Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/)
-   -   In your face sound upgrade (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-ice-interior-1794/your-face-sound-upgrade-199570/)

Greg S 02-19-2011 05:04 AM

In your face sound upgrade

3 Attachment(s)
I finally got the last of my speakers installed and hooked up today.

Four 2" driver on each a-pilar.

Left

Attachment 65245

Right

Attachment 65246

And through the windshield.

Attachment 65247

Big_Jim 02-19-2011 05:17 AM

I love it. 3 would have looked so much cleaner though. were 4 done for proper ohm load?

KaneoheKoa 02-19-2011 06:34 AM

HE'S KIDNAPPED TOM SERVO!!! That or he's got a major sweet tooth. Sweet install. I agree with Big Jim that 3 drivers would have looked better, but would have presented a strange impedance load. Considered moving the tweeter to the driver panel? Come to think of it, the glass job reminds me of an Imperial Storm Trooper's armor...

May the Schwartz be with you.

Greg S 02-19-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa (Post 3782596)
Sweet install. I agree with Big Jim that 3 drivers would have looked better, but would have presented a strange impedance load. Considered moving the tweeter to the driver panel? May the Schwartz be with you.

I actually started with 3 but like you guys thought it was a weird resistance, these are 8 ohm drivers so with four I get a nice even 8 ohm load. I'm going to shave and paint the tweeter pod, it's empty now, these drivers are running from 300 Hz. and up. I just had to give them a slight boost at around 10 kHz. and it gives a great top end roll off.

Spaceballs FTW!!!

mmmpshh 02-19-2011 01:27 PM

thats bad ___

Murphys_Law 02-19-2011 04:19 PM

what kinda power are you running to them, im sure they scream

xseveredveganx 02-19-2011 11:46 PM

I've been wanting to build up my a-pillars, too. This gives me inspiration!

Greg S 02-20-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law (Post 3782762)
what kinda power are you running to them, im sure they scream

Only have 37.5 watts per channel since they are at 8 ohms. The driver's are actually pretty ineffecient so the sound isn't bright at all.

oreoremix42 02-20-2011 04:13 AM

I bet your have a hell of a blindspot now haha. Looks good, good job

KaneoheKoa 02-20-2011 07:04 AM

I'm thinking of making a set of home theater speakers for a friend and those 2" would be great for a D'Appolito arrangement. Where did you get your drivers from?

Greg S 02-21-2011 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by KaneoheKoa (Post 3783211)
I'm thinking of making a set of home theater speakers for a friend and those 2" would be great for a D'Appolito arrangement. Where did you get your drivers from?

Madisound

https://www.madisound.com/store/inde...&filter_id=283

Murphys_Law 02-21-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Greg S (Post 3783130)
Only have 37.5 watts per channel since they are at 8 ohms. The driver's are actually pretty ineffecient so the sound isn't bright at all.

thats a let down, A+ on the install though

KaneoheKoa 02-21-2011 09:47 PM

After taking it off my shelf and dusting it off (as I haven't needed to use it in a while), my brain remembered my parallel resistance formula! For those wanting to go with 3 drivers, putting them in a series/parallel arrangement will give you a 5.3 ohm load. You would have one driver running in parallel with 2 drivers running in series. If using a premade passive crossover (coils, caps, resistors) this would present an odd load and change your crossover points. You'd need to design a custom xover from scratch, which is not that hard to do. If using an electronic crossover in an amp, there would be no problem.

Who woulda thunk it: I tho't only I bought drivers from Madisound!

Greg S 02-22-2011 05:09 AM

I thought about trying the three at 5.3 but then you end up with a different load on one of the speakers than the other two, with the four @ 8 they all get an even load. Turns out that even at the 8 ohm load I'm going to have to up the gain on my mid-bass to get the same volume levels. Worked out better.

I order from both Madisound and Parts Express

mrmondaynight 02-22-2011 04:10 PM

Hmm...Looks interesting..but why?

You could've used a horn and got much more spl, imaged better, and not lose any dash real estate

Greg S 02-23-2011 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrmondaynight (Post 3784574)
Hmm...Looks interesting..but why?

You could've used a horn and got much more spl, imaged better, and not lose any dash real estate

Main reason, because I can.:lol:

Why didn't I do horns? Would take up too much space, I'm not a small guy and can't afford to loose any more space around my legs. I've run horns before, actually the first ID horns that were built for retail sale.

As for imaging, my imaging is very good, frequency responce is smoother than horns, although I have the EQ capability to handle that.

I don't need any more SPL, it gets quite loud enough right now. I've been down the SPL road many times, I used to judge dBDrags. It's not for me any more. As long as it gets loud enough that's all I need.

I didn't loose any functional dash space the pods are low enough to that they do not interfere with visiblity at all.