Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HID Kit blowing panel fuse

Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default HID Kit blowing panel fuse

Ever since I have installed my hid kit my panel fuse (7.5a) blows when I turn the low-beams on. I went through 3 fuses today double checking to make sure that was causing it. With the kit disconnected it doesn't happen. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? The hid kit is a harnessed direct to battery style and is fused. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you get it from MobileHID?
his kit has a fuse which would solve your troubles. got to MobileHID and read the differences between kits with and without them
Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yes in fact it is the MobileHID kit... and it is fused :D
Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I haven't been really paying attention to the new xB's but i was under the impression that HID came stock. I'm not saying anything bad but it's another reason i wouldn't trade.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

projectors are stock but they are halogen......

My kit has been working good.
Connect one side to the stock harness
hids to ballasts
positive to positive negative to negative.......... everything is prety simple.
PM Cliff, he might be able to help you or get you a new kit if its defective
Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Honestly... why did you even bother to post that here? There are several other threads for you to complain about how you don't like the '08 xB.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, maybe one day Gen1 and Gen2 xBers will get along
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Lets not let this thread turn into that I am trying to actually get some input on a problem. The last thing we need is another bash on the new box thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM Cliffud
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hhmmm.. seems weird, i would def contact cliff and see if he can replace the harness or the entire kit.. good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Already did... I know it seems like no one every has any issues with his kits but I might just put my Kaixen ballasts in instead. They are non harnessed and I never in the year I had them on my 1st gen had any issues.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing that can cause this is if the wire to turn on the relay is shorted. That wire is fed by your stock H11 harness.

So this is what you do. Pull the relay from the socket. Now try to turn on your headlights with the HIDs connected. Does the fuse blow? If not, then you probably have a bad relay. Cliff can send you another one or you can buy one for a buck or two from the parts store.

If the fuse blows with the relay disconnected, you either have a short in the turn on wire somewhere between the H11 socket and the relay harness. I would suspect the harness to be defective in this case although you could have a a wire breach somewhere. Check to make sure that ground wire doesn't touch the relay wire anywhere in that harness.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Today it gets weirder. I originally thought it was not blowing with the ballasts disconnected but I tried again this morning and it did. There has to be something else that is causing this and the only other electronics I have put it in is my alpine iva-200. I suppose it is possible the wiring harness is putting pressure on something below it where the hvac panel is that could be causing it to short. Very very strange. It is also possible I just have a busted panel and I never noticed it.... soon I will know and then its off to dealership. Thanks for the insight everyone.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, the other thing I would suspect is that the H11 harness is somewhat loose where it plugs into the headlamp. It could be that you stretched the harness making the connection to the relay harness for the HIDs and in the process of stretching it you shorted the wire against some sheet metal.

I don't know how the fuses are setup in the car either but if it is 7.5a, that's probably not the headlight fuse. It could be the parking lamp fuse which turns on with the headlights. Again, when you were installing the HIDs, there is a chance you could have shorted out the parking lamp wire. When troubleshooting these kinds of problems, it's good to give wires a wiggle to dislodge them from shorts. Work in a single area at a time, wiggle the harnesses offsetting their positions, then test to see if the problem still exists.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The 7.5a fuse is listed for the panel inside that provides the lighting for the hvac and shift bezel. It doesn't provide the 12v until the parking lights are turned on.

I am assuming at this point its got to be something in the actual panel that is causing the fuse to continuously blow considering that even with the ballasts unplugged it resulted in a blown fuse.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, since the stereo is your only modification near that circuitry, I'd suspect that...

The stereo does have a dimmer wire that ties into the HVAC lighting circuitry I bet. This would be the orange color wire feeding the Alpine. I don't know if you installed the deck yourself, but pull it out. It's really easy to do. Hopefully the stereo was installed with an aftermarket harness so you can just yank that whole harness. Then see if your fuse blows. If it doesn't you know the problem exists with the stereo install and most likely in the harness.

Maybe the wiring job is shorting that dimmer wire or the wire got shorted into the brace in the back and on the sides.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I installed it myself with the metra harness same deck that I had in my 1st gen and never had this issue but I will check that wire to be sure. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Skulls&Candy - so whatever happened with your fuse issue? Perhaps the deck is pulling too many amps?

Keep us posted, I almost wish it was my kit that was the problem because it would have been an easy fix for you but if it's blowing fuses with just normal bulbs - I'm confused on what it could be.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default Change the 10 amp stock fuse to a 20 amp

Change the 10 amp stock fuse to a 20 amp
Old 08-26-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Change the 10 amp stock fuse to a 20 amp

Originally Posted by trhashmetal
Change the 10 amp stock fuse to a 20 amp
Ok, that's about the worst advice EVER.