Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

A/C issues

Old 07-16-2018, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A/C issues

I've got a 2015 and a 2008 and the 2008 A/C has always worked better than the 2015. It costs $150 for the dealership to fill the refrigerant, but I can get an A/C manifold set at HF for around $50 or so, so I am thinking I can check and fill it myself. There seems to be a bunch of online docs on how to do this. Is there a certain pressure amount you need to fill to? Is that a number that is different for each vehicle?

The big problem is that sometimes it takes a long time to cool down, I can drive a couple of miles sometimes and even though the air is on, you can't feel a hint of cold in the hot air it is blowing at you. Sometimes that happens, or sometimes it cools much sooner. It is almost like the air is on, but it isn't running the compressor, but that is probably unlikely I am guessing. Is this a sign of low refrigerant?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 2008 started with the delayed cooling this summer. It surprises me what you can't find on the internet. Even across different car manufacturers.
I did come across a possible sticky valve issue from an Audi forum. But it still only came down to checking the high and low pressure. Then replacing the cheapest components first. The compressor is likely not the issue being pressures were normal.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the cost of that manifold from Harbor Freight it wouldn't be much more to have an independent shop check the AC for you and that would include the cost of refrigerant. I'd check with a couple shops on what it would cost before going out and buying the manifold. Especially since if they need to put refrigerant in you have to suck the system dry first and then fill it and they will have the proper machines to do this.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys; I'm still planning on trying to do it myself route. I've got a few more questions - I appreciate the help!

#1 - I didn't see a tag for 134a under the hood, is this the correct type for 2015 xB?

#2 - What are the correct pressures? under what conditions, idle, 2K rpm, etc.?

Thank you!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

#3 - does it have a sight glass? I don't see it.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is an odd situation, because it really does seem like it is turned off and then all of a sudden it turns on. Scenario is that I start it, AC on max, blowing hot air. 1.5 miles down the road, still blowing hot air, not a bit colder. Then all of a sudden, it begins to cool. I turned it on in the driveway, and the fans work under the hood. I guess where I am going with this is that it doesn't work poorly for that first mile, it doesn't seem like it is turned on at all. Then it acts as if someone pushed the A/C button on all at once and begins to cool. What switches or other sensors are part of the system? What other faults could cause this behavior?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More info today. I started it in the driveway, ambient is maybe 8 degrees cooler than the other day (90 deg F vs 98 deg F). I popped the hood to check the two fans and both were running. It started blowing cool air almost immediately, and before I left my neighboorhood is was very cool to cold. Down the road to the spot it was the other day, it felt icy cold. The other day, it acted completely different...
Old 08-02-2018, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You can pick up a gauge set for $30 on amazon, just make sure you pick up a can tap so you can refill too.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

as far as pressures go, heres a chart from autozone.