Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Things you dislike about the interior of the XB Gen 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Things you dislike about the interior of the XB Gen 2

I've had mine for a week now and there are a few things that bug me so I thought I'd share and see what others think.

1. Although the shifter/console seems like it's in a good place my knee rests against it almost all the time. The shifter (auto) is right in my line of arm movement and since there's no button it's easy to knock it out of drive. I've bumped it into the manual shift slot at least twice and once bumped it up to reverse while going 70 on the interstate.
2. I miss the oven from the gen 1.
3. I miss the ashtray. I don't smoke. Mine was lined with felt to hold change.
4. The driver's seat armrest is a joke. It's too close, too narrow and too high.
5. There is no padding on the door armrest.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New XB

I know what you mean. I sat in new XB this week and have to say I was a little let down. One thing I did not like was how the dash is higher up on the windshield, less visability.
I am going to trade my XB in the next 12 months - and it looks like my new car will not be an xb.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i test drive one.
my biggest complaint was the lack of visibility out the back window. 3 large head rests in the way and the lack of the back side windows.
i just felt like i couldn't see.

reed the august issue of Car and Drive. yep... they nailed it on the head. page 76 - 82. i couldn't have said it any better myself!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Scion Evolution

hate the cup holder in the back... it wouldn't survive if u put a full water bottle.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow. i was going to trade in my gen 1 xb, but not anymore. i have no regrets with my xb, except for the horsepower thing....
Old 07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 AM
SL Member

gonna check one out at the dealer, hopefully not too many dissapointments!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by superboxcarxb
wow. i was going to trade in my gen 1 xb, but not anymore. i have no regrets with my xb, except for the horsepower thing....
Just to make sure you and everyone understand, I love the new XB. I would take it anyday over my old one even though I miss my old one.

I'm just pointing out a few shortcomings so maybe they'll be fixed in future gens. Maybe someone will find a way to mod what we have now. I'm thinking about several ideas to make a new center console that has an oven and moves the shifter down out of my way. I also think a new armrest that's wider and drops down more could replace what comes in it.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
SL Member

I have one true dislike of the interior. It's one you mentioned, no padding on the door arm rests. The other stuff I mention below are minor inconveniences.

I absolutely love the shifter position. Mines a manual (as all real drivers should get ) and the up-high position is a hoot. I also love how my right knee can rest up against the side of the center console. My old car was a GTI and my right knee fell squarly on a corner of the center console for some nice knee pain on long trips.

The shelf under the back seat is useless, anything that you put there just slides around and makes a lot of noise when you drive.

The cover over the spare tire in the back looks to be about 1/2 a mm thick and seems like a heavy bag of groceries would make it colapse.

When you pull the doors shut by using the handle in the arm rest on the door the plastic interior panel of the door bends and flexes giving a very "cheap" impression.

As far as I can tell the little movie that plays on the upgraded Pioneer radio can only be displayed in white. A choice of different colors would have been nice.

The sunshade is all but useless if the sun is on the side of you. Where are the little plastic pull-out extenders?

There are no hooks for the floor mats. The mats themselves have the holes for the hooks but there are no actual hooks on the floor. Who's the brain that designed this?
UPDATE: I just walked outside and checked. There are actually two little holes in the floor of the car that line up with the hole in the floor mats. Is there some kind of clip or something that I am missing that would attach the mats to the holes in the floor?

I wish the headliner and pillars were black.

Rear leg room is huge! Every person who has sat back there has loved it. (Do I even need to mention head room?)

I would love to have a dedicated change drawer. Where do you guys keep your change? The little pocket to the left of the steering wheel on the dash is my sunglasses drawer so thats not an option. No change and sunglass don't go in the same spot in my car yes, I am picky about that.

So there it is, none of these stupid little things would prevent me from actually liking the vehicle.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The major flaw in the new xb is that I am over 6 feet tall and my knee hits the console. It is longer than the orig. xb and would be uncomfortable on a long trip.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pufbox
There are no hooks for the floor mats. The mats themselves have the holes for the hooks but there are no actual hooks on the floor. Who's the brain that designed this?
UPDATE: I just walked outside and checked. There are actually two little holes in the floor of the car that line up with the hole in the floor mats. Is there some kind of clip or something that I am missing that would attach the mats to the holes in the floor?
Yes, the DS front mat is supposed to have clips holding it to the carpet.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 AM

I love mt xB, but I hate eating my knees!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Besides the intirior,what about the only one back up light on the left side.how stupid can that be?,and the seleccion of colors forget it.they need to come with better colors.like my 04 hot lava.i was thinking to trade my hot lava but no way Jose.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a short guy, so everything works for me as far as size.

The things I hate about the interior-

-Lack of storage in front, ton's of wasted space. It would have been great to have added some Cubby's under the shifter.
-Horrible Center console cupholders
-Tiny center console.
-When auto shifter is in drive, I always hit it when I lift a 32oz+ soda out of the cupholder.
-No good place for my iPod nano.
-No lumbar.

Thats about it. I still live my box. As far as the armrest, I have no problems with it. I plan to replace it eventually. I usually drive with my right hand on the shifter (force of habit after driving manual for 4 years) and my left hand on the steering wheel. My left arm never touches the door.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pufbox
As far as I can tell the little movie that plays on the upgraded Pioneer radio can only be displayed in white. A choice of different colors would have been nice.
There might be alternatives here:
http://pioneer.jp/car/oel_screensaver_studio/
Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by shuedawg
The major flaw in the new xb is that I am over 6 feet tall and my knee hits the console. It is longer than the orig. xb and would be uncomfortable on a long trip.
I thought that would be an issue for me and the console is no more in the way of my leg than the shifter was in the 1st gen. I am by no means a skinny guy either and I fit in it just fine.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

my nitpicks with the interior of my xB2

1- the top of the dash plastic and the top of both front door plastic DON'T MATCH
the dash piece has a nice matte finish to it, while the door pieces have a cheap 'shiny plastic' look

2- the quality of plastics in the interior are a joke. combine the VERY shiny pieces, with the horrible graining of them, and the thinness of them -- all give an overall cheap appearance and feel to the entire car. there are cheaper korean cars out there that have better plastics (granted, probably not put together as well as the scion)

3- and as mentioned before, no door armrest padding and lack of storage/wasted space

i don't have any illusions of the xB2 being more than what it is -- but why is it that the tC which is at a very similar price point has so much more?
a. padded center armrest, and door armrests
b. much better plastics
c. auto up AND down window switch
d. better seat fabric
e. faux leather steering wheel cover
f. reclining rear seats

i like my xB2, just that at times i feel 'short-changed' by toyota -- but, only for the interior. i have no complaints about the rest of the xB2
Old 07-07-2007, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only pet peive with the new X2 is the cheapness of the door lever. It comes out of nowhere, and just looks cheap and feels worse. Sorry thats something i notice about all cars is the design of that into the theme and the feel you get when you pull it and the door opens.

Other than that, yall pretty much got a tC with a Box body
Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with the "wasted space" in the dash area...too much plastic...also the cupholder closer to the center storage (is that even a cupholder )

...but like every else said...i still love it!

JC
Old 07-08-2007, 12:10 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by avus
1- the top of the dash plastic and the top of both front door plastic DON'T MATCH
the dash piece has a nice matte finish to it, while the door pieces have a cheap 'shiny plastic' look

I never noticed this until you pointed it out. Now I see it every time I get in.. hehe You're absolutely right, they should have both been the same style.

Quick Reply: Things you dislike about the interior of the XB Gen 2