Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Item stuck in front defrost vent.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 05:25 AM

Default Item stuck in front defrost vent.

Hey, so long story short, my dumbass friend put a marble in my defrost vents in the front under the windshield, and I am pretty sure it dropped as far down as it can go. Basically , it just so happens now that my **** for defrost or whatever doesn't turn past the feet vents and won't move past that to the defrost. It most likely has something to do with that, and I want to get it fixed but don't know what to do. Any suggestions?Also forgot to mention my car is a 2011 Scion xB
Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 PM
SL Member

The marble is probably stuck in one of the blend doors. The **** on your dash likely has a cable attached to it that runs back into an air box. When you turn the ****, the cable opens and / or closes different blend doors inside the box to direct air to different places. There is probably a flap to open / close defrost air, one to open / close outside air vs. recirc, a flap to allow air to the floor, etc.

I haven't torn into the xB's system specifically, but that is how most cars are set up. Plastic doors inside a box or in ducts near the main box that open or close to allow air through or prevent air from passing through. The doors are controlled by your temp and distribution ***** on the dash.

You'll likely have to remove a bunch of plastic dash parts and follow that control cable from the air mix **** to where it goes. That should lead you to where the problem is, in other words you should be able to narrow down where the sticking point is.

Probably not a particularly hard job, but one that is relatively tedious or time consuming. Just take your time and be careful when removing plastic fasteners not to break them. If you take small screws out, stick them to a piece of masking tape and write down on the tape where they go if you think you will forget.

You can remove the blower fan pretty easily. It is easy enough that I might try that first, and see if I could reach in there and feel the marble or see it. Take the glove box out, you squeeze the sides together to move the prongs in and it will drop down to the floor. You can then see the blower fan.

There are some files you may find helpful here:

Index of /pdfs

# 8 is a blend door that moves based on input from #7, which is likely attached to your **** on the dash. #5 is your cabin air filter.

Last edited by syncro87; 09-07-2018 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-07-2018, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can't get at it from the bottom here is a link on taking the upper dash out. Half the vents come out with it and leaves you with reasonable access into the rest of them.

https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-...h-removal.html