Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Don’t let the xb2 die

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Don’t let the xb2 die

so we had a couple bad years with the xb2 sales,…. but it ____es me off that a suppository rodent(a Richard Gere reference) carrying copy cat of a car beat Scion in sales simply because of cartoony marketing and flashy ___ lights around the speakers…. Then Toyota has the nerve to cut production simply because sales dropped. I blame Toyota’s lazy marketing for this car towards the end. Its kinda like getting shot to death on the toilet and not in a blaze of glory. I just wish people would see that the xb2 is a excellent car. Im just say bring back some original marketing to emphasize how good the car really is. it would suck to loose to a kia

when i see a kia soul commercial i think of south park...

http://youtu.be/o0B5vuAYk94

vs

sounds the same to me.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM
ntm

agreed...
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The funny thing is, with all their youthful marketing at KIA, I see more old people driving the Soul than I do an XB2, Toyota had this issue with the first Yaris and other smaller cars. They marketed them to the younger people and older people were still the ones buying them. I think it has to do more with price point than marketing. Still gonna get with that.......! Live on XB2
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They need to just stop trying to target the younger audience. If people like it then they will buy it.

Hell i wana buy a Lexus LS and i know that car isnt being marketed to anyone near 23 years old. Lol.

Plus people will realize where the quality lies. And TRUST ME, KIA doesnt have it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I can so far tell, there's nothing about the xB2 that consigns it to yesterday. However, when it comes to modding, the limits are pretty loose. Average mpg and vehicle cost tends to rise over vehicle life :O! But that doesn't mean we can't fight back ! A lot goes into making a balanced turbo and given the costs, I think it reasonable that Piccadilly station be my next in line ! However, nothing radical about the typical Brit countryside! I'm just hoping for an eventual good breathing quick spool turbo .

Last edited by TrevorS; 09-24-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I disagree it's the assoul's marketing that is the leading reason for its sales success. It's bang for the buck and mpg that is the reason imo. I think all Scion's are over priced by at least $2000 with a small warranty. If Toyota's are superior (I feel it is in some cases), then why doesn't Toyota back it up with a comparable warranty? I tried really hard to get my nephew to buy an xB2, but it's hard to compete with a cheaper car that has more features, a stronger engine with better mpg, and that warranty. He'll a sun roof isn't even an option unless you get a release series and that isn't on all of them.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tried to sell my soul for an IS-F they wouldn't take it for a trade in
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
i tried to sell my soul for an IS-F they wouldn't take it for a trade in
Did the same for an LFA, then they called the police.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, the warranty sucks, selling car with hubcaps, no floor mats, not bad but not great MPG numbers for a small budget car, to expensive TRD parts Toyota should go back to their roots of apocalypse ready machines, no available AWD as the rumion, the pure price might look good, but in reality is not, poor audio system upgrades until now with the OEM audio wich is very good but very expensive - when you pay that amount to a dealer you will be expecting Audio + Nav + Sunroof + leather seats + push start I think you get the Idea2, the head unit wont do it by it self, supercharger was expensive not worth for that price. any other than that

I like all cars, scion youtube marketing but they are not getting that many views, the RS models, buying a car that doesnt not have a model and many other features that made me buy my xB in 2009 wich is around 2500.00 more here at Puerto Rico, they do include 16'' alloys, floor mats and the pioneer head unit.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW -- I compared the price of my 2008 to other low price vehicles and given the interior cubic footage and gas mileage, it was a decent deal (would have preferred a 2.0L engine, but I'll survive). If you're looking for different specs, then there may be better choices. This is very much an individual thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think one of the problems is that the Toyota dealers don't really want to sell any Scion product as there is not enough profit in it for them. Thus when I drive by my local Toyota dealer, they have very few, if any, scions on the lot.

If there isn't one on the lot, and they don't advertise, it won't sell.

I wonder if they will advertise the FR-S? Perhaps Subaru will push them into it?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
I think one of the problems is that the Toyota dealers don't really want to sell any Scion product as there is not enough profit in it for them. Thus when I drive by my local Toyota dealer, they have very few, if any, scions on the lot.

If there isn't one on the lot, and they don't advertise, it won't sell.

I wonder if they will advertise the FR-S? Perhaps Subaru will push them into it?
A sad commentary, but to be sure. In my area I rarely see an xB2 (or xB1 for that matter). I suspect sales are very much area specific and although I'd very much like it to have been more successful, that doesn't seem to have been the case . We may have our personal allegiances, but we have no control over marketing and sales so, unfortunately, our preferences are ultimately subject to the wind !
Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member

I didn't let the xb2 die;
I did (not gonna lie) look at the soul, as well as a few other vehicles while deciding but absolutely fell in love with the xb2.

I am now (as of yesterday) a owner of a gorgeous super white xb2
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good for you, my 2008 xB2 is great! Car satisfies me very well !
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 PM

The soul has some pretty nice details on it, but overall I think the body of the xB is better looking. Not to mention the awesome forums we got

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meh i think the soul is a SUV wannabe. I good marketing for SCION would be bring the 4WD from the rumion, add some LED's I dont know why people like their cars looking like chrismast trees, better MPG, 6 speed manual and auto, a engine option, leather seats for not just the RS, the newest head unit is pretty cool and get some weird comercial. Then I would trade my '10 xB nah just kiding she is my BFF.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member

Good marketing would go a long way toward sales.... There is NO substitute.

I don't really care what they do with the scion brand at this point, I have 2, 2012 Scion xB's and I will probably have them for many years.

I don't know how any car company could have such a great car (ESPECIALLY AT THIS PRICE) and not put any effort into marketing. This car is a great car for a Mini Van Replacement, It's a Great Small SUV, Decent Gas Mileage, given it's size and utility, ROOMINESS, convertability, customizability, and so much more. You can get the fancy lights for them if you gotta have 'em, you can get lowering kits, and large stickers to have more artistic license..... but over all, it is difficult for me to find any vehicle that would cover more areas in the whole market of Great, consumer appreciable cars.

I still believe Toyota Should take the xB over to the Scion line and offer a few more options from the factory (More colors would be a HUGE offering and a couple of interior colors). Somehow a lot of folks just don't understand the Scion thing at all, and see it as an inferior Toyota line, when in fact, it's an equal, just less options.

The 2012 xB has a Much larger engine, I guess. It has the same basic drivetrain as the 2000 Camry... at a 2.4 litre engine, I don't feel wanting for power at all. I traded a 2000 Camry for my wife's xB, and a 2004 Ranger Edge Pickup for Mine. No love lost anywhere.

Anyone that feels like they don't have enough power, should buy the later model xB. I can run over 100 mph if I want to..... comfortably. This car is truly an all around great vehicle. The only thing my wife would like would be a bigger gas tank.... She hates filling up even if she only fills up once a month....
Old 11-23-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They xB has the 2.4 engine since the 2gen came out, what I mean by engine option is a smaller one for people that dont care much abour performance, that will lower the car price tag and will get better MPG. The transmision is plain old not that many cars come with a 4auto any more. 5 speed manual is not that bad but a 6 speed feels more like the brand image, will add performance and better mpg.

Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS
Good marketing would go a long way toward sales.... There is NO substitute.

I don't really care what they do with the scion brand at this point, I have 2, 2012 Scion xB's and I will probably have them for many years.

I don't know how any car company could have such a great car (ESPECIALLY AT THIS PRICE) and not put any effort into marketing. This car is a great car for a Mini Van Replacement, It's a Great Small SUV, Decent Gas Mileage, given it's size and utility, ROOMINESS, convertability, customizability, and so much more. You can get the fancy lights for them if you gotta have 'em, you can get lowering kits, and large stickers to have more artistic license..... but over all, it is difficult for me to find any vehicle that would cover more areas in the whole market of Great, consumer appreciable cars.

I still believe Toyota Should take the xB over to the Scion line and offer a few more options from the factory (More colors would be a HUGE offering and a couple of interior colors). Somehow a lot of folks just don't understand the Scion thing at all, and see it as an inferior Toyota line, when in fact, it's an equal, just less options.

The 2012 xB has a Much larger engine, I guess. It has the same basic drivetrain as the 2000 Camry... at a 2.4 litre engine, I don't feel wanting for power at all. I traded a 2000 Camry for my wife's xB, and a 2004 Ranger Edge Pickup for Mine. No love lost anywhere.

Anyone that feels like they don't have enough power, should buy the later model xB. I can run over 100 mph if I want to..... comfortably. This car is truly an all around great vehicle. The only thing my wife would like would be a bigger gas tank.... She hates filling up even if she only fills up once a month....
Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by scionxbpr
They xB has the 2.4 engine since the 2gen came out, what I mean by engine option is a smaller one for people that dont care much abour performance, that will lower the car price tag and will get better MPG. The transmision is plain old not that many cars come with a 4auto any more. 5 speed manual is not that bad but a 6 speed feels more like the brand image, will add performance and better mpg.
Yeah,.... the conversations on another xB forum were about more power at the same time..... The cost on pretty much any engine as old as this design, shouldn't make the cost higher than a newly designed engine.... and I don't know how the displacement of an engine has so damn much weight in the pricing of cars..... It should be a wash in my mind, considering the higher displacement usually means much lower economy.....

All that aside, it seems to me that introducing multiple engine options makes for more complex pricing and much more. One of the things that keeps the xB in the arena, is it IS one of the best priced people mover vehicles that can be had.... now if they'd just spend fifty bucks or more on marketing, they'd get some sales numbers up......

This IS a VERY good vehicle. It could use some attention to a few details with each year. But over-all.... Damn good for the money.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS
Yeah,.... the conversations on another xB forum were about more power at the same time..... The cost on pretty much any engine as old as this design, shouldn't make the cost higher than a newly designed engine.... and I don't know how the displacement of an engine has so damn much weight in the pricing of cars..... It should be a wash in my mind, considering the higher displacement usually means much lower economy.....

All that aside, it seems to me that introducing multiple engine options makes for more complex pricing and much more. One of the things that keeps the xB in the arena, is it IS one of the best priced people mover vehicles that can be had.... now if they'd just spend fifty bucks or more on marketing, they'd get some sales numbers up......

This IS a VERY good vehicle. It could use some attention to a few details with each year. But over-all.... Damn good for the money.

Yeah, I don't see a engine option for any scion since they have that pure price thing and buy your blank slate build it your one way. As one of cnet car tech episodes said, ''buying a scion and leaving it stock? I think you did not get the idea''. Look on this thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=211717&page=3

Quick Reply: Don’t let the xb2 die