Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

WEAK DIM light on the stock Pioneer display?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM
SL Member

Default WEAK DIM light on the stock Pioneer display?

Does anyone think the amber backlighting on the stock Pioneer stereo's display is too WEAK, too DIM?

Last night I made my first nighttime cross country trip. When I adjusted the top cluster's light intensity to a comfortable level (one step above OFF), the stereo's LCD display was unreadable. With dash lighting increased to make stereo display readable, the cluster lighting is too bright. There seems to be quite a difference in the brightness of the gauges versus the Pioneer's LCD display.

Whut gives? Is my Pioneer missing a lightbulb somewhere? My first 5000 mile service is coming soon, but I don't know what thay can do?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A quick fix would be to cut a piece of window tint & temporarily place it over your gauges & dial UP the illumination so's you can see your Pioneer..
OR... dial down your illum. & just use your steering wheel controls to VOL & track & pre-ets.. When I had my stock Pioneer in I hardly ever touched it.. Always used the SWC..
Sorry if this dont answer your question, but I offer you a few 'work-arounds'... good luck.. jh
Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM
SL Member

The problem of dim lighting on my base Pioneer is SOLVED!
-I found a sweet Pioneer Premium head unit on eBay ($120 + $15 shipping). The seller even included the instruction manual and iPod cable. Then I paid dealer $50 to install (I have NO idea how to safely remove the plastic surround panel, as my gentle prying and pulling were ineffective).
Night time testing proved that the OEL display is readable even at dash lighting's lowest setting.
The OEL skins are FUN. BAD part is the Pioneer software for creation of new skins is not compatible with my Mac OS.