Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need some AMP Help please?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Need some AMP Help please?

Ok I just got a MA Auido m289i amp from a friend and installed it today with a 4ohm DVC MA Auido sub. I have all the power done and the Amp turn on spliced in behind the radio to the grey accessory which I found on the boards here. Is this the right wire to splice in to? It is a stock HU.

My Problem is when I turn on the key to accessory or on the AMP works. But when I go and start the XB, I lose all sound from the radio. I still have power to the amp, but no sound out of the sub or the door speakers. Now if I disconnect the blue amp turn on lead and reconnect it everything works.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Todd
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Accessory wires drop out during crank. It's the nature of the beast. Turning the starter takes alot of juice so the accessory wire on ALL cars will drop to zero volts when you crank. It should come right back though when you are done cranking the starter.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 AM

Yes the voltage does come back to the turn on lead all the way back to the amp and the amp turns on but I get no sound from any speakers or the sub. If I disconnect the turn on lead and then plug it back in then I get sound?
For some reason I am loosing the sound once I start the XB,still have the accessory power and amp is on, just no sound out of the doors or sub.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you purchase the amp used? It sounds like the amp is having problems with the temporary drop in voltage. An accessory wire dropping during crank is no different than turning your head unit off and then back on which a properly operating amp would have no problem with.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try connecting the remote wire for the amp to the cigarette lighter, it is still connected to the igintion and the amp will still turn off with the key out. I had the same problem and when I tapped into the cigarette lighter it fixed the problem.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM

Hooked it to the Cig Lighter and still doing the same thing!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's because the cigarette lighter will also drop out during crank. I installed my amp last night and I tapped into a gray wire on the far left plug (assuming you have the premium head unit). It operates as an ignition therefore it will not drop out during crank. Everything is working great using that wire for my amp turn on lead.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 AM

No it is the bone stock HU. I will look for another gray wire that works like you say. I have a fix for now and is kind of nice when the wife is riding along I can turn the amp off. I have a switch in the turn on lead and can turn off the amp when needed.