Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY Moving USB/AUX location

Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY Moving USB/AUX location

Now I am not sure what years will find this more useful than others. I can tell you that it's for 2011+ for sure though.

The USB/AUX hub is in a terrible spot, more so if you are using you're USB in more than one location. This is how to relocate it.

Skill level: 3 out of 10.
Time to do: Less than 1 hour.
COST: $0.00
Tools: 10mm socket, ratchet, extension. Phillips screw driver. Flat head screw driver. Electric tape or Zip Tie, Pliers.

Step 1: Removing the center console. To do this, you need to remove the 4 bolts in the storage area, 2 pins (push the center of them in with a flat head. They are located by the front seat rear mount post) and 1 more 10mm bolt that is located UNDER the cup holders. Use your flat head screwdriver to get between the cup holder/ebrake and main console. Use caution and no excessive force is needed. It's just clipped in. Once you remove that, you'll see the last 10mm bolt. Once all bolts are removed (remember, 5 of them + 2 plastic pins) you should be able to remove the console nice and easy.
!!!Be sure to unplug the Aux/USB connection as you are removing the console!!!

Step 2: Remove shift **** (manual unscrew/automatic however it removes) and then shifter trim bezel. This is done by inserting just the tip (lol) of your flat head to loosen up the clips around the trim. Once it starts to release, be sure to disconnect the emergency flasher wire and security light if so equipped.

Step 3: Remove the remaining trim below the shifter. There are 2 Phillips head screws at the top of the plastics, and then the rest just simply un-clips.

(Once all trim is removed, it should look like this for a manual transmission.)

Step 4: Locate you're USB/AUX wire for rerouting. This is clipped onto the floor with little plastic clips that are taped to the wire. You can either remove the entire clip assembly, or cut the tape (careful not to cut any wires) to remove them.

(Image is with center console removed, and USB/AUX wire disconnected and no mounted)

Step 5. Reroute the wire once you've unclipped it from the body mounts and from under the small spot of carpet. Tape or zip tie some of the excess wire to insure it does not get tangled in with the shift linkage.

Step 6: Remove your blank plug from the shifter bezel. (if you don't have a switch installed there, or a security light) This is just a simple pinch the clips and it pops right out.

Step 7: Remove the USB/AUX hub from the inside of the center console, and swap it into place with the blank. It is a tight fit, but a perfect fit. Take the blank you removed from the bezel, and insert where you removed the USB/Aux Input to fill the hole. Again, a perfect fit.

(Wire rerouted up to shifter area)

(USB/AUX hub relocated too shifter bezel. No cutting or trimming required, simply insert from top, until it clicks into place.)

(image of console USB/AUX original spot plugged with blank from shifter bezel)

Step 8: Re-assemble in reverse order, making sure to plug everything in as you go, and take your time to line it up properly. Doing this will insure you do not damage clips, and everything looks like OEM.

Step 9: Test connections to insure everything is in good working order.

Step 10: Enjoy wings and beer with friends afterwards. (step 10 is optional)

Final product:
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great Job! Would have done it to mine but I already went aftermarket!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stenger - thank you so much for such an awesome, detailed and funny write up. i was considering moving the plug too but didn't know where. that location is perfect and i dont have to empty out my console storage area every time i want to plug in a device or leave a long cable in there all unwound.

again, thanks for all the detail and pics!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 AM
SL Member

I'm not hating on the mod, but I wanted to know the reason you would move it there and not keep it out of the way like where it originally was? :?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well BigDragon for the exact same reason MidTown posted...

See, I only use one cable for home/work/car (I have an iPhone5). So when you are unplugging the cord from your wall, to your car, to another wall, the OEM location is just in the wrong spot. And if you want too use that spot, you have to either take out junk from the console, or store it all in the glove box. And somethings I like having right next to me, opposed to shoved in the glove box for a far reach. (spare lighters, gps, ect ect.)
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 PM
SL Member

Hmmmmm...I think I might do this later this weekend. I have been convinced of the logic for the move...Thanks for the write up
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great job and great photos. I like how you kept a very tight depth of field (foreground focused and background out of focus) and good lighting. A really good post!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

STENGER - thank you again for this DIY!

using your instructions, i took apart my console, made a hole in the bottom of the arm rest cubby and fished my AUX cable through there. now my aux cable comes out of the console between the drivers seat. now i never have to open up the cubby again to get to my AUX cable!

your instructions helped immensely. very clear description and i had the entire console taken apart within 5 minutes.

cheers!
Old 03-06-2016, 02:14 AM

Thanks for all the details. I went in the other direction. I replaced the stock ports with Metra AX-USB-35EXT and connected it to my Pioneer AVH-5600BHS.

I generally only plug my flash drive into that port, so I like it out of the way and I rarely use the AUX cable.