Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Am I damaging my subwoofers?? Custom Enclosure In Trunk

Old 08-10-2018, 01:03 AM

Default Am I damaging my subwoofers?? Custom Enclosure In Trunk

I recently built a subwoofer enclosure into my trunk. It's a sealed enclosure with about 600 watts RMS going to each 10" Dayton DVC subwoofers crossed at 80hz. The subwoofers have protective grills and there is enough clearance so the woofer surrounds will NOT touch the grill during full excursion. Also, I typically have the Scion factory mat covering everything because it looks clean, and gives my giant dog grip when we drive around.

**My question and concern is, when I have items in the trunk covering the subs (say a giant bag of dog food something), is it possible the subwoofers can be damaged because the air can't move? I'm not asking about sound quality and sound output, I'm asking if the subs can be damaged when covered? My hunch tells me no damage will occur because the air that is moving is happening INSIDE the enclosure. ???

Old 08-10-2018, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, you can damage your subs that way but only if you are playing it loud enough to create a large amount of back pressure due to the mat and stuff on top of it. In normal use, no it's not really an issue as between the trunk liner carpet you used on the enclosure and the gap between the sub and the mat there are enough air leaks to let the air escape.

I would recommend perforating the the mat over the subs for normal use though, so as to improve the sound quality.