Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2008 Scion xB Oil Consumption Test..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2008 Scion xB Oil Consumption Test..

Took in my 2008 oil consumption test. Burned about half a quart over the course of 1,250 miles. I know this is within spec but the car only has 31,000 miles on it. I run the cheapest oil from Penzoil right now as well.
Firstly does anyone have any recommendations on if that is normal or not?

Also I want to know if I should switch to full synthetic or if its too late for me. I read that it could cause leakage due to it being thinner than the cheaper Penzoil I use now. Using 5w-20.

Thanks everyone.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2020 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 03-05-2016, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At your mileage switching to full synthetic won't be an issue. It's more of an issue as you get up into the higher mileages. Unfortunately nothing is going to really help stop the wear on the piston rings, it's actually the design that is the problem. You'll notice as your mileage goes up that you will be burning more and more oil. Wait until you get closer to 60-80,000 miles and are burning more oil to do the second test and you can get the pistons and rings replaced at that point.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the dealer said I was only covered for the first 10 years after purchase or 150,000 miles whichever comes first. Since the car was purchased 11/2017 I am going to lose coverage way before hitting 80k miles. Either that or the deal was misleading.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I forgot about the time limit for it. You really don't put many miles on it, I'm just about to turn 143,000 on my 08. Best bet then would be to wait until just before the time limit and test it again.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And to be honest, I would live with the oil burning...there is no way I want a dealership parts swapping monkey rebuilding my engine....most dealership employees are not talented enough to do a complete engine rebuild, which is what the burning oil warranty entails, a basic engine rebuild.....I'll take oil burning any day of the week over a dealership rebuilt motor...
Old 04-21-2016, 05:33 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by pdxgen2
And to be honest, I would live with the oil burning...there is no way I want a dealership parts swapping monkey rebuilding my engine....most dealership employees are not talented enough to do a complete engine rebuild, which is what the burning oil warranty entails, a basic engine rebuild.....I'll take oil burning any day of the week over a dealership rebuilt motor...
Yup, just use a heavier weight oil and keep moving. The possibility of something not being put back together correctly is high.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Yup, just use a heavier weight oil and keep moving. The possibility of something not being put back together correctly is high.
My 2014 xB is fortunately not burning any oil at this time, but i am going to be giving it its first oil change soon and I will be putting 5W-30 in it (full synthetic or course)....I generally shy away from really thin oils, knowing that most manufacturers are using them to help their vehicles meet MPG requirements, so yeah, I dont trust a 0W-20 oil...

The only way I would take Toyota up on the oil consumption warranty gig is if they were offering long block motors from Japan to fix the issue, which is what they should have done, both to save their reputation and to save dealerships having to spend 8 + hours rebuilding a motor that most of their mechanics don't know how to do....
Old 04-28-2016, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pdxgen2, DO NOT EVER GET YOUR PISTONS CHANGED!!!!! EVER! I have a 2011 Scion xB. I got the letter from Scion telling me they are aware of an oil burning issue and to do a test. If my car fails, I can get new parts. Well, I thought it was nice that Scion was willing to "FIX" this issue. HA! WRONG! My engine was torn apart and put back together and it's been using about TWICE THE AMOUNT OF FUEL!!!! I wish I had never let them touch my car. I hate it. I had a "Special Technician" take it for a drive with his computer hooked up to it and blah, blah, blah. Before I had him look at it, I was asked to run gas tank down and refill it three times. 16 mpg first tank, 15mpg second tank, 13 mpg third tank! My driving habits hadn't changed, I still drove the same way. After this guy took it out and did his analysis, he said he got 29 mpg. I'm sick man. My stomach hurts because I just filled it up again and I only got 17mpg in the city and a little highway driving.

Whatever this guys says, Scion Customer Service will believe, but I know how much more money I'm paying in gas and that's enough proof for me. I feel so shafted by them. Like it's MY problem now and they are done with me. I used to LOVE my car. I still love it but she sure is thirsty after they "fixed" it. I don't know what to do. I'm just going to keep track of the gas mileage I get with each tank and call them again with a poor report. I'm also going to go the EXACT route the technician went and see what mileage I get. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of owning another Scion. They've ruined it for me.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 AM

OH MY OH MY! Here I am on the verge of solving this problem, son works for Toyota 30 years sales-Finance CA, I need a person from JAPAN to help me, not Toyota it seems. CRAP! Fat change! HELP HELP HELP!
I don't have thousands of dollars. My car xB 2010 87, 000 miles every 1400 miles quart and a half, now I am taped up with oil consumption, want me in at 500 miles, and I know I will run out way before that! AOWEEE!

I had a friend purchase a xB the same time I did, my first xB in 2008 a 2009, she went through the oil consumption test, failed, they rebuilt and still is putting in oil, mine passed 2009, never a problem, lost it in an accident, 2019.
Toyota needs a repair shop filled with Japanese technicians! Fat chance!

Starwoman

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2020 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Merge Posts and Correct typos