Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 AM

Default Audio upgrade

Got my 2012 Scion xB last week. Love it but the audio is way too harsh. I am not an audio techie kind of person but I want to know what is the best course of action for me....new speakers or head unit? I kind of like the base unit that is installed. Is the Premium unit worth it? Will the stock speakers sound better? If not the Premium, any suggestions?

or...will new speakers with base unit be a significant improvement? Budget is $500. I welcome any brands. I love the usb jack in the center console and don't want to lose that in lieu of a head unit with an external usb. I love having the ipod hidden and tucked away in the center console. And I want to keep the hands free and the steering wheel controls. My dealer is installing the Sirius option later this week.

I will not be installing it...scared to death to do it myself. I just want a warm, clear full sound. I listen to mostly jazz, world and classical. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is my first post...new user here.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a new head unit and upgrade the door speakers. If you shop around you can get very nice speakers and head units for that budget easy and it will transform the sound a lot

I personally love pioneer stuff, I have the older pioneer AVH-P4000 and pioneer 3 ways that I picked up off ebay for around 450 total. Pioneer makes a 4 speaker that would sound awesome and if you get a AVH model head unit like a lot of people on this forum you won't go wrong
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Just my opinion. I just bought my xb about a month ago and the audio is the first upgrade I always do. Seeing that I didnt have the money to buy the whole thing at once and I already had a sub and amp from my previous vehicle, my first thing I did was buy another amp for the door speakers. I was really wanting to get my sub installed and figured I might as well do both at the same time.

Honestly, with a sub and an amp tuned well with the crossover pushing the stock speakers, it sounded pretty good. The amp is running 75 watts rms each channel, and the stock speakers handled that really well. The next thing I did was upgrade the door speakers and it sounds really good. The head unit is the only thing left stock. And like you, I really liked the features it had. Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, aux ports.

Personally, my opinion is unless you want video capability or something like that, leave the head unit alone. Up grade the door speakers and amp, and seriously you will like it.

You can shop around for speakers. I usually find the best deals on amazon. I bought the Rockford Fosgate P165 2ways for the rear doors and Rockford Fosgate R1652-S componants for the front. Those ran me about $150 on Amazon. I have a Rockford Fosgate R400-4D amp running them. You can find those for under $200 online. That's $350 for everything, then just have to get someone to install it. I did it all myself, but if you dont feel comfortable, pay someone.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I upgraded just the head unit and the quality of sound increased ten fold. Headunit is going to be one the best upgrades you can do in a car. One with a nice high quality processor and a built in eq like the pioneer I was talking about.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the wonderful advice. I am going the speaker and amp route. Parrishbjj, are you happy with Rockfords? Big noticeable change? I am thinking of the same setup as you since it fits my current budget. Oreo: I am gonna hold off on head unit only because, I am sure prices will drop in a year.

The Polk db6501 speakers are also looking good. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put in a DDX419 Deck, 2 sets of POLK DXI6500 components Front & Rears, 12 type R Sub and the Alpine V60 5 channel amp to run it all. $1000 total and did the work myself....But the sound is better than any system I've installed before

Polk DXI6500 around 139.99 each set
Type S Components 119.00 each set (little cheaper)
Always buy Alpine amps with any speaker setup as they are the best in my opionion.

Name:  RMSC169.png
Views: 344
Size:  553.1 KB
Old 07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member

I installed a Pioneer AVH3200BT in my XB. I'm glad I left the speakers alone so I could hear the difference a good head unit made. Save the $$$ for now and swap out the head unit first. If you still want to do a speaker swap at least you'll have a good starting point. I'm also using an Axxess unit for the steering controls. Very happy with the Pioneer.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ursula1000
Got my 2012 Scion xB last week. Love it but the audio is way too harsh. I am not an audio techie kind of person but I want to know what is the best course of action for me....new speakers or head unit? I kind of like the base unit that is installed. Is the Premium unit worth it? Will the stock speakers sound better? If not the Premium, any suggestions?

or...will new speakers with base unit be a significant improvement? Budget is $500. I welcome any brands.

I just want a warm, clear full sound. I listen to mostly jazz, world and classical. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
The harshness isn't the speakers, it's the head unit. Personally, I think Kenwood is the best value out there in terms of sound quality per dollar. It shouldn't be necessary to add an amplifier with a good quality HU unless you're into loud music -- given your listening choices, I'd guess you aren't. I suggest replacing the door speakers with better quality at some time, but no need to replace the OE tweeters, they're good.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Yes, Im pretty happy with the RF speakers I got. First time Ive used them and could tell a pretty big difference. Im pretty sure any good aftermarket speakers you use will sound better, especially with an amp that has a crossover. Just do your homework online to get the best prices.

As far as headunits go, I too have had the Kenwood DDX419 and I liked it. But some things to think about. Unless you want video or gps, no need to get something like that. And the one thing in my experience with that particular unit, was the bluetooth sounded really hollow to people I would talk to. Most people I talk to with the stock bluetooth in the XB, dont even know im talking on it. But that was just my experience. Other than that I really liked the HU.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 AM

Default My head hurts

Ok, my head hurts. I did see the Kenwood 419x and a similiar priced Pioneer and JVC head units...they all look fine. But a hollow sounding BT compared to the excellent BT in the base unit. People can't tell I am in the car now. Plus I am afraid of losing all the functionality of the steering wheel controls. What head unit will let me keep that?

Btw, all your input here is much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, my head hurts. I did see the Kenwood 419x and a similiar priced Pioneer and JVC head units...they all look fine. But a hollow sounding BT compared to the excellent BT in the base unit. People can't tell I am in the car now. Plus I am afraid of losing all the functionality of the steering wheel controls. What head unit will let me keep that?

Btw, all your input here is much appreciated.
I recommend you closely consider the preferences of the people who provide inputs to you. If their preferences don't coincide with yours, their recommendations may not be optimal for you. I suggest taking your time with this.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Trevor is correct. That is why Im saying if you dont care about video and gps, then that hu may not be your best choice if you decide to upgrade it. Also, most hu's should be able to keep steering wheel controls with a purchased adapter plug.

BUT, for your price range and what you are not wanting to change from the current head unit, I would just keep the stock one and do the speakers and amp. It really is a decent hu and you can always upgrade it later if you want.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Default You are sooooo...right!

Trevor and Parrish...you both are right. I just like to hear other people's viewpoints. I take everything into consideration and don't hastily jump into the water. Parrish, I do like the base hu. I don't need video or GPS (I got my trusty Tom Tom for that). I know it sounds silly. I like the black matte finish of the base hu. It does everything I need.

A friend has a Honda CRV with all the bells and whistles...voice commands, rear view camera, bluetooth, XM/Sirius and it looks nice...but he keeps a micro cloth in the car to clean the touch screen. In my heart of hearts, I do like the base unit I got.

Now if I up the ante and budget....should I head in the Infinity, Polk direction as far as speakers go. And can I leave my tweeters alone and put in coaxials in the doors?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Regardless of budget (that is for you to decide) I would go with componants in the front and possibly even in the back. Since you will be having someone else install them it's no hassle to you. Componants usually just sound better. Especially the mid bass. Factory tweeters do sound decent, but again since someone else is installing you might as well change those out too.

Only you can decide which speakers to get. My suggestion is go to sonicelectronix.com and read reviews of all the speakers you are thinking about. Then do a google or amazon search for those to find the best prices. Same with the amp.

The amp im running puts 75 watts rms to each speaker at 4 ohms. And it is plenty loud and clear.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM

Parrish, is that the Rockford amp you mentioned in an earlier post? If so, I do like the price.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Found the Rockfords!

Parrishbjj, found all the Rockford speakers and R400-4D amp for $272.98 on EBay. The P165 and the R1652 are $59.99 for each pair and the amp is $153. (Free shipping for all of it) Not bad....thinking of springing for them.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Ya, that is the same amp. And I think you may have saved even a little more money than I did... haha

BUT, I also installed it all myself so I saved money on that. My recommendation as far as installation goes, I installed both of my amps in the space underneath the rear seat. Lines are easy to run and the amp stays hidden. Also, if you need to make adjustments to the crossover or gain, it's easy to lift the rear seat and do it. If I knew how to post pictures of my install, I would.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trevor and Parrish...you both are right. I just like to hear other people's viewpoints. I take everything into consideration and don't hastily jump into the water. Parrish, I do like the base hu. I don't need video or GPS (I got my trusty Tom Tom for that). I know it sounds silly. I like the black matte finish of the base hu. It does everything I need.

A friend has a Honda CRV with all the bells and whistles...voice commands, rear view camera, bluetooth, XM/Sirius and it looks nice...but he keeps a micro cloth in the car to clean the touch screen. In my heart of hearts, I do like the base unit I got.

Now if I up the ante and budget....should I head in the Infinity, Polk direction as far as speakers go. And can I leave my tweeters alone and put in coaxials in the doors?
Keeping the steering wheel controls shouldn't be a problem, adapter modules are available. However, the OE USB port wiring is likely to be specific to the OE HU -- given effort, this may be surmountable (I converted my 2008 from center console AUX and IPOD to AUX and USB).
My personal experience with audio places an emphais on sound quality rather than loudness. I'm looking to carry the quality I'm used to in my home to at least reasonably in my car. If this is you, the most important thing is a good sounding HU, next comes competent speakers. As I've already said, for good sound, there's no need to replace the tweeters, which means there's no need for component speakers (likewise there's probably no need for a separate amplifier). It all depends on what you want. The decisions have to be made by you relative to your personal needs, no-one else can make them.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Trevor, thanks for the insight. I would definitely spring for double din if I could keep the Usb in the center console. I listen to my ipod alot and having it plugged in and tucked away is nice. Having a double din with an external usb would mean plugging the ipod in the front, having the cord hanging...you get the idea.

If I purchased a double din...i would get either the Kenwood 419 or the Pioneer.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bestbuy and Cartoys sales this weekend.

BestBuy: DDX419-349.00
Cartoys: Pioneer-249.00

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade