Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Scion xB with a 1.4 D4-D Diesel Engine with 50 MPG?
YES
45.45%
NO
27.27%
Yes, but with a more powerful 1.9 D4-D
27.27%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Why not a Scion xB DIESEL????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default Why not a Scion xB DIESEL????

Toyota Motor Corporation is about to become the largest producer (1) of automobiles and small trucks in the United States, displacing General Motors. How did this happen? We voted, with our dollars, and put Toyota into this enviable position. Why did this happen? Toyota has consistently coupled the production of very reliable and cost effective vehicles with a great marketing program.

The position of 'Number One' in the United States auto market comes with a number of profoundly serious responsibilities, in my opinion. Paramount among these responsibilities is to aid the United States in reducing oil consumption in general, and foreign oil imports in particular. Great intellect is not required to realize that money sent from the USA to Muslim oil producing countries funds murderous acts around the world. At stake in this reduction of oil consumption is the physical survival of the American people against an aggressor simply practicing the words of the Quran (2), i.e. the complete Islamic domination of Planet Earth.

Yet, Toyota is premeditatively withholding developed technology from the USA, which would significantly reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

Toyota will introduce their Yaris (3) model into the USA during the Spring of 2006. Former iterations of this space and fuel-efficient vehicle have been available in Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia for several years with a choice of gasoline engines or an efficient diesel. However, the American public will not be given a choice of engines for the Yaris (4). It will be offered only with Toyota's 1.5 liter gasoline engine, not with the recently developed Toyota D-4D (5)1.4 liter turbo diesel engine which scores an amazing 62.8 MPG combined city/highway with less pollution than similarly sized gasoline engines.

Toyota has extended the technology used in the D-4D to larger engines and cars. The Toyota Verso (6), available in the United Kingdom, with a 1.9 liter D-4D scores 46.5 MPG combined city/highway. The very similar Matrix (7), with the only engine offered in this country, a 1.8 liter gasoline, scores approximately 30 MPG combined. The RAV4 (, as offered in the United States with a 2.4 liter gasoline engine and 2WD, scores 27 MPG. In the United Kingdom, where it is offered with a 2.2 liter D-4D diesel, the RAV4 (9) scores 42 MPG.

Toyota USA Public Relations was unable to give me any reason the D-4D technology will be withheld from the USA in any form in any vehicle during my e-mail and subsequent telephone inquiries about this matter. They further explained that there are no plans to ever introduce D-4D, or any, Toyota diesel technology to the US.

Two reasons occur to me as to why this super efficient diesel technology is not offered in the USA by Toyota:

1. Toyota is concerned that the introduction of a highly efficient diesel may reduce the sales of its electric hybrid vehicles before the corporation has recouped the development and tooling costs of the hybrids. Extending the argument, perhaps Toyota seeks to produce hybrids because of their greater value added to the finished product, leading to greater profits. This may be an ill advised business decision considering the potential increase in sales of Toyota vehicles equipped with diesels utilizing the clean D4-D technology, especially in the van and pick-up truck markets in the US. Tangentially, it must be stated that the D-4D technology and the electric hybrid technology, both Toyota products, are not mutually exclusive; the combination of these innovations in a single power plant, i.e. a D-4D turbo-diesel electric hybrid, would boost fuel economy to the 75 MPG range and Toyota profits by billions of dollars.

2. Diesel fuel available in the USA has insufficient lubricity to permit the all aluminum D-4D diesel a long service life. Since 1993, the sulfur content in #1 and #2 Diesel in the USA has been significantly reduced to meet environmental regulations. This lowers the fuel's lubricity, causing increased levels of wear in the high-pressure valves and pumps necessary for diesel engine operation. Fortunately, this excessive wear can be eliminated by the addition of as little as 2% biodiesel (10)(called B2) to the fuel. Biodiesel (11), produced from any animal or vegetable fat, even cooking waste oil, also reduces pollution and CO2 levels in the environment and is a renewable resource which can be produced entirely within the USA. The major byproduct of biodiesel production is cattle feed and/or fuel alcohols.

It must be reiterated that the reduction of foreign oil importation is a matter of United States national defense. Toyota Motor Corporation clearly possesses the technology and the superior market position to do just that, yet refuses to introduce that technology here, or to adequately explain any reason for withholding it.

I demand a US Congressional inquiry into this matter. Reducing foreign oil imports is as important as the production of weapons to defend the USA. Raising the Corporate Annual Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards should stop being the 'political football' is has been since 1975 and start being the serious national defense matter it is today.

References:

1. http://www.bizjournal.com/content/article.php?id=196
2. http://www.answering-islam.org/Autho...imate_goal.htm
3. http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/yaris.html
4. http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...=6/country/jcf
5. http://www.toyota-caribbean.com/tech...gloss_d4d.html
6. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=142
7. http://www.toyota.com/matrix/specs.html
8. http://www.toyota.com/rav4/specs.html
9. http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...m/main1024.jsp
10. http://www.biodiesel.org/markets/pre/ #
11. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html
Old 07-04-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dear future Scion owner--why don't you work on GM and Ford? I am getting 35 MPG in my Toyota. My last GM car gave me 22 MPG.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Diesel fuel cost 2x more than regular in my region. Diesel fuel is too costly. Also keep in mind, general public opinion of diesel cars are rather negative. Market demands on diesel cars are low. It would be kamikaze for Toyota to bring diesels while other manufacturers are holding back (excludes biodiesel cars). Once Honda, Nissan, BMW, Audi brings in diesels then peoples perception on diesel fuel will change.

The Toyota D4D 180 engine (tested on Toyota Avensis) already exceeds 2010 Euro Diesel minimum pollutant requirements.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt perception on diesel cars will change. Ask anyone who's bought a diesel during the fuel crunch. Those cars were total dogs in terms of performance. Diesels still suffer in terms of performance compared to their gas counterparts.

in Europe where the cost of gasoline is many times what it is here, diesels are more popular due to this. We can make gas more expensive and diesel cheaper.

I believe that to raise demand on diesel, we should reduce the tax on diesel and increase it on gas. This will have two effects. It will decrease fuel costs for commerce (total must), and it will increase consumber demand in the fuel. We can even work out the system to have a zero net gain in taxes with a sliding scale based on demand.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by d114
I doubt perception on diesel cars will change. Ask anyone who's bought a diesel during the fuel crunch. Those cars were total dogs in terms of performance. Diesels still suffer in terms of performance compared to their gas counterparts.

in Europe where the cost of gasoline is many times what it is here, diesels are more popular due to this. We can make gas more expensive and diesel cheaper.

I believe that to raise demand on diesel, we should reduce the tax on diesel and increase it on gas. This will have two effects. It will decrease fuel costs for commerce (total must), and it will increase consumber demand in the fuel. We can even work out the system to have a zero net gain in taxes with a sliding scale based on demand.
You can thank GM engineering for the diesels that came out during the late 70's gas crisis. They tried to use the same engine parts and the bolts would not hold up to the added pressure. At that time no one cared about the cost--they just needed to get some fuel. diesel was way cheaper than gas then and it was available.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

my dad drives a 99 tdi jetta. he gets 48mpg, deisel is about $.10 more per gallon around here. the amount of torqu that engine makes is awsome. VW also has a V10 TDI that makes 550lb/ft i would hardly call thata "total dogs in terms of performance" Audi just won Le Mans with a diesel powered car. Diesel is the way of the future. Hybrids cant compete in performance or gas milage. i would buy a diesel xB in a heatbeat.

Things will be alot diff once we get the clean diesel (in 08 i beleive) the engines will be much stonger. I think Toyota will wait until the clean diesel is here before they send over an engine. No point in doing it now as they woudl just have to start over in a few months.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
my dad drives a 99 tdi jetta. he gets 48mpg, deisel is about $.10 more per gallon around here. the amount of torqu that engine makes is awsome. VW also has a V10 TDI that makes 550lb/ft i would hardly call thata "total dogs in terms of performance" Audi just won Le Mans with a diesel powered car. Diesel is the way of the future. Hybrids cant compete in performance or gas milage. i would buy a diesel xB in a heatbeat.

Things will be alot diff once we get the clean diesel (in 08 i beleive) the engines will be much stonger. I think Toyota will wait until the clean diesel is here before they send over an engine. No point in doing it now as they woudl just have to start over in a few months.
you're funny hybrids can kill diesel in power , torque , and gas mileage.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
you're funny hybrids can kill diesel in power , torque , and gas mileage.
Umm, they can. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

go look at VWs 2.0 TDI. 170hp, 260lb/ft 53mpg highway.....sounds good to me
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
go look at VWs 2.0 TDI. 170hp, 260lb/ft 53mpg highway.....sounds good to me
maybe you should go buy one?

no hybrid currently in production kills diesels in all categories but they do currently win in seperate categories. like the prius get up to 60 mpg , while having 295 lb/ft of torque from JUST the electric motor. yes it has less hp but two out of three ain't bad.

just waint the next few years will show vast improvements in all/some area's regarding hybrids.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I've had two Mark IV VW TDIs and I have to say that they are GREAT cars... super mileage, great power and when chiptuned, will stomp any hybrid... and can be 100 percent renuably run with Biodiesel from Soy, (Which hybrids aren't) so they're even more fuel friendly.... BUT....

Toyota won't sell an xB as a diesel because, #1, it can't sell in California or NJ, (No TDI's can be sold in California or NJ due to clean air restrictions) which would KILL their profitability, as Toyota is a cali focused company for sure... and #2, the demand just isn't there... With Biodiesel becomeing more profitable, there maybe is an option... but not for years...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

biodiesel is never going to hit mainstream....... when i work toyota events at things like green festivals n crap the ONLY people to ever ask about biopdiesel are those people. the hippies that the VAST ( not all ) majority of them could not afford any new car let alone a technologically advanced one.

tdi's used to be sold in cali wonder when that stopped? hell i saw em for sale here one or two years ago for sure , havent ever really cared enough to keep going back and checking. they should be allowed here if insanely dirty full size trucks are.

just wait for power hybrids come out
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as TDI Volkswagens are concerned I thought they were still sold here. I never heard anything about them no longer being sold in California. From what I understand diesel powered vehicles fall under different guidelines than gasoline vehicles. I am sure if the TDI Volkswagens were banned, all diesel trucks would be as well.

Now for the biodiesel. I think it is an awesome idea. It isn't for everyone. But for those who can afford the equipment to convert used cooking oil themselves it is one sweet deal. You really can't beat 55 cents a gallon once you have paid off all of the equipment.

And before anyone jumps to any conclusions... I am about as far from a tree hugging hippy as you can get. You'd be more likely to see me slap a hippy than shake their hand. To me biodiesel is more about sticking it to big oil than it is about helping the environment. Not to mention the huge savings!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

VW TDI's last I heard, still cannot be sold in Cali and NJ due to CAR emmisions restrictions... Trucks classify as "Farm" or industrial use, and can get around it...

You have to have at least 7500 miles on a diesel car to sell it in California.... lame rule, as diesel engines last forever and with the correct emissions equipment, aren't worse for the envirnment than gas engines...
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe you should go buy one?
Don't be condescending, it's not very nice.

no hybrid currently in production kills diesels in all categories but they do currently win in seperate categories. like the prius get up to 60 mpg , while having 295 lb/ft of torque from JUST the electric motor. yes it has less hp but two out of three ain't bad.
And the Prius has faster acceleration than a turbo-diesel? I'd LOVE to see that. Oh, and the Prius does not get 60mpg, that's a load of crap. Maybe 40-50mpg.

just waint the next few years will show vast improvements in all/some area's regarding hybrids.
Exactly. So what's your point? Aren't you trying to convince us to buy a hybrid over a diesel?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What kills me is all the "performance" talk in the xB sections. C'mon... even with a diesel... who cares about speed? Like our cars are rockets?

I say, bring me a fuel efficient vehicle with more torque. If that means diesel, bio-diesel, gasoline, or natural-gas... I don't care. I'm sure Toyota will make a good choice.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member

Diesel engines have their place and their technology is advancing very rapidly, including the Turbo aspects of it. I'm not siding with VW here, I'm just stating facts, VW developed a 4 cyl engine with a turbo AND a supercharger. The end result is an engine with high performance, and high fuel efficiency. I love my TCM xB, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I also drive a Ford Super Duty Diesel for work, and I can honestly tell anybody that a turbodiesel is more efficient pulling a 40ft flatbed weighing 35,000 lbs, than a gasoline engine would be. My dad purchased 3, 2006 VW Jetta TDI for his business, and they have saved him a lot of money in fuel and maintenence compared to the fleet of diesel trucks. Anyway, I think this thread will get very heated quickly. The bottom line is, the reason they manufacture so many cars, is because everybody has different tastes. And I would buy a TDI xB!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ethan_in_Richmond
Diesel engines have their place and their technology is advancing very rapidly, including the Turbo aspects of it. I love my TCM xB, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I also drive a Ford Super Duty Diesel for work, and I can honestly tell anybody that a turbodiesel is more efficient pulling a 40ft flatbed weighing 35,000 lbs, than a gasoline engine would be. My dad purchased 3, 2006 VW Jetta TDI for his business, and they have saved him a lot of money in fuel and maintenence compared to the fleet of diesel trucks. Anyway, I think this thread will get very heated quickly. The bottom line is, the reason they manufacture so many cars, is because everybody has different tastes. And I would buy a TDI xB!

I agree 100% with this. I also have a F-250 Turbo Diesel and you just can't beat the power it produces, way better than gas engines could ever be. And the fact of better gas mileage makes a TDI xB a great idea. And for all you people worried about saving the environment, diesel engines can run on used vegetable oil with minor modifications, solving two environmental issues.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Anyone ever watch Trucks on Spike? I think it is Bully Dog does some CRAZY stuff! NOS. Propane. Re-mapping. Intake. Exhaust.

Diesel can definately rock! If they ever drop a clanker into the box, it totally becomes the UPS' little cousin.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member

I'll toss my 2 cents in here, maybe it will answer some questions for those who are new to diesel technology. Again, I'm not taking sides, I'm neutral here. Most everybody is aware of Turbo-Diesels and Turbocharged-Gasoline engines. Diesels are naturally more efficient with a turbo because of the much higher compression thats required to ignite the diesel fuel. What some people don't know is, that diesel engines do not have spark plugs, like a gas-engine, diesel engines ignite their fuel by means of enormous compression. Now, diesel engines DO have GLOW plugs, not to be mistaken for spark plugs. Glow plugs are used to "preheat" the insides of diesel to allow the fuel to combust more readily, this is especially true when it is cold. Because of their high compression, diesel engines can operate at lower RPMs but still put out comparable horsepower to a gasoline engine. Now, back to the turbo issue: Most turbo applications in gasoline cars these days, are mainly for performance, and their fuel efficiency isn't wonderful. Gas engines, unless severly modified, can't handle the high boost pressures that a Turbo-diesel puts out, the gas engine would simply explode. A Detroit Series 60 Diesel engine, found in a lot of high end motohomes, puts out about 37 psi in boost pressure at heavy throttle. A stock gas engine would explode at pressures like that. Thats why heavily modified gas engines with a turbo need Blow-Off Valves, they release the excess pressure in the intake manifold to keep it from blowing up. Diesel engines however, can handle the boost of aftermarket turbo's, such as Bank's Power Products. If you are interested in knowing more about high performance diesel engines, check out bankspower.com I'm not trying to change anybody's mind here, I just want to present the facts, because I know some people [very few] post their opinions on subjects they don't know much about.

Quick Reply: Why not a Scion xB DIESEL????