Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Door Lock Actuator Repair (2004 xB)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM

Default Door Lock Actuator Repair (2004 xB)

Video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu1Fa...ature=youtu.be

Text Guide:
2004 Scion xB Door Repair

Symptoms: Your FOB locks and unlocks all the doors except one. The lock probably works manually, but even that may not function.

Repair: Most repair shops will charge you $250-$300 for this repair. With a $10 part and a little ingenuity, you can replace this yourself. I am not a handyman nor do I do my own car repair. This should take you less than an hour. This repair is for the back driver’s door of a 2004 Scion xB, but the concept is similar for any normal car door. If you want me to do it, I get $290/hour plus travel expenses. Kidding. But that is what you save when you DIY.

Tools:
· Phillips screwdriver
· Universal Actuator kit (should come with a bracket and a rod). I bought this one:
Amazon.com: Universal Power Door Lock 2 Wire Actuator Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Universal Power Door Lock 2 Wire Actuator Kit: Car Electronics
· Possibly a couple extra screws or bolts
· Power drill and basic drill bits
· Bolt cutters or a hacksaw for cutting the rods
· Duct tape

Concept: It’s important to understand how simple this system is and how it works because you may encounter slight differences in the structure of your door that affect how you do this repair.

The lock button you use on your door is attached to a rod. The rod is attached to a very simple motor. The motor pushes (unlocks) and pulls (locks). The problem with your door is a worn out motor. They call the motor an actuator.

You are going to put the new actuator in your door – anywhere it will fit and attach to the rod. You are not connecting anything to the old actuator or to the latch. As long as it attaches to the old rod and the two electrical wires it will work.

The most challenging part is placing the new actuator and the new rod in a position that won’t have much friction and will fit in the door. You are also limited by the window in the door. These are not hard challenges if you are aware of them. Some doors have lots of space, but not my Scion.

Process
1. Start with the window down and the door open. The window is down so you don’t attach something in the way of it closing.
2. Using #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove screw in armrest grip and then remove the grip.
3. Using #2 Phillips screwdriver, remove screw from door handle recess.
4. Starting at the lower edge of the door, firmly pull the door panel away from the door. It will pop out. Pop all fasteners out across the bottom, the front edge, and the rear edge of the door.
5. Lift the panel from the door.
6. Disconnect the electrical connector from the window/lock switch. You may have to depress the locking collar for the connector to disengage.
7. Carefully peel the sheet plastic away from the adhesive between it and the metal. Don't tear the plastic! Peel it away to expose the lock, latch, and rods.
8. At this point you may think you should remove the old actuator. Don’t. Don’t remove the door latch either.
9. You are going to attach the new actuator in the gap in the door. It will be a tight fit because of the window, also in the door and in need of motion..
10. Drill two holes in the door that you wil use for bracket attachment.
11. Attach the left side of the bracket (the side near the latch). I did this by screwing the actuator and bracket to the door using one screw.
12. Attach the rod that came with your actuator to the actuator. It just slides in and is held by the elbow and **** at the end. You need to do it now because you won’t have room later.
13. Make sure the new rod is positioned correctly so it can move easily. Make sure the bracket is also positioned correctly on the right side.
14. Now attach the right side of the bracket. I used a small bolt and nut.
15. If you have not screwed the actuator to the bracket in both places, do so now.
16. The next steps sound easy, but you need to keep friction to a minimum and the tightness of the space promotes friction. If the lock is too hard to move, the actuator will not function or will wear rapidly.
17. Attach the new rod to the old one. My kit came with a three-screw unit for doing this, but you can use anything that holds and fits.
18. I found that the new rod and the old rod rubbed, pressuring the actuator motor. I cut off excess rod material.
19. Check the system to make sure it works smoothly. If not, you may need to bend a rod, move the attachment, or reposition a rod.
20. You are about to hook up the power. In making the electrical connection, there was no live current on my Scion unless the FOB was pressed. While I doubt your car has live current (because it would drain your battery) I am not responsible if you electrocute yourself.
21. Cut the old and new wires and splice them together, attaching with wire nuts. Connect the orange-striped to the green-striped wire. I chose to zip-tie them so they would not rattle loose.
22. Check the system with your FOB or from the driver’s door keypad.
23. Reattach the vapor barrier. You may need duct tape.
24. Reattach the door cover by snapping the pins carefully back into place. It helps to start at an easy to see corner and gradually move around. Don’t force them; visually check alignment. It’s a bummer to break the door panel after successfully repairing the lock.
25. Replace the two screws and pat yourself on the back. You are now worth $290 an hour.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

thks for this mod.... it,s been very helpful.