Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

XM Radio Installation - Poor Audio Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Default XM Radio Installation - Poor Audio Quality

Hello All!

I just installed my XM radio in my week old xB.
I connect the RCA 3.5mm plug between the audio out and the Aux input (next to the iPod connector), and I have tried three different cables. Three major results - and I think that they are related:

The first already has a post: The whining noise that tends to follow the engine usage - I tried thicker shielded cables, but it didn't help.

The second is that the aux input jack doesn't accept/line up with the plug - meaning that to get both stereo channels to work, I have to push the plug in, and then gently pull it out until the connection is perfect to allow it.

The third is that the audio quality that I am getting through the speakers is on par with a $5 radio, where the speakers are de-magnetized/blown and it is so very tinny.

I took an iPod and plugged it into it's port, and the audio and control through the radio is absolutely beautiful and crystal clear.

I have an MP3 player, and utilizing the 3.5mm cable to the aux input, the audio is even worse. Not only was the whine there, but the audio was tinny, and I had to crank the audio on the radio to the highest level to get any acceptable output to the speakers.

As a result this has me thinking thinking that the aux input plug is extremly poor, or it isn't grounded properly, or the input to the radio isn't quite right.
Any ideas?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same issue on a camry...sucks
Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bad grounding (humming, hissing) usually comes from having a device being powered from the 12v outlet and then plugging into the aux creating a ground loop. It happened to me on my girl's Mazda3 and a ground loop isolator worked perfectly. You can find them at Crutchfield for $25 or so if I recall correctly.
This is bad news for me as I'm looking to hook up an XM Inno :-/ I'll have to look into it more thoroughly if the audio quality is indeed poor.