed Edead in my doors to control sound system associated resonances and it made the car generally quieter. I noticed the license plate tended to rattle easily and couldn't stop it so hit the hatch with Edead as well and that made a huge difference, again making the car a little quieter generally.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Would it surprise you to learn that according to actual sound level measurements conducted by Car & Driver, that a stock 2008 XB is actually quieter than a 2009 Corolla and a 2012 Sonata? So much for subjective impressions comparing modified apples to stock oranges...
I will admit to you Fred that my perceptions are slightly flawed. The last time my suspension was stock was back in 2009. It's now 2012.

1. 2009: Rode around in my stock 2008 xB. Only heard wind noise against the windshield. Tire noise when I road on rough roads. Then my A, B, and C pillars began to creak. I believe the windshield creak appeared.

2. 2010: Switched to 18" wheels wrapped in 235/40/18 Wanli tires. Dropped on Eibach Sportlines. Rough, jarring, noisy ride.

3. 2010: Awful windshield rattles began to prominently appear. Brought my xB in for service and drove a 2009 Toyota Corolla (soft, quiet ride; disconnected, robotic driving feeling).

4. 2011: Ride quality started aggravating my back. Switched to Tanabe NF210s to raise the ride, offer more comfort. Switched tires to Kumho Ecsta 225/40/18 so I would scrape less and not roll around on crappy tires.

5. New girlfriend has a 2009 Sonata. Definitely rides nice and quiet. Still around the same price point as a new xB (only $2,000 more, but has bigger engine, more ride comfort, better interior, better economy, and better stereo. All around much better car than my Scion.). Brought my xB in for service and rode a 2011 Toyota Corolla for a few days - very soft, quiet ride; robotic driving feel.

6. 2012: Windshield creak is still very prominent, despite my best efforts at stopping the sounds. Ride quality is still noisy and rough. Planning on switched to stock springs and large, beefy tires on 16" wheels.

I would say it's been a while since I've been in an OEM xB, so it would surprise me that the xB is quieter than a Corolla!

Despite all this revelation, I will still undertake my wheel and suspension plans to make a soft ride. I will also undertake extensive sound deadening (despite the weight additions) as well as wrapping my interior in vinyl or leather for more comfort and quiet).
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I seem to have generated some confusion with my previous posts and will now attempt to clarify what I said and meant. I'm not in any way suggesting that the XB2 is so quiet and rides so smoothly that attempting to improve it is a waste of time. I merely wanted to point out that a STOCK XB2 is quieter than it's direct competition, as quiet and smooth as most cars at the same price point and generally not nearly as noisy, rough and devoid of sound deadening as some of the posts in this thread have suggested. To that end I provided some facts to go with the subjective opinions.

Carry on...
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if it's jsut because my car is newer (2011) but I got into a friend's 2009 the other day and shutting the passenger door made the interior of the car bong like hitting a steel drum.

My 2011 has some extensive sound deadening in it now, but even before that, it never made that kind of steel drum noise before. Perhaps its been improved over the years.

Carbuldr, good to hear the michelins have worked out well for you. I don't think there's really a distinction between pavement and tires being 1st and 2nd though. Any tire will be louder over highly gravelized pavement and quieter on smoother pavement.

I've been reading of some people lining their fender wells with CLD and a layer of ensolite over that. Reports are a drastic improvement in road noise. Problem is, neither CLD or CCF are hard wearing items. If it provides that much of an improvement, replacing it maybe once a year or as needed might still be worth the time.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I seem to have generated some confusion with my previous posts and will now attempt to clarify what I said and meant. I'm not in any way suggesting that the XB2 is so quiet and rides so smoothly that attempting to improve it is a waste of time. I merely wanted to point out that a STOCK XB2 is quieter than it's direct competition, as quiet and smooth as most cars at the same price point and generally not nearly as noisy, rough and devoid of sound deadening as some of the posts in this thread have suggested. To that end I provided some facts to go with the subjective opinions.
And I wish to clarify with you that I have in no way suggested that the stock xB2 ride quality is superb and top-of-its-class! lol. I was comparing to the fact that cars around the same price point are dramatically quieter (especially my girlfriend's Sonata).

Originally Posted by xbdition
I've been reading of some people lining their fender wells with CLD and a layer of ensolite over that. Reports are a drastic improvement in road noise. Problem is, neither CLD or CCF are hard wearing items. If it provides that much of an improvement, replacing it maybe once a year or as needed might still be worth the time.
I've contemplated doing this myself at some point. I feel that if I were to add sound deadening into the wheel wells, I would like to tackle it from the engine bay and try to line the interior rather than the exterior of the wheel well.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
And I wish to clarify with you that I have in no way suggested that the stock xB2 ride quality is superb and top-of-its-class! lol. I was comparing to the fact that cars around the same price point are dramatically quieter (especially my girlfriend's Sonata).
Apparently the world's automotive press should ditch their sound meters and have you test drive the cars instead. I for one would much prefer reading your totally subjective impressions to accurate, quantifiable and repeatable scientific test data.

"Well the sound meter may read the same but I'm telling you that the Corolla is dramatically quieter and my GF's $3500 more expensive Sonata is especially quieter than that" ...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131

I've contemplated doing this myself at some point. I feel that if I were to add sound deadening into the wheel wells, I would like to tackle it from the engine bay and try to line the interior rather than the exterior of the wheel well.
Good luck with that bro, and if you pull it off, please do tell how. I took one look in the engine bay and knew for me it would be a no go.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Elemental Design's v3 or v5 might be a good choice for vibration damping in the engine bay. But putting anything in the engine bay will likely smell when it is heated.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 PM

As a follow up I must say after putting another 500 miles on the XB I am surprised just how quiet it is. I read ALL the road tests and reviews of the XB before I made my purchase. I spent MANY hours looking at ALL the different reviews, youtube videos etc.

A number of times I read DIRECT conflicting reviews from the 'road test reviewers'. One said the car was quiet and smooth saying they had tested the XB on the bone jarring freeways of San Diego. Another reviewer said while driving the XB their constant companion was excessive road noise.

Yet another commented on the quietness of the 2012 XB and stated that Scion officials told them that the XB had added sound deadener for the 2012 models. Some said the XB was under powered others said it had plenty of power. Numerous reviewers complained about MPG figures. I doubt that ANY of the reviews were conducted under the same conditions. Each reviewer had a different set of previous personal experience to draw upon when reaching their so called EXPERT review.

These reviewers are giving their opinions and opinions are like ___ holes, everybody has one. Some are better than others.

My conclusion is this. The 2012 XB I purchased is surprisingly quiet overall. I believe the Michelin tires help a great deal. The mileage is excellent especially when compared to the real world MPG figures people are getting with similar sized engines in other vehicles. It also has plenty of power.

Many manufactures offer BS fuel ratings. I have checked the MPG with every fill up and found it to be better than what Scion lists on the window sticker. For any of you that want to know what real world MPG figures are you can find them at http://www.fuelly.com/ .

The paint and body work on many of the cars I have been involved with cost more alot than a new XB does. So for me I think a new XB is an incredible value when you consider all the standard features, reliability, resale value and its unique unmistakable look.

Carbuldr

Last edited by Carbuldr; 04-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 AM

Default Sqeaky and Road noise bad on 2012

Listen if u like a creaky front windshield and a squeak in the back over every bump and can't hear the radio from road noise then this vehicle is for you. I loved the size and get up and go but the squeaks drove me nuts I sold mine and will not own another one....cya Scion.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my 2012 xB about 6 months ago.. I love the car, as far as road-noise goes it isn't too bad, the ride could be a little gentler but I did get it with 18s. What does bug me about the car are a few persistent rattles - one coming from what seems to be the passenger side visor joint - perhaps just because it's new and stiff, but this squeaks badly.. then another mysterious rattle from the right rear.. I have no idea where this is coming from, but those are my only major complaints thus far.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cyascion
Listen if u like a creaky front windshield and a squeak in the back over every bump and can't hear the radio from road noise then this vehicle is for you. I loved the size and get up and go but the squeaks drove me nuts I sold mine and will not own another one....cya Scion.
This is EXACTLY what I'm going through!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tax season this year is going to get me a new head unit and a sound deadner treatment. I am going to use a Dynamat type substance and cover the entire floor from the front seat foot area all the way to the hatch. Then I am going to do the doors and hatch, then the walls of the hatch area. I will finish off the project with the roof.

I want to make it limo quiet inside. I will be starting with the sound deadner, and then move to other materials if/when needed. I will update this thread when the project is finished and let you all know how it turned out.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insulate the areas around the wheel wells, it's tire noise i did mine and it's very quite.

jst my exper.