eBay TRD Knock-Off Cat-Back Exhaust INSTALLED w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default eBay TRD Knock-Off Cat-Back Exhaust INSTALLED w/ Pics

I ordered the TRD knock-off cat-back exhaust last week and got it in last night. On arrival and opening, the packaging was extreme. Whoever is selling these exhaust kits really wants to protect it during shipping. The box was beat to hell and the bubble wrap was so tightly wrapped, it took me about 15 mins just to upwrap with with a knife.

Upon first inspecting, the actual muffler (which really turned out to be a resonator) was dented, however, you can't see this part so it didn't really matter to me. When looking at the rest of the kit, it looked decent for $175 shipped. The welds around the bracket hangers were nothing to jump around about, but if one breaks, you just need to take it to a shop and have them tack weld it back in place.

The kit comes with new gaskets and new hardware (nuts and bolts). The gaskets were ____tier then I expected, but they work fine once they flatten out and bake for a while. No leaks present as I can see.

Just a few pointers when uninstalling your stock exhaust: unbolt the mid-pipe from the scuba take first, but leave them in a little bit so that you have some tension on the rest of the pieces when unbolting them as they were a pain in my ___ to break loose. Then unbolt the stock resontator from the mid pipe, leaving the bolts a little bit in. Next, unbolt the scuba tank from the s-pipe towards the front of the car. Leaving all these bolts in just a little bit, remove the hangers from the rubber grommets. Then you can take each piece out one by by unbolt the screws.

When reinstalling, I found it easier to install the kit from the back to the front. You might need to move the exhaust brace (located right under the back end of the scuba tank) to allow more room to work with. Every piece comes with new hardware (nuts and bolts) so just install them and your good to go. Just as a tip, reuse the stock bolts when installing the ebay scuba tank replacement that connects to the s-pipe. The s-pipe has the nuts tack welded to the actual flange, so you can just reuse the stock screws and it will fit fine.

All in all, the sound is astonishing for what it is. Very quiet will driving and has a great sound when accelerating. The drone isn't bad in first, but goes away completely once in 2nd gear. As far as looks, sound and ease of installating, this system is more than worth the money I paid for it. As far as gains for performance, I will not know as I don't plan on dynoing the car anytime soon. It does feel more free when accelerating if that makes any sense. I do feel a gain, but I couldn't tell you if there really is any. As far as quality...who knows?! I will find out down the road and post up if something breaks. But hell, you can't beat a full cat back exhaust for $175 shipped.

Oh, BTW, the both "mufflers" are resonators, not mufflers which gives it such a nice deep aggressive tone.

Here are some pics before I installed them:

Old 12-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Grats Devin...
Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You think you could get a video of how it sounds and post it up?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

So it replaces the scuba also huh? Are you running a header as well? I am just curious if it is loud without both cats in there. Congrats though, does not look like a bad peice.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I will try and get a video clip next time I wash my car. I dont have headers because the car is a lease and the work involved isn't worth the time. It does replace the scuba tank with a resonator which holds one of the two cats. I an thinking about hollowing out the header cat. I'm sure it would be laouder without both.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you liked it, I'm currently running this setup but with the HKS axelback and it is exactly as you described, very little drone, not to loud nice tone. I paid a bit less on mine though there are a few vendors selling this kit some charge more than others but for the price not that bad.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HHHOOOOLLLLDDD UUUPPPP!!!!

so your telling me that for 175 you got a scuba replacement part included in that?!!! ive been look for that piece for ever!!

:p

can i get a link to buy?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

found it :p
Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiZzOuRcE
I will try and get a video clip next time I wash my car. I dont have headers because the car is a lease and the work involved isn't worth the time. It does replace the scuba tank with a resonator which holds one of the two cats. I an thinking about hollowing out the header cat. I'm sure it would be laouder without both.
ok, you're leasing the car... correct? and you don't want to install a header because its too much work? BUT, you're considering hollowing out the stock header/cat combo? ok, to do this, you'll need to REMOVE IT, which you'd also have to do to install a header. then you'll spend a bunch of time trying to get all the catalyst material out. then, when you take the car back at the end of your lease, YOU'D HAVE TO BUY A STOCK HEADER/CAT, which i could see costing well over $500. i hope there's an option to buy at the end of your lease... for your sake if you carry out your plans to hollow out the manifold cat. it would be a lot cheaper and less time consuming to purchase a header and do it right the first time. good luck on this one...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yes it would...and it would perform better...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i would love to hear a sound clip as well, cause like you im going to get that kit but i might do a little welding and throw in an aero turbo exhaust where the stock muffler is. i love the way those sound. but a sound clip would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-19-2008, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man...____ it...i was going to spend this much replacing the scuba...im buying it right now...please post a sound clip when you can...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitebreadbox
ok, you're leasing the car... correct? and you don't want to install a header because its too much work? BUT, you're considering hollowing out the stock header/cat combo? ok, to do this, you'll need to REMOVE IT, which you'd also have to do to install a header. then you'll spend a bunch of time trying to get all the catalyst material out. then, when you take the car back at the end of your lease, YOU'D HAVE TO BUY A STOCK HEADER/CAT, which i could see costing well over $500. i hope there's an option to buy at the end of your lease... for your sake if you carry out your plans to hollow out the manifold cat. it would be a lot cheaper and less time consuming to purchase a header and do it right the first time. good luck on this one...
Why must you try and rip apart someones idea before you think it all through?

Instead of trying to start a flame war with me, just simply ask a question.

This is all you had to say "I like/don't like your choice for purchasing this product, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want a header. I would think that having the hollow the stock cat out would take as much time and effort as replacing the header in itself. What are your thoughts?"

My repsonse would then be "I understand where you are coming from and I respect your question. However, I would only have to remove the stock header once to hollow out the material inside and then reinstall. Once my lease was up on my car, I would then reinstall the stock exhaust system on the car (which includes one existing cat inside the scuba tank) and call it a day. That cat SHOULD be sufficient to reduce emissions (even though it doens't matter in Florida) and should allow the dealership to take the car back without question since everything in the exhaust looks stock."

I will try and get a sound clip soon.

Just as an FYI, I probably won't be hollowing out the stock header cat since I don't like the smell these cars produce without cats.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Not sure how he flamed you.. he point blank said some valid points. I was going to say the exact same thing and then read his post. I would like to see how easy it is to get the honeycomb out of it. You dont have a straight shot at it at all. Maybe going in the from the bottom but I do not see that being easy at all.
I might have to yank out my scuba and see how hard it will be to make a replacement for them. Since that seems to be the part alot of people are wanting.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well do as you like
i've tried take those stuff out of a cat before and it's really tough unless you have the right tool like a very good drill.
i'd still gonna recommend changing out the headers would be much easier and less time consuming. i'd install the weapon-r and s-pipe in less than 2hrs. i was slacking off too taking my time. it's really not that hard to remove and reinstall the header unless you're thinking about saving yourself some $$$.
well good luck on the project regardless what you gonna do and post some updates.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NoLimitzInd - if you would have offereded this piece for $200 i would have bought it... now that i can get a full ss exhaust for 175 shipped...i think id buy the replacement for a $100...

original intent was to put a muffler into the scuba delete pipe after i got it...after i saw this exhaust i think im just going to mount it and roll with it...

would of been great if you had that part before winter hit...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so this system has 2.5 inch piping correct? what size is the stock exhaust piping then? 2 1/4?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by cincinfocal
NoLimitzInd - if you would have offereded this piece for $200 i would have bought it... now that i can get a full ss exhaust for 175 shipped...i think id buy the replacement for a $100...

original intent was to put a muffler into the scuba delete pipe after i got it...after i saw this exhaust i think im just going to mount it and roll with it...

would of been great if you had that part before winter hit...
The saying goes you get what you pay for. I am hoping for everyones sake that this part lasts. It could. I am not knocking the part. But for someone to be able to sell something that cheap it tells you what the part is made of. You cant build a SS peice so cheap and not have to cut corners some where.
"The welds around the bracket hangers were nothing to jump around about, but if one breaks, you just need to take it to a shop and have them tack weld it back in place.
" This is things you have to think about. Do you want to chase problems. Not saying you are going to have a issue. But if you think about it before you ever put it in that isnt saying good things about the part.

Now really I am hoping this part works out for you guys for sure. I would hate to see you guys spend your money twice.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah...i know nolimitz..im going to have my dad look over the welds and add to them once the piece arrives...ill take detailed shots once its in my possesion...i am mainly looking for the scuba pipe and am ok with paying that much and getting more stuff that fits...
Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiZzOuRcE
Originally Posted by whitebreadbox
Why must you try and rip apart someones idea before you think it all through?

Instead of trying to start a flame war with me, just simply ask a question.

This is all you had to say "I like/don't like your choice for purchasing this product, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want a header. I would think that having the hollow the stock cat out would take as much time and effort as replacing the header in itself. What are your thoughts?"

My repsonse would then be "I understand where you are coming from and I respect your question. However, I would only have to remove the stock header once to hollow out the material inside and then reinstall. Once my lease was up on my car, I would then reinstall the stock exhaust system on the car (which includes one existing cat inside the scuba tank) and call it a day. That cat SHOULD be sufficient to reduce emissions (even though it doens't matter in Florida) and should allow the dealership to take the car back without question since everything in the exhaust looks stock."

I will try and get a sound clip soon.

Just as an FYI, I probably won't be hollowing out the stock header cat since I don't like the smell these cars produce without cats.
sorry that your so sensitive. i wasn't trying to flame you at all. and i did think this through... took a few seconds to see that it would be a waste of time and money. but neither of them is mine. just trying to point out some things that you might have missed and make a suggestion that would help you out in the long run. sorry you took it the wrong way.

Quick Reply: eBay TRD Knock-Off Cat-Back Exhaust INSTALLED w/ Pics