Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2009 Scion xB lost power and lights ect

Old 12-06-2017, 01:29 AM

Default 2009 Scion xB lost power and lights ect

I was hoping somebody might be able to help out. My xB will randomly turn off while driving power motor lights everything. Seems to happen when I make left hand hard turns. intermittently.
And once I turn wheel straight car will start it will turn on again seems like a short but I have no idea where to start hoping somebody can give me some insight.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-19-2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Start with the easy stuff, check you main power and ground lines from the battery to the engine and chassis, also check the main ground for the engine to the chassis.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Start with the easy stuff, check you main power and ground lines from the battery to the engine and chassis, also check the main ground for the engine to the chassis.
Thought the same thing. Some type of ground issue.

Be interested in knowing where the OP lives. If he's in the cold weather areas, a grounding issue would be even more possible (road salts!)
Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM

I live in PHX AZ. thanks for the advice!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:08 AM

Had the battery ground wire changed and hoping that corrected the problem and by the way I'm a her! ��
Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey me too...
I like the other comments and would check out the battery terminals. As the batteries start to die, they leak acid gas out around the posts and corrode the terminals, which can give you intermittent power -
Especially when turning a corner and the battery or wires move slightly. You know how fast batteries die in PHX.

After many years of Autozone batteries, I am finally changing to the Walmart Everstart Maxx ones recommended by Consumer Reports, to see if they work better. The Autozone ones leak a lot of acid around the posts.

Bring on low cost LiFePO4 batteries, lets end the acid (and weight) problem

Fortunately we don't have to deal with road salt unless you are heading up to Flag in ski season.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-10-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2017, 01:10 PM

I tried to reply earlier but it didn't post. I check all grounds and cables around the Battery. It was after all the loose ground wire from the battery to th chassis . Thanks all for the advice. It helped tons...

Search this Thread