Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2013 Scion xB & Release Series info. Lots of pics of my White 2013 "build" on p8+

Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2013 Scion xB & Release Series info. Lots of pics of my White 2013 "build" on p8+

wow, I haven't been on these forums in ages!

I had an 06 xB for almost 4 years and I loved it... I traded it in for a 2010 Mercedes E350 but I honestly miss the xB and I think I want another one...

The lease on the Merc is ending in January 2013 (11 months left or so)... I am almost sure I want an xB again... but is there a new model coming out or is it just an updates version of the current line?

Is there anything in the works for a redesigned xB for the 2013/2014 model year?

I have googled the hell out of this but didn't come up with anything concrete... Anyone in the know willing to fill us in?

cheers, gang!
-midtowndesi

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-17-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What the? Are you serious? Why would you go backwards...the merc is a much much nicer car. Go Lexus if you want out of the German crowd...don't drop all way down to a xB.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
is there a new model coming out or is it just an updates version of the current line?

Is there anything in the works for a redesigned xB for the 2013/2014 model year?

I have googled the hell out of this but didn't come up with anything concrete... Anyone in the know willing to fill us in?
I'm pretty sure there's no info out yet regarding a next version -- if there were, I'm pretty sure I'd have spotted a thread on one of the forums I frequent. I guess the 2014 model year is a possibility since they did a refresh for the 2011.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have any information on a redesign or anything but I feel like we won't be seeing anything new anytime soon. However, how is your E350? I recently took delivery of a 2012 E350, Sport, P1, Driver's Assist.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ricersux
What the? Are you serious? Why would you go backwards...the merc is a much much nicer car. Go Lexus if you want out of the German crowd...don't drop all way down to a xB.

ummm yeah what he said...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cheaper?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ BINGO!

@jnaval - the e350 is amazing. It literally feels like you're driving the comfiest couch on the planet powered by an amazing engine. It's a very smooth car and I have been bitten by the Mercedes bug. I plan on getting an s550 in a few years. mine had the p2 package, panaroramic sunroof, gun metal gray exterior and white interior... the car is a work of art on wheels. the ipod integration with the car is one of the nicest ones i've seen - so fluid and easy to use, not cumbersome while driving. in short - mb knows what they're doing.

The benz has been good - some minor technical glitches though (passenger side window motor went bad, quirky problems with auto-up on the windows leaving the window open sometimes, et al).. these are very minor compared to what happened at 1800 miles....

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w212...-one-time.html

I've had the car for like 2+ years now and it only has 14k miles on it - that's another reason i dont want an expensive car - i barely drive. but what sucks is that i had almost 40k miles on the box and i never had a single MINOR OR MAJOR issue with it... at 14k miles, the benz has some quirks that i am actually quite surprised to find...

but i digress. i want an xB again because it was such a fun car to drive. i parked it anywhere and didnt care about it. it got awesome gas mileage, it's big, it has some great standard features and for the price, i could not find a comparable car. when i bought my 06 xB brand new, i told myself i would never sell it.... idk why i did... i honestly regret it... it had almost 40k miles and i didn't have a single issue in the almost 4 years that i had it... if i had to make the choice again between keeping my 06 xb and getting a new benz, i would keep the box without hesitation.

just for comparison sakes, if you take the down payment + the 38 monthly payments for my e350, you can almost literally lease an xb for FOUR 3-YEAR LEASES IN A ROW for the same cost of the benz for 3 years....... my e350 has almost every option (sticker was almost $70k) except massaging seats because i didnt want to die in a car crash after falling asleep after a killer massage :D

i can afford another benz, even the s-class, but i just want something carefree... plus, i got bitten by the travel bug and would rather spend my $ on flights to miami than on a car i barely drive ;-) haha

Last edited by midtowndesi; 02-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Random...but why are people calling the xB2 (with a redesigned bumper), an xB3?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-17-2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Random...but why are people calling the xB2 (with a redesigned bumper), an xB3?
I've seen xB2.5, but not xB3. 2.5 makes sense to me.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-17-2020 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Do not buy one until they upgrade the ancient powertrain. I'm sorry but a 2012 model anything should not have a 4 speed auto.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup^^^
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The current Gen2 is getting a little long in the tooth so they probably will make much needed improvements to the powertrain.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i appreciate the tips, gang! i totally agree on waiting for the newer model to come out. i dig what they did with the new tC but it's just not big enough for me... i will be first on the list for the new xB! >:D
Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of people bash the power train, but that torque has always come in handy when I needed it. My xB stock can really gun it sometimes when I need that power.

And with bolt-ons, although only minimally faster, helps out tremendously, too.

You might want to give the new xB a test drive and see how it compares to your old box. It's totally different, not nearly as economy-oriented as your generation was. You'll notice the increase in power immediately.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I like what my 2008 xB2 manual is doing for me, but I'm definitely interested in learning what the dual VVTi 2.5L with 6 speed manual would make better! Let's face it, we're all greedy and the future is always more interesting than the present ! Still, athough I'm still under 11Kmi, I can't complain about performance. However, as is typical for human beings, I'd like more !

Last edited by TrevorS; 02-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like my xB and it's 4 speed automatic transmission which is why I had no problem keeping it along with the E350. Looks like you've made your decision to wait for a redesigned xB. I would say that with the money you've got on the E350, pick it up at the end of the lease. Or pick up the 2012+ E350 with the updated engine @ 302HP and BLUEEFFICIENCY add-ons.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

6 speed auto should have better mpg. One of the gripes with the current xB2. Imo Scion should dump the xd and give the next xB two engine choices and maybe a limited number of open decks (if they ever make one, though they should). Hell Kia changed up engines and transmissions mid cycle yet Toyota couldn't or wouldn't? WTH?! And if rumors are true Kia may be bringing the soulster to market. I really like Scion, but I'm not sure if sales can keep the xB alive with the way things are going. Again it's just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jnaval
I like my xB and it's 4 speed automatic transmission which is why I had no problem keeping it along with the E350. Looks like you've made your decision to wait for a redesigned xB. I would say that with the money you've got on the E350, pick it up at the end of the lease. Or pick up the 2012+ E350 with the updated engine @ 302HP and BLUEEFFICIENCY add-ons.
thanks for the tip but what do you mean that i should 'pick it up at the end of the lease?' to my understanding, my down payment is not refundable and even if i were to lease another merc, the dealer said i would have to put in another down payment from scratch - essentially i'll be paying another $25k+ for another merc (down payment + monthlys for 39 months)... is there something im missing?

as for the power trai, i think i am the only person on this forum that was happy with the gen1 power train. it's an economy car and i simply wanted to be able to get around town. as a joke, my friends would say that the gas pedal on the xB gen1 only made the engine louder :D haha
Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I meant that you should purchase the car at the end of the lease and keep it as a weekend or road trip car, unless you were already planning to. I was under the impression that you'd be returning the E350 and getting an xB.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahh - thanks so much for the clarification. i actually am thinking of returning the e350 (not buying it at the end of the lease) and getting an xB... while it would make sense to buy it at the end of lease, the back seats of the e350 are a little too cramped for roadtrips and i want something bigger... i would prefer getting an s550 in a few years and getting an xB in the meantime.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Scion xB & Release Series info. Lots of pics of my White 2013 "build" on p8+