Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Any risk in buying a 2008 xB early in production run?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any risk in buying a 2008 xB early in production run?

Now, I am used to American cars, and it is pretty well known common knowledge that purchasing a car in the first year of release generally means lower quality, more squeaks/rattles, and premature component failures.

I used to be an engineer for a supplier to a major US-based car manufacturer(it sucked...moved to the steel industry), and I can say firsthand that early production units are substantially below the quality of units produced just 6 -10 months later. More than you could possibly believe.

I was wondering if any of you are concerned about this with the xB. I want to get one as soon as possible, I don't want to wait a year if my fears are unfounded.

So...did anyone here get an early-production 1st gen xB, xA, or tC? Did you have any significant problems that were fixed later in the production run? Are there any well known early-production problems with the current Scions?

I am not sure if these early-production problems are a domestic manufacturer problem or if they are throughout the industry. With the reputation Toyota has, I doubt they would let any lemons out the door...

I was not really sure which forum this should be in, but I think I made the right choice.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, there are often minor problems in 1st production year models. For example, I believe the 1st gen xB had some problems with the A/C venting that was fixed in later years.

I wouldn't be overly concerned- any problems should be minor and fixed under warranty. But if you're looking for a trouble free car, it's probably better to wait until later in the model year or the 2nd year. Even if they don't fix them in the cars sold, the dealer should have some service bulletins by then.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So any problems like that will be recalled/fixed under warranty? I am afraid of some kind of persistent, common rattle that they claim is just normal wear and tear, etc. I thought I read something about the tC having something like that. I am new to the whole car buying thing, I have only owned Fieros in the past, and the first year was VERY different. Completely different wiring harness, lots of fire problems, slightly diff suspension, etc. You can see why I am nervous. But, that was the 80s and that was Pontiac...

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually not a big deal with Toyota, they have a better relationship with their suppliers than do the domestics, and impose equally high standards on them. However, even in Toyota, there are measurable differences in quality as the model time goes on, but it's still on a much much smaller scale than the domestics.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what makes toyota a great company is there ability to avoid the aforementioned problems or remedy them. The 08 xb has the 2azfe engine and tranny, the same as the tc and the same as the camry used years before it so there was no reliabilty concern as far as drivetrain was concerned when a car designed to be modified came out. Unlike the cobalt and srt4. Toyota is also extremely extensive with their TSB's (technical service bulletins) The hatch rattle that plauged the first years tc have now been fixxed and toyota released a provision to help techs fix all the cars with the problem and not just shove them to the curb.

basically if there ever is a problem with first gen, toyota will take care of it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have access to Technical Service Bulletins, Toyota usually releases tips for solving squeak and rattle issues in response to customer complaints. If your dealer won't help, you can usually do them yourself.

There is one for front seats making a popping noise when you move in them, and the solution is to trim the plastic caps at the end of the chair rails. I'm thinking about doing it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet. Thanks for the reassurance guys.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i guess i'll wait till the xb2 is in it's last year to buy one....but then they will have a 3rd gen, and i will behind yet again!. But i like my xb. I just want to add the strup. and i will be loud! lol.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would never buy a 1st year production car again! I bought an 05 tC and the hatch + moon roof rattled non-stop. Even on smooth, freshly paved roads the rattle was persistent.

And unlike what someone posted above, the TSB's that Toyota put out for the rattle are nothing more than installing small felt pieces in as many places as they can and pray that the rattle goes away. It is not a real fix, and there will never be a real fix.

This problem was fixed (to some extent) in the later years by switching from plastic to metal clips/ holders etc in the hatch and moon roof assembly. So if you wait, many of the gremlins from the initial production will be fixed/ solved by the 2nd year for the new xB2..

Since I had an 05, and was told that I was SOL, I traded it in for the last year production xB and couldnt be happier....
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure there will be a few bugs to work out at first, but Toyota will make them good. Just like the Gen1 xB.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first gen xB was based off the second gen Bb.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
I would never buy a 1st year production car again! I bought an 05 tC and the hatch + moon roof rattled non-stop. Even on smooth, freshly paved roads the rattle was persistent.

And unlike what someone posted above, the TSB's that Toyota put out for the rattle are nothing more than installing small felt pieces in as many places as they can and pray that the rattle goes away. It is not a real fix, and there will never be a real fix.

This problem was fixed (to some extent) in the later years by switching from plastic to metal clips/ holders etc in the hatch and moon roof assembly. So if you wait, many of the gremlins from the initial production will be fixed/ solved by the 2nd year for the new xB2..

Since I had an 05, and was told that I was SOL, I traded it in for the last year production xB and couldnt be happier....

no its a whole diffrent sunroof assembly and ive done a few on 05's and the prblem has always been solved.
the hatch issue is new bolts and spacers and worked on my 06 and my ex managers 05.