Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

delima....should i trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default delima....should i trade in?

ok..with gas prices soaring...i am really conicdering trading in my car...n the only car that really caught my eye that is better on gas n good bang for the buck..is the new scion xb..just smething about that car i like..
i drive a 99' lexus gs400..so...obviously..gas is crazy...gas where i live is 3.81 a gallon..(for preuime.)...

soo...i know these are two very very very different class cars..but i ask u guys here..cuz u guys drive scion..and know scion..would i be making a huge mistake?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Dood. I sold my '98 Eldorado ETC because its a gas pig. I drive 36mi. each way to work. I'm sure your gonna miss the V8, but what can you do. With out a doubt this car will be a turd in compairison with a GS400. On the other hand, a 99 GS400 isn't really all that cool anymore anyway. Get the practical car that still has a little style, xb is the way to go. Even reliability wise, I don't have to tell you the advantages of a Toyota product over most other vechiles. It might not pull ars like a new M5 or something, but the car will wear off if you can't spend a little dough on the chick anyway. They really don't care, the ones that do are dirty bar hoochies anyway.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lazy,

I must say for 3 years, I was never without my box, it has been great to me and of coarse yuou can't go wrong with a Toyota product. It is a wonderful feeling to have a sound car.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 AM

Also trading in..

Hey everyone, new to the forum. My Dad has an 05 xb and it is a great vehicle. Sporty handling, great gas mileage, and just so practical it makes you sick.

I currently have an 04 Jeep Liberty and it has given me nothing but problems the past 10,000 miles (50,000 miles total). The auto-transmission is going bad, but according to the dealer, everything is "normal." When you try to come to a complete stop at a red light, the transmission clunks to disengage. You can feel and hear this in the car. Then some kind of buzzing or error noise comes from underneathe the hood somewhere, both before and after this clunk.

When you shift the transmission from reverse to drive, the brake has to be held for at least 6 or 7 seconds until you feel it engage. If you just go from R to D and hold the brake for 1 or 2 seconds like a normal person, the engine would begin revving and a couple seconds later when the transmission finally gets the clue, you would have a very loud and hard bang into gear.

The transmission constantly rummages through 1st and 2nd gear in city traffic, never knowing which gear to pick. If the engine is slowly being revved and is about to change gears.. and you all of a sudden try to "coast" or encounter a steep incline.. the transmission will again clunk out of gear and more of the buzzing/error noises from under the hood.

You can imagine how this looks when I take girls out on dates.. they all say "Your car makes weird noises" and I am REALLY embarassed of this problem. The buzzing/error noise is SO loud that cars next to me at red lights can hear it, and frequently turn to look if the car next to them is a complete POS? No, it's a 2.5 year old vehicle, and is under a 70,000 miles warranty... but I can sleep easy at night knowing the dealer tells me all that is "normal"

So, this constant headache.. coupled with my sucky gas mileage (17 all the time... gas was $1.30 when I got the Jeep, man how times have changed).. makes me want a new car, and the 08 xb is it. I am coming over to the Toyota side because I figure you can't make it to the #1 automaker status with transmission problems like THAT!

The way I figured out the gas issue.. my jeep gets 17 all the time.. and if the 08 xb gets 25 all the time.. you save about $2,800 in gas bills every 50,000 miles (if regular stays at $3.00/gal) The way I drive.. I can easily go 18,000 miles in a year. That's a savings of $1,000 each year!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Only in a Jeep...
Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Holding7
The way I figured out the gas issue.. my jeep gets 17 all the time.. and if the 08 xb gets 25 all the time.. you save about $2,800 in gas bills every 50,000 miles (if regular stays at $3.00/gal) The way I drive.. I can easily go 18,000 miles in a year. That's a savings of $1,000 each year!
Not to mention the emotional and psychological benefits of filling up for around $25. I had a Blazer that got exactly the same mileage as your Heep...and now whenever I hear about gas prices going up, I just laugh, mad scientist-style.

My Blazer had just as many stupid problems (mind you, that was around 130K or so), and I got the xB for the same reasons you want one: better mileage, and never having to call a loved one from the parking lot of a Wal-Mart at 3:00 in the morning because my car won't start.

Welcome to the family in advance, boys