Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

D Unit gets a proper SQ install by Simplicity Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default D Unit gets a proper SQ install by Simplicity Sound

When Mrs. D_Unit traded in her bling-bling 3 carat earrings for this XB I promised her the stock navigation unit. But after some quick research, we dumped that option and decided to spend the 2 grand we saved on an after market system instead. Good thing we did... Good thing we found the proper installer... Good thing we didn't have to spend a fortune, but holy crap, it sure looks and sounds like we did.

If any of you are located anywhere near San Jose, CA. and need a competent, ****, obsessive-compulsive perfectionist to meet your car audio needs, Bing is your guy. If you're still looking for another **** obsessive compulsive for something else, then you might want to try Craigslist in the personals section. But seriously, I simply told him that I have a $2K budget that I saved from canceling the stock navigational unit option, and he said no problem.

Why spend 2 grand on just the stock navi when you can get ALL this for a similar price?
Pioneer AVIC D3 + Ipod Adapter + Steering Wheel Controls
Image Dynamics 6.5" Components
Image Dynamics ID12v3
Simplicity Sound Custom Installation

Goals:
1. Decent SQ on a budget
2. Full stealth while retaining all storage bins in the back.

Upfront, the signal starts with a Pioneer Avic-D3 Navi Headunit. Front stage is a pair of Image Dynamics Chameleon 6.5" component set with the tweeters sunk into the A pillars.

Here's a closer look at the driver side tweet...

The Chameleon mid basses were mounted in the stock location and as usual, the entire door is dampened with Edead v4 and ue...

To save me some $$$, we agreed to leave the rear speakers stock running off the D3. After auditioning to the car, I have absolutely no regrets with that decision.

As for the trunk, this is what it looks like when you open the hatch. As you can see, 100 percent completely bone stock looking...

Even when you remove the carpet, it looks like this--STILL looks like stock!

Lift up the stock floor cover, and here is the system. Fake floor in CF vinyl, a single ID12v3 sits in a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure, while a DLS performance CA51 5 channel runs the entire show, framed by a cut out. The amp is running the front stage active, sending 65-75 watts to each mid and tweet, and around 250 watts to the sub

It's so simple, it's genius...

BTW, Bing made an adjustment to the false floor to make it hinged that's not shown in the picture. So, if I ever want to use the stock storage bins in the rear, I don't have to pull out the false floor, but simply lift the end part up since it's hinged. I'll get some pics of it later for you guys... Hey UberSpeed, you might want to check out the hinged false floor--pretty sweet.

We just received the car last night, but we are totally happy with it so far. It was a great experience working with Bing and have no problem recommending him for people on a budget or those that don't have one. Bing easily met all our expectations and even got the car done one full day ahead of schedule. It's been raining here in Cali all week, but I'm going to clean the whip up a bit and have my beautiful photographer take some pics for you guys...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW Nice, Clean, super sweet!!! Congratulations!! can we get a peek of the underside of your false floor.. with the thing 'hinged up'??.. Good Job!!!!

by the way.. what does SQ mean??
jh
Old 01-25-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SQ = sound quality (as opposed to SPL -"sound pressure level"). It's like saying quality vs. quantity.

D - nice setup! I've had IDQ subs in 2 cars and I love them. They don't need a ton of power either. 250 w is perfect.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Wow, that looks very good. That is what I've been looking for. I was planning on the same location, stealth mode, and clean looking. Now I have a template to look at.

Quick question though. Do you have any rattle in the back, especially when the cover is over top of it? I notice that he didn't use the stock rear cargo cover. Is this something he made himself?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

wow.... very very awesome setup! i like it alot! San Jose huh? I might have to make a trip to see this guy when I go with the woman to SF...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate you. I hate that I don't live near Bing.

D, I'm very happy for you bud, glad it looks and I bet sounds amazing!

More pics please! How about a youtube vid with audio to capture a sample? ;)
Old 01-25-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, ur an aHOLE hahahahaha I just messaged Bing after looking at this, u convinced me to do it NOW lol.

NICE NICE NICE is all i can say =)
Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow bing did a great job from the looks of it.

D is mrs D unit happier now that she has good sound and the nav unit???

yeah i would make up a thing in the expirence part of the forums.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
WOW Nice, Clean, super sweet!!! Congratulations!! can we get a peek of the underside of your false floor.. with the thing 'hinged up'??.. Good Job!!!!

by the way.. what does SQ mean??
jh
Will do young man....

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
SQ = sound quality (as opposed to SPL -"sound pressure level"). It's like saying quality vs. quantity.

D - nice setup! I've had IDQ subs in 2 cars and I love them. They don't need a ton of power either. 250 w is perfect.
Bing knew I had my doubts of it being a little underpowered, but is perfect for our tastes. We have an 8 yr old that rides in the back so any more SPL might be considered abuse.

Originally Posted by onemorescion
Wow, that looks very good. That is what I've been looking for. I was planning on the same location, stealth mode, and clean looking. Now I have a template to look at.

Quick question though. Do you have any rattle in the back, especially when the cover is over top of it? I notice that he didn't use the stock rear cargo cover. Is this something he made himself?
For the short time I've had with the car, I haven't heard any rattle. That being said, I have a total SQ oriented system in my M3 consisting of DLS Iridiums 3 way, JL stealths, and Tru Technology amps. As far as this car is concerned, I completed happy of the lack of rattles or other annoying noises. It is clean and simple. But most of all, I loved what I paid and feel I got a complete bargain.
I'm not totally sure of the amp rack and sub enclosure is one piece or not, but it's completely custom. He started working on it Tuesday and gave me a call on Wednesday night saying it was done!

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
wow.... very very awesome setup! i like it alot! San Jose huh? I might have to make a trip to see this guy when I go with the woman to SF...
I'm glad a lot of you guys like it. Check out his website here: http://simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/

Originally Posted by uberspeed
I hate you. I hate that I don't live near Bing.

D, I'm very happy for you bud, glad it looks and I bet sounds amazing!

More pics please! How about a youtube vid with audio to capture a sample? ;)
Move to Cali Uber... In regards to networking, you can teach this old dog some new tricks...
My lady has an SLR, but I don't know if it does video?! I'll try though....

Originally Posted by simplexb
dude, ur an aHOLE hahahahaha I just messaged Bing after looking at this, u convinced me to do it NOW lol.

NICE NICE NICE is all i can say =)
Give yourself an honest budget, and Bing will do the most with it... I spent a lot more on my other cars in the past, and not only was this a real quality job, it by far the best bang for the buck audio work I've ever paid for.

Originally Posted by ibnboxin
wow bing did a great job from the looks of it.

D is mrs D unit happier now that she has good sound and the nav unit???

yeah i would make up a thing in the expirence part of the forums.
When Mrs. D Unit is happy, D Unit scores... Let's just put it that way...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like we can work in IT and have sweet rides while we're at it. Nice!
Definitely great taste D, congrats. :D
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks really sweet!!! Probably a stupid question but did you have to lose the spare for the sub?
5 Year Member

hey guys, thanks for hte kind words Darren, the feeling is mutual bud, when i meet customers, i get all sorts of people, and when people are as niec and accomodating as you, it makes me want to even work harder to please them having siad that i want to point that so far, the haldful of scion guys i have done, all are super nice people...maybe its a trend?

to asnswer some questions real quick:

1. well, the hinge that allows the floor to come up is stock, the stock floor hinges at the front too, its not really hinges, just two little feet that goes into slots. i kept them for the new floor.

2. the new floor i built is out of 1/2" mdf, with a vent cut out for hte sub, rabet routed, and a piece of steel mesh secured to it, and then covered in acoustic carpet, so its sturdy, rattle free, and allows bass to come through easily

3. the box and amp rack is not one piece. the box is a 1 cub feet sealed enclsoure in the back, the amp rack is really just a board, attrached to the hump right behind the seats on one end, and to the box on the other, at the right height so it looks fine when the top board is put over it.

4. i do get a ton of southern california customers too, infact, two out of the 5 scions i have done is from socal hell i just had a car come from kansas lol ;)

So far, all the scions xbs i have done, in this kind of layout, is relatiely simpe ( i did fred's but it was an entreily new floor, deleting the storage bins), but i think there are some more room for creativitity here hehe

any questions, just ask

b
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member

yeah spare is gone, if you go on my site, most of the cars feature no spare.

in town: can of fixaflat and AAA card

out of town long tirps, throw the sapre in the back.

in the xb, this is espeically reaonable becuase whats the point of keeping hte spare down there if getting at it is almost impossible due to the stereo system sitting on top? plus the slteaht factor away from thieving eyes, and the fact tha you loose zero storage space, is always nice :_)
Old 01-26-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great! Since we take the Camry on trips, I could probably do w/out the spare... something for me to keep in mind once I start planning my system.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member

WOW SUPER SEXY!!! How much did all that run you? D-Unit i am super jealous.
Bing know his ish man
Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want your car done Bing is awesome, great work, great guy and totally knows his stuff and humble to boot....

Bing-BTW I have some nice sq head units coming my way to try along with another amp... Active here I come
Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ohh geez.. I live right in San Jose... i still wanna meet and talk with Bing.... heard wayyy too many good things about him..

hey... can i see your install in person?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member

yeah more props for bing. hes a great guy to work with. my install is similar to D's and so far its all good. the sound is amazing and the workmanship is top notch. id recommend him to anyone looking to get a system installed. you cant beat the quality and the price of his installs.

heres a link from a while back from my install-

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...577&highlight=
Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member

good to hear from you Jim :0 glad thigs are still doing well hehe...