Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY 2012 xB Radio Install info, AUX, USB, Sirius XM, Steering Wheel Ctrls, Backup Cam

Old 02-27-2018, 12:10 AM

Default DIY 2012 xB Radio Install info, AUX, USB, Sirius XM, Steering Wheel Ctrls, Backup Cam

2012 Scion xB automatic
Bought Feb, 2018 w/110k miles (I'm about to give away my 2005 xB w/215K miles to 16yr old nephew)

OK, bought a Pioneer NEX stereo as I wanted Android Auto features

Android Auto (and Apple Car Play) brings a few features from your phone to your stereo (Google maps, weather, music, and...that's about it) must use USB cord and it disables your phone while it's plugged in.
Must download Android Auto App. It's nice to top off your battery charge.

Sirius Satellite radio, you'll need "SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner" and have to mount antenna on roof of car for best reception, call and get $5-6/mo service for 12 months, Sirius Art will show up on the radio, neat!

Backup camera, you'll need any backup cam, (got mine on eBay for $13ish). Need to tap into white backup light so when that light comes on (you've shifted into Reverse), power goes to radio (the wire will be labeled) to switch input to camera, AND to camera to turn camera on.
To do this, I had to get extra power wire, about 7ft in total, 16 gauge. Drill a hole next to license plate light (remove that light and large black plastic tailgate cover; pulls off) and use tin snips to cut a slit to the hole. Bent apart to put wires through your newly drilled hole
then bend back and re install white plate light. If this isn't clear, ...you'll figure it out. Whatever size hole you drill buy a rubber grommet to protect the wire. Use a ground on the tailgate chassis, (they are easy to find). Of course an RCA cable will have to run from the camera
to back of stereo (RC Input = Rear Camera Input).

To retain factor USB in the middle console, buy the Axxess AX-TOYUSB. DO NOT buy the version '2' one. Crutchfield will say it doesn't work but they are WRONG. Works perfectly, Android Auto and charging, etc all work great. Super fast and very easy and nice.

Search for (and buy) Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness. (This is just a harness, you'll have to buy the following)...
Also buy the control module "Axxess ASWC-1" and throw away that confusing harness, use the one listed above. You'll need to find RCA female (or male idk) to 1/8th inch headphone adapter to plug into this 70-8114 harness and into your stereo to keep the
AUX input which is right next to the USB port. Easy.

I took the light out, cut the metal to get wire through because even a 3/8th bit was too small for RCA head to fit through.

Tailgate open and up, with plastic cover pulled off.

Blue wire tap to 16Ga wire that goes to camera AND radio.

Axxess AX-TOYUSB

Axxess AX-TOYUSB

Works! there's the older xB, how fitting for this post!

Installed outside of car. It was upside down first haha whoops.

I hope this helps Ya'll!

Dave, Michigan (it was a cold install)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-27-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up

Excellent DIY!

Becomes a Sticky! Thank you