Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help with locating wires for Backup Camera (mirror)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help with locating wires for Backup Camera (mirror)

I'm getting this as a surprise and have a short window to get this done. It said

I will need to connect to "accessory" wire --So a turn key power source: Advice on where to get this?

I will need to locate and Tap into "reverse light wire" : Advice on where to find this?

thanks for all your help guys/girls. I don't have it yet but it is a rear view mirror style backup camera, so it displays the image in the mirror when put in reverse.

2009 xB2 auto
Old 08-13-2017, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reverse light wire: I tried to find this when putting in a wired reversing camera and couldn't find it. Took the gearshift console apart and it wasn't there, so I can only assume that it is in the gearbox somewhere and activated by the shift mechanism.

There is the thought that you could tap into the power wire going to the reverse light, but the wires are so thin, the extra power used by turning on a monitor could overload the wire and melt it etc... So I avoided that.

In my case, I already had a separate fused power wire, going from the battery to the hitch module under the trunk carpet. So I tee'd into that and put a rocker switch down to the left of the steering column. Not an ideal situation, but it was all I could come up with at the time.

The hardest thing was getting the wire thru the firewall. There is a rubber grommet down by the accelerator pedal where a big harness goes thru. In that grommet is a plugged hole to the side of the main hole that you can cut thru and put the wire thru without getting carbon monoxide going into the cabin (suddenly important for some reason)

Link to Photobucket (ad central) for the hitch wiring - it might help
Photobucket
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you for your reply, I'be been thinking this was an empty room.
That at least gives me a bit to go on. I think the load from the reverse light wire is more of a switch, not a current load. So I would assume it would be very light. like a relay kinda think. its getting load from the other lines I would think.

Anyone else have anything on this could use more input
thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

use the wire for your reverse light as a trigger for a relay and use a separate power source
Old 02-23-2023, 10:31 PM
SL Member

Default Looking for XB Gen 1 reverse trigger wire

good to see these old threads still useful. I'm XB gen 1 and trying to rig up the trigger mentioned above. Good idea. Where is this reverse wire I can use to trigger the relays? Thanks in advance for help with this old thread.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:47 PM
SL Member

Howdy souls,

Sorry for the direct approach in my last "Looking for Reverse light wire". I was burning daylight and hoping I might finish that backup camera job today.

Little background, Aside from Giant killn and drifting around cool places in Texas, I love driving my Xb Gen 1. I just turned 100K, so I,m a babe in the woods. Really in the woods of East Texas. In the rolling hills of Palestine.

Now I will research all I can find about this reverse light wire situation. I like the trigger and relay suggestion from Big Jim, so hats off to him. Hopefully I will be a little better informed next time I roll out here. I can assure you it will be a "little" as my neuron will begin to ache directly.