Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/)
-   -   Sub/Amp/Headunit companies to go with (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/sub-amp-headunit-companies-go-189897/)

AcidBurnISU 07-12-2010 06:23 PM

Sub/Amp/Headunit companies to go with

This might be highly opinion based, however I would like to know what some good brands are to go with.

The last time I bought subs was about 10 years ago, and I had some Orions at the time. I remember Kicked and JL Audio being among the top for subs. However, I have no idea what good companies for subs, amps, and headunits are anymore.

Ideally I would like 2 10'' or 2 12'', something that I can put in the trunk but still have room for groceries, if possible.

Any advice?

:icon_dj:

oreoremix42 07-12-2010 06:26 PM

If you want room go with a shallow well sub setup. Its what I have and its sunken into the floor where the spare is. Leaves the whole floor for stuff in the trunk. Or since its a shallow you need no room to mount it and could even put it in the side cubby holes. I have 2 pioneer 12s powered by a alpine v-power class d amp. The system pounds hard. I know its not much but I hit 126db with only 500 watt rms class d amp. I also love my headunit which is pioneer avh-p4000. Love my whole setup, only thing I am regretting is not getting the door speakers upgraded yet

tcrs2424 07-12-2010 09:20 PM

I have a soundstream VIR 4344 head unit and it is quite possibly the best bang for the buck when it comes to a head unit. I've had it for a year and have been pretty happy with it.

In terms of head units, stay away from Kenwood. I've had nothing but problems from them. Not sure about their amps or subs. Last time I checked they still make decent amps.

JL and Kicker are both great companies to go with when it comes to subs. Sony's used to suck but not sure if they got better.

Hope that helps!

Rockztar 07-12-2010 10:13 PM

for amps and subs i would go with rockford fosgate and/or JL they make some quality stuff

RC-PILOT 07-13-2010 12:29 AM

I have the stock Pioneer HU which is just ok. I upgraded the doors to Infinity Kappa 90wRMS fronts and 75wRMS rears with the Infinity Kappa 4ch 75w/ch RMS amp pushing them. The sub is a 12" JL Stealthbox with a 500w RMS Kenwood pushing it. It is by far the loudest and most crystal clear system I have ever owned. I'm sure others have more base or more db's, but no one can out perform the clarity of the system at volume. It is really awesome.

DREWxB08 07-13-2010 01:17 AM

I have Alpine Type-R components Front and rear, Alpine 600W 4ch AMP along with two different sub box's. First-Alpine Type-X in a sub zone box and sec-JL Audio W7 13.5 in H.O box. With a 1,000W mono block 1-ch AMP (for now) super clear and sounds perfect! Head unit is a AVIC-F900BT (def wanna change it) not what i thought it was gonna be!

DREWxB08 07-13-2010 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT (Post 3625017)
I have the stock Pioneer HU which is just ok. I upgraded the doors to Infinity Kappa 90wRMS fronts and 75wRMS rears with the Infinity Kappa 4ch 75w/ch RMS amp pushing them. The sub is a 12" JL Stealthbox with a 500w RMS Kenwood pushing it. It is by far the loudest and most crystal clear system I have ever owned. I'm sure others have more base or more db's, but no one can out perform the clarity of the system at volume. It is really awesome.

RC you have a great set-up! Props to you sir!

randomsuper 07-13-2010 01:30 AM

pioneer d3
clarion eqs746
mb quart dsc4125 and dsc2000 (awesome budget amps. smoke the rockford amps i had)
cdt components front and rear (running active)
4 10" RE Audio SE subs in 4 cubes sealed (i need to rebuild and go ported. sealed sounds awesome but i know i'll be way louder ported.)
knuconceptz wiring and rca's, pac gain knobs, 150 sq ft of sound deadener, 3 kinetik batteries, and i think that's it.

DREWxB08 07-13-2010 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by randomsuper (Post 3625099)
pioneer d3
clarion eqs746
mb quart dsc4125 and dsc2000 (awesome budget amps. smoke the rockford amps i had)
cdt components front and rear (running active)
4 10" RE Audio SE subs in 4 cubes sealed (i need to rebuild and go ported. sealed sounds awesome but i know i'll be way louder ported.)
knuconceptz wiring and rca's, pac gain knobs, 150 sq ft of sound deadener, 3 kinetik batteries, and i think that's it.

Very nice!!!! i love RE! My next sub is gonna be the RE Triple XXX

randomsuper 07-13-2010 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by DREWxB08 (Post 3625167)
Very nice!!!! i love RE! My next sub is gonna be the RE Triple XXX

look for the older models. the newer ones don't impress as much as the older ones. amazing subs either way though. monstrous on the lows. i heard one for the first time a few months ago and was shocked at how good it sounded.

AcidBurnISU 07-13-2010 04:25 PM

Is there a good way to secure them? I remember, and granted this was 10 years ago, my buddy rigged up his box so that it had sharpened screws on the back, so if someone tried to steal it it would slice them up pretty good.

That is not what I am looking for, but is there a way to secure it in the car so it can't be stolen, or a way that I set it up so that I can unplug the subs/amp and take them inside either at night, or when we go on vacations?

As it stands right now, I am considering getting 2 12'' JL Audio subs, and possibly an eclipse headunit.

buickid 07-13-2010 08:59 PM

Screw the box to the floor, and hide the amp under a seat or somewhere, bolt that to the floor too. Make sure you have a good alarm done by a reputable installer with a glass break and shock sensor at the least. 2-way 1-mile pagers add peace of mind...

Mdiesel64 07-14-2010 06:43 AM

I'm running a VIBE audio black air 12" subwoofer in a single port box, and a TREO engineering rsx4400. Stock HU, amazing sound. have to keep the bass at -3 sometimes. Clear as day too.. but dynamat is a must!

mrmondaynight 07-20-2010 02:32 PM

Blah blah @ jl audio

what's your budget?

for subs look into

Sound solutions audio
fi car audio
re
digital designs
image dynamics
diamond
arc audio
dc audio
sundown

xseveredveganx 07-21-2010 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by mrmondaynight (Post 3632019)
Blah blah @ jl audio

what's your budget?

for subs look into

Sound solutions audio
fi car audio
re
digital designs
image dynamics
diamond
arc audio
dc audio
sundown

WIN! brands are in red. Not so WIN! in greenish.
I'm currently running a single DD 9515G with a Sundown SAZ-3000D. Love it.

mrmondaynight 07-21-2010 01:35 AM

what's wrong with ssa?

xseveredveganx 07-21-2010 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by mrmondaynight (Post 3632722)
what's wrong with ssa?

None of their line up would withstand the might of my SAZ-3000D.

I'm running a single 9515G with no problems. At .75ohms... :lalala:

However, I do believe their XCON driver is pretty alright. But wouldn't take that much power. A pair, yes. :biggrin:

They're good products.

To the OP, what's your budget? Budget is a VERY large determining factor.

mrmondaynight 07-21-2010 04:52 AM

same can go for diamond and id too

I used 2 xcons in my last setup

best subs i've ever owned.