Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2013 Scion xB factory stereo + subwoofer?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Default 2013 Scion xB factory stereo + subwoofer?

hey guys!
I wanna hook up a subwoofer to my Pioneer factory headunit.
I have the OEM factory Pioneer stereo that came standard on 2013 xBs
this is not the touch screen version
I found out u can hook up a amp + woofer.
so I was thinking on buying a JL audio W7 10' inch woofer
plus a JL audio AMP big enough to keep up with the woofer.

My question is = Has anyone done this before?
whats the outcome?

I just want some nice bass in the rear and keep my factory headunit for now. im going to upgrade in the future to a Alpine headunit, but for now the Pioneer stereo is fine.
reason why im going with a single 10 and not dual 12s is because I wanna keep some decent cargo space in the rear.

let me know what u guys think about this set up.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM

anyone??
Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

perfect if all you want is some bass and cargo space. the headunit should have its own subwoofer level so it wont mess with your door speakers.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did exactly what you are asking and the result was awesome! yes, the stock (non-touch screen head unit) has the ports available to hook up an amp and sub. A lot of people build spare tire boxes and under-seat boxes to save space, which is great, but i wanted the sub to hit hard! so i bought a large box (takes up like 40% of the trunk lol) and i could not be happier with the result! Your JL setup might even hit harder than mine lol. I didn't want to spend a lot - and I didn't - but the result was well worth it. And the best part is that I can remove the sub anytime if I need that extra storage area for an ikea visit or something.

pics are here:https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=170

description are here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=169

and check out my entire build thread if you're interested - the link is in my signature below.

for some background, my plan was to have these two installed and use a dash-mounted ipad mini for music/movies/navi but the mount that i made for the ipad mini actually would not have worked. on my never-ending todo list is to make a mount that will hold an ipad mini in front of the stock radio.

regarding your point on getting another head unit, go for it if you want. i am sticking with the stocker because it does a great job of what i want - bluetooth connectivity for phone calls, and AUX input from my phone for music. I'm a happy camper.

let me know if you have any q's.

Last edited by midtowndesi; 06-06-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:45 AM

06scioxb thanx for the reply!

midtowndesi , thanx man! I was gonna go with 2 kicker cvr but I need some space in the rear, so a 10" jl audio is on my list. I wanna give JL audio a try. and for now ima stick with Factory HU I like its features. well ill update u guys when I get this set up done.

im also pluggin a JL audio bass control **** to the amp! and it will be drilled near the drivers seat .

thanx again u guys
Old 06-07-2014, 11:01 AM

midtowndesi , I have the same Super White xB, only that mines has tC2 18"wheels .
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very cool - i got another white xb after my first gen 06 xb that was also white. i am rolling on stock wheels bc the roads here suck and will chew up my tires!

as for your bass control, i have the same setup - when i sit in the drivers seat, right in front of my right knee, i have the bass control mounted to the panel there. easy to get to there.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 PM

I put a 2 ohm 10" pioneer under the seat powered by a rockford fostgate mono amp up behind the glovebox. Sounds great and I lost zero cargo space. To turn on the subwoofer level, turn the headunit off, then press the large dial for a couple of seconds. The hidden menu options will appear. I have mine set to car type xb, with the ssp setting on feel. Bass on 0, treble on 0. It sounds very clear for factory speakers.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 PM

Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM

midtowndesi that's exactly where I was thinking on mounting mines!
5zero4 can I access the hidden menu now with stock speakers? or I need to have an amp hooked up? and by the "large dial" do u mean the round volume **** button?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, you can access the hidden menu now following zero's instructions above.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by killahXB2
midtowndesi that's exactly where I was thinking on mounting mines!
5zero4 can I access the hidden menu now with stock speakers? or I need to have an amp hooked up? and by the "large dial" do u mean the round volume **** button?

Yes and yes.

My sub box is a modified version of the whiteymarvin box. He did up a google sketchup file and posted It on here somewhere.

I basically added the tunnel underneath for the floor vent and brought the back end all the way back to the end of the seat tracks to add more volume. I then angled the bottom edge for more rear passenger toe space. I could have also added more volume by including the area under the door side seat track more, but it was too late. I have about 0.5 cubic foot, so that's right in the middle of what the sub needs.

Last edited by 5zero4; 06-09-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 06-09-2014, 08:45 AM

5zero4 do ur woofer sounds good with that set up? how much did u spend total?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:38 PM

I think it sounds pretty darn good. It's pretty well balanced with the speakers and my amp is only at about a third gain. The amp is a Rockford Fosgate pbrx1-300. I got some pretty good deals on stuff. I think all up including amp, sub, cables and materials for the box it was about $250.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 PM

Keep in mind you have to relocate some sensors and stuff under the seat for clearance. There is a metal bracket that some bend flat. I drilled out the spot welds so if I ever needed to, I could rivet it back on. There are a bunch of threads on how to build the box and get everything to fit.