Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer touch screen + iPhone5 plugged into USB = crap sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 AM

Default Pioneer touch screen + iPhone5 plugged into USB = crap sound?

I just got a brand new 2013 xB which I love. But when I use my iPhone cable in the USB port in the center console to listen to music on my phone, it cuts in and out sometimes. Almost seems to be skipping a bit, hard to describe. I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. Sounds perfect on any other device I use. Is this a common problem? I didn't know what to search for, sorry guys. Thanks in advance for any help. I figured the sound quality would be better through the USB port because it's digital unlike an AUX port which would be analog right?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the OEM stereo i didnt notice a huge a difference between the bluetooh audio and thru the USB. Plus wireless was obviously more convenient
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM

The first things that come to mind,

1) Are you streaming music from the web, or just playing from your iPhone? Obvious question but needs to be asked. (And if you're using iTunes Match, that's streaming too.)
2) Are all of your connections secure? I know on my iPhone which is a few years old I have to really push to make the 30-pin connector stick because the phone connector is a little messed up. If it isn't secure it might keep popping on and off (although then you'd hear the iOS charging ding every time the music came back on, so maybe not).

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

And yes, the USB port is the way to go, I've found the Aux jack (at least on my 2010 with the Alpine stereo) is really quiet compared to the USB.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Just music I put on my phone. And the iPhone 5 lightning jack is the original that came with the phone so I know it's not that. I'm thinking there's a loose connection or pinched wire somewhere between the head unit and the USB jack if its not a common issue.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM

I have an iPod Nano with the Lightning connector and haven't had any issues with it, so you're right, it's probably an issue between the USB jack and the head unit.

Just to be safe, do you have another Lightning cable you can try? It's always better to rule out the easy stuff before taking your car apart.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM

Yeah I'm going to try that first. Thanks for trying to help!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wanted to chime in with my experience. I have never used that usb port in the center console for audio. I experimented with bluetooth but it sucked. so far, the best audio quality i got was with a gold-plated aux cable. i guess the gold plating doesnt help that much as some people say but i've had no complaints.

all these systems are finnicky and i personally just stick to good ol' fashioned AUX & control the music through my phone or ipod.

for what it's worth.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 4s and USB and Bluetooth work excellent. No issues, not experienced with 5. I'm gonna buy 5s or 6 when it comes out so hope it's not an issue.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM

Well I tried using Bluetooth instead and it works flawlessly. I've just been using that now.