Notices

ABS/TC/VSC/BRAKE LIGHTS!!! (again!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member

We have a 2008 xB and had these same problems. We replaced the left rear wheel bearing (for the speed sensor code). The lights went off for one day.
When they came back on, same codes, we replaced the speed sensor connector (from the TSB).
We tried to clear the codes, the scanner said they cleared, but did not. We unhooked the battery for ten minutes. We cannot get the lights off.

Any suggestions?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-16-2020 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Dealing with this now myself. Mine threw a code for the right rear. Brought it in, they disconnected the connector. Cleaned and was fine for a day. Problem came back. So ordered wiring harness to be installed. Brought the car in, and when he checked the codes before replacing the harness, it now showed the left rear sensor bad. So mechanic put new harness on. Didnt fix the problem.

Now at the point where I need to just replace left rear hub.

Sucks dealing with this problem

Where is everybody getting their hubs from for a good price to fix this sh*t?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member

We put a Moog brand hub in it. They're good quality. Got it from Advance Auto. I hope that works for you. We're back at square one. Replaced everything, light won't reset.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Have you replaced the hub on both sides? Wiring harness on both sides?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member

No. Just the left side. That's the code that's coming up. Hate to put that much money into the right side when we're not getting the code for the right.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you clean the connector that plugs into the wheel bearing? My ABS/VSC and so on came on, I just cleaned the connection, applies Dielectric Grease and the light went off and never came back on again.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member

I will try that ^^^

I'm facing the same issue with my 12' xB... won't go away....
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member

We first replaced the hub (for the new sensor), light went out for a day. When it came back on, we cleaned the connector and used dielectric grease. Light did not go off. Drove it for a day to see if it would reset. It did not. Found the Toyota bulletin about the connector, so we ordered and installed it. Scanner said the codes cleared, but light will not go out. If this is happening with even the newer XBs, Toyota should be repairing under warranty. If Toyota finds and fixes, please post what they did!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member

I completely agree! unfortunately this had to happen right after my warranty expired and I'm already nearing 50k. Don't think I can shell out the money at this moment just to fix a "sensor" issue...

edit 2/1: so cleaning the sensor and adding dielectric grease didn't kill the vsc light...also had unhooked the car's negative battery cable and left it off for at least an hour an hour (went to do other things lol) so back to square one again. Most likely have to replace the sensor or sensor wire? or both?

Last edited by LoGis71K; 02-02-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member

I'm wondering about this issue my self as well. My 2012 xB is having light issues. About a week ago i had my lunch in the passenger seat and some one cut me off to the point I had to slam on the brakes and kicked all my stuff onto the floor board.
After that the seat belt, airbag and SRS light has been on for the passenger side. Then the other day I go to leave in the morning and the E-brake light/Traction control/SRS/ABS/Passenger Air bag light/ passenger seat belt light were all on at once. W

Dropped it off to the dealer and they cleared the temp codes and had the top tech drive the car home and in the next morning to have it scanned live. They called me the next morning and informed me there is some wiring issues they want to look at.
I hope that I didn't do any thing wrong BUT all my connections are soldered and shrink wrapped unlike the "factory" alarm they installed.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-16-2020 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-24-2015, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member

My 2008 xB is at the dealer now and I'm being told that it is the wheel base sensor and the quote to fix is $700.

My brother is a mechanic - is this something that can be fixed at home?

I will also sing praises to my dealership as they have honored my warranty above and beyond - for other issues including replacing the engine due to oil consumption issues.

However this latest problem has come after warranty expired. "Zippy" has 108k miles on her now....

Thanks!

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-16-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-27-2015, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default Gas Cap

Had the same issue, luckily for me it turned out to be that it was just the gas cap was not seated properly. It was cold and the gas cap had a bunch of ice around it. When I went to screw it back on after filling up I guess I didn't screw it back on perfectly and I got all of these lights.

Anyway...check the gas cap first.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it is the gas cap, shouldn't there be another code for it? I had a speed sensor issue with my Lexus and it cleared by itself,
my xB has the speed sensor code for awhile now, I have just been lazy to find out what is wrong till now.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-16-2020 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-08-2015, 09:40 PM

Default Same issue check engine light came on with abs front right n left speed sensor

Hi has anyone found out if Toyota has done anything about this issue when it comes to repairs. I just got the car and now this issue. It's highly annoying.. Please let me know
Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Happening to my 2008 Scion xD in March 2016 w/ 97k

Live in Midwest. Went the whole cold winter without problems, started to have some really nice days. Got the lights on a suddenly cold day (30F), took to shop to get code (didn't know about O'Reilly checking codes for free), diagnosed as failed right rear speed sensor.

He quoted me $260 parts/labor/tax but said he'd try to get me a discount. I'll pick it up later today and find out what I end up paying.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:57 PM

Default Keep in mind

Originally Posted by NOPR
So about a month ago I went out to my car in the morning and after starting it I noticed the ABS, BRAKE, TC, and VSC lights were all on. Since it was snowing and cold and I was in a parking lot, I did a little test and realized my traction control and ABS were both not working. My car had 37,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership (Grand Blanc BMW/Mercedes/Toyota) who said this was basically a fault code in the wheel speed sensing system, so all of the features that use the wheel speed system are disabled as a precaution. They cleared the code, but the next day it came back. I took it in again and they replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor for free (luckily), and the car was fine.

Fast Forward to this week. Again I drove my car in the snow and the cold, and parked it at night with no problems. Next morning I start it and all the lights are back. Again all the systems are disabled. The car now has 39,000 miles on it, so I'm out of warranty by a bit. I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealership, but I can't imagine its going to be a cheap fix. The last time they quoted around 500 dollars for the work, which luckily I didn't have to pay. Has anyone else experienced these issues in cold weather? or in warm weather? The dealership offered no explanation for why it happened. I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with our sensors and freezing weather or salty weather because both times its happened it was in extremely cold weather (15 or so).

I'm already ____ed enough that I'm driving around in snow and ice with no traction control or ABS (big selling points for this car), and now I'll likely have to pay 500-1000 dollars to repair a car that's not even 1.5 years old and is only 3000 miles out of warranty. Toyota has severely dissapointed me, at this point I'm feeling like I should have spent the extra money on the element or waited for the cube. I'll keep you guys updated as I get it back in the dealership sometime this week.
keep in mind that the dealership that you went to is not a Scion/Toyota first party dealership they are a third party dealership selling multiple other dealers off the same lot. That being said. I'm currently having some extremely odd issues with my 2008 xB. For quite a while now. Whenever I'm accelerating from a stop I hear a whining noise that sounds like streaght cut gears. The noise only ranges from 0 to 25 and some times up to 45. (Basically the first gear.) After that there is no more, what seems to be transmission noises. But just today. I was at a complete stop and slowly went off the line with only about 25% throttle and the car felt like it had engaged the abs. But the vibration was only coming through the steering wheel and gas pedal. Originally my family and I thought it was a torque converter that was making this weird noise in the first gear but now after reading a Few forum's idk what to believe. Can the abs system actually make this noise happen in the first gear and what are ways to test the issue or ways to weed out the problem.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Same issue

Warm day after a fairly snowy winter. Lights came on. Traction control, brakes, ABS.

2009 IQ with only 25k on it. Taking it in Monday