Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Convenient Cell Phone Dock

Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Convenient Cell Phone Dock

(I've check to see if this has been posted. I didn't check hard enough )

I've been driving my 2008 2Xb for about a month and I got obsessed on where I should place my phone.

I do have a phone dock that connects to the 12V cig lighter and a phone dock that sticks to the windshield. The phone dock that connects to the car lighter was too low for me to realize that its there and didn't want to be moving too much away from my driving view while driving. The phone dock that sticks to the windshield,...well, I thought of implementing that dock, but ....my anxiety says "Keep it OG. Don't block any view from driving."

Still obsessed on where I should place my phone for navigation and bluetooth....

I went to my local autoparts store and found this in their car accessory isle:

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Dash-T...-1-30157-8.htm

...and it gave me an idea

subir fotos online

I used one of those heavy duty plastic velcro to keep the tray from wobbling, and used a dremel to cut the sides off so the power charger can connect to the phone.

This is the view from the driver's position:

subir fotos

I didn't have another phone to demonstrate since I was using my phone to take pictures. The phone that I used was a Samsung Galaxy S4. It fits perfect and looks flushed. Other phones will fit but not as flushed. Samsung Note I or II might be too big. When driving, the phone doesn't fall off the tray at all.

Hope this helps for those people looking for another way to place their phone. Don't text and drive
Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very cool setup and much respect for the DIY approach.

i've been trying to find a place for my iphone as well and i have just been tossing it into the coin hold area, directly behind the two cup holders. i have been wanting to mount it somewhere next to the shifter but haven't figured out how to yet.

I have been wanting to make a mount or something that will hold my phone in this location (marked by the red box)

I would like my mount by the shifter so i can change a song, for example, without having to take my eyes off the road.

i really like your mount idea though, cheap simple & effective! i am all for that.

Last edited by midtowndesi; 08-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got my ikross IKHD18 slim mount and will be trying it out on the shifter area tonight. I'll post pics if it works out well.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to just sit my phone between the shifter boot and the HVAC controls.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I don't think my Note 2 would fit in that little thing.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 AM

I did the same thing with my iphone 5. I have a slide in holster that I use and just got a second holster, removed the clip and stuck it to the dash in that position. I ran the power cable through the dash and exiting from the radio surround inline with the holder. It's really good when using nav.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member

haha interesting. what holder is that?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great. any finished pics?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the holder on last night and it works well. The base is a little large for the space so it hangs off slightly. It is solid and holds the phone in a much better position for visibility.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
very cool setup and much respect for the DIY approach.
Thanks.

As for your idea sound like a great idea as well. And looks cool. I'd never thought about using that space to place the phone. I would like to see a pic if you got it done.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice mod, great idea
Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djgenesay
Thanks.

As for your idea sound like a great idea as well. And looks cool. I'd never thought about using that space to place the phone. I would like to see a pic if you got it done.
i am very cheap so i was looking around my house for things to use for a cellphone holder as mentioned above. no kidding, i found an old calculator and the cover for it fits the phone PERFECTLY! i double-sided taped the holder to the spot outlined in red in my previous post and its awesome!

i just "installed" it today but didn't take any pics. will take pics tomorrow and share. my phone + thin case fit perfectly in the calculator cover. i cut a long hole at the bottom of it so the audio and charging cables hang from there.

i know, sounds ridiculous and cheesy, but the finished product isn't that bad. i drove around all day today and the phone barely budged from the location.

will post pics manana.

Last edited by midtowndesi; 08-10-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "mount" - just a calculator cover doube-sided taped to my center console. cut the bottom of the cover so i had space for my charging + aux cable.

i just put my phone in there and it fits perfectly. barely any wiggle room but it's loose enough that the phone comes in and out with ease. plus its mounted in a place where nothing is obstructed - can still shift fine, access the hazard button, etc.

simple? yes. ghetto? yes. ugly? i think so. but it works for me and is really convenient.

i drove around with it all day today playing music and had absolutely zero issues with the phone coming out or loose. it literally stays in place.

** dont mind the red wires under the dash - was installing some cathodes and they're all tucked away now:D
Old 11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone come up with any other cool phone mounts/ideas?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Low profile universal mount...Spring loaded = Secure and discrete unless you own a phablet.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 PM

I went through a couple set ups, settled on ibolt dock. Keeps it right in front of me. Still need to do the mod to add a USB port in the coin tray to the left.

Name:  nRQ1X35.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

I've used 2 different mounts from ProClipUSA for my various phones and my xB2. The best one, which sadly they no longer sell, sat next to the gear shift like this...

(random google images photo)

(My photo)
And here it is with the device mount attached to it.

They also sell another one that goes up by the vent and head unit.
(proclipusa photo)

I can't find a photo of mine with a device mounted to it, but I didn't use it for long. The one by the shifter is superior, I wonder why they stopped making them.

I sold my xB and still have both mounts. I'll sell them for $25 each shipped or $40 shipped for both if anyone is interested. I also have matching proclipusa device cradles for an HTC EVO or a PPC-6700 (pictured above) for $10 each. I have photos of those I can dig up if you want.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM

MaxTwelve -
What is this mod to add a USB port in the coin tray to the left that you are talking about? I would like to know more about this, if you could be so kind as to point me in the right direction ...
Thanks!