Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   2013 Scion xB Innards (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/2013-scion-xb-innards-237191/)

Allen1234 04-30-2019 09:19 PM

2013 Scion xB Innards

So I recently bought a 2013 Scion xB auto with 52000 Kms....I am really happy with it so far.....could use another gear but I can live with that. I understand Scion is a child of Toyota. But what exactly is it for example 2.4 engine and auto trans. RAV4 based? Starter/Alternator? Brakes and rotors? or Camry?
If I go to a parts store can I ask for Rotors/brake pads/etc.. for a Toyota ? What about struts? Are the parts interchangeable? Just kind of curious....What they are made up of....I like to do some of my own wrenching minor stuff.... Appreciate any info you can share.

BigAL

_____

Greg S 05-01-2019 07:10 PM

You buy parts for a 2013 Scion xB. It's new enough that even though the line is discontinued there are still lots of parts out there for them.

There are some parts that are interchangeable but lots that are not.

Engine wise it is a Toyota 2AZ-FE engine, which was used in a lot of various Toyota vehicles from 06-15 but things external to the block change depending on the car. Valve cover is different on lots of them, the xB doesn't have a power steering pump as we have electric steering. Also not all years of the 2AZ-FE are interchangeable as there have been updates done, primarily between the 06-07 and 09-10 model years.

Brakes: The front brakes are changeable with the 11-15 Scion tC but you have to change the rotor and caliper as the tC has larger ones. The rear brakes don't seem to able to be changed with anything else.

Suspension: Front strut are not interchangeable with anything. Rear shocks are the same unless you are looking to lower the car significantly, then you can use the 02 Sienna shocks to get it a bit lower but you have to shim out the lower mount so that it fits properly. The front lower ball joints are the same ones used on the 11-15 tC, Prius V, and the Scion iM/Toyota iM. Not worth noting though as all the various models are listed under the same part number from the manufacturers.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head right now. What it really boils down to is unless you are looking to modify the car then just get parts that are listed for it. There is little to no price difference between the various parts that are shared.

PS, you can also swap the wiper stalk with one from a 2nd gen Prius or Toyota Matrix if you want to upgrade to having intermittent wiper function for the front wipers. It's a three screw swap.

Allen1234 05-01-2019 08:54 PM

Good Stuff...Thanks for the Info....I think it is a great little car....Easy to get in and out... Good for seniors like me...LOL

Big AL