Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Think the new XB will have windshield cracking problem?

Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default Think the new XB will have windshield cracking problem?

Do you think all problems from xb1 were addressed for the new xb? I'm nervous about the windshield cracking, that would be a huge turn off for me.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never had a crack in my windshield but I do have tiny chips all over my windshield.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since 1985 I have had 5 Maxima's, 1 Hondo Accord Coupe, 1 Solara and my 05 xB. All bought new. I do NOT do a lot of highway driving. I do NOT tailgate. All of these Japanese cars have been very reliable. But, they have all had what I consider to be excessive tiny chips, ie sand blasted. I owned the Solara the longest and the windshield became so pitted that I paid to have it replaced. I do not recall having such a problem with European or US cars.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

US cars are no better that I can tell. Glass used to be better I think (my glass man thinks so also, says he thinks it is softer than it was), either that or our roads are alot dirtier. Maybe a combination of both, but , it seems to me that windshields these days with 40K miles on them look like 80K windshields used to look:/
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB2 windshield should be slightly less subject to damage from road debris than the windshield of the xB Classic.

The xB2 windshield is raked at a much greater slope than the more vertical xB Classic windshield, and it is also behind a longer hood that will help shield it from debris.

Freeways used to be vast smooth expanses of pavement with cars well spaced out along them (yes, it really WAS like that, I drove those freeways). These days, most freeways are clogged with vehicles, nearly bumper-to-bumper, the road surfaces are rough, crumbling, and covered with patches and repairs, miles and miles of road construction is coating the freeways with even more debris, and the freeways are cleaned less often than city streets.

When I got rid of my '55 Chevy in '66, I think it still had the original windshield. Streets, roads, even alleys were cleaner and less crowded then. These days, at least in the US, the condition and cleanliness of roadways is abysmal.

Tom
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have window tint on my previa's windshield will that help?

I hope so, if it cracks it's 285 on the cheap side

Anybody tint the old b?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your tint's on the inside of the windshield - it makes the glass more difficult for something to penetrate, but does absolutely nothing to protect the outer layer of glass which is usually all that stars or cracks.

If your tint were on the outside, it would be destroyed in short order by the wipers, or even simply from cleaning it.

You must remember that windshields are three layer sandwiches: thin layer of glass, thin layer of plastic film, thin layer of glass. Adding tint on the inside just adds another layer of plastic, but it is exposed and easy to scratch and scar. It also doesn't do anything for the outer layer of glass - it is still exposed, and three layers away from the tint.

Tom