Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Help have Electrical problem with the Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
SL Member

Default Help have Electrical problem with the Box

So the past two times I have had the car out I have had.
ABS, Traction control, Brake, and a flashing stability control light.

I am thinking one of the ABS sensors may be damaged from the snow?

Thanks Chris

*Moved to Correct Forum by the Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-09-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by the Administrator
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Could be the engine wire harness, seems all too common these days...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Could be the engine wire harness, seems all too common these days...
Sounds like a real possibility . Was that a 2008? The service bulletin is in the tech package downloadable via the xB2 DIY section.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kc2hje
So the past two times I have had the car out I have had.
ABS, Traction control, Brake, and a flashing stability control light.

I am thinking one of the abs sensors may be damaged from the snow? Thanks chris
I have the exact same problem. Also is your traction control and abs completely out. I can lock up the brakes and I can spin the wheels at will, which sucks considering Chicago is about to get smashed by a massive snow storm. Nothing happens when I press the VSC button also. Please let me know if you have found out any info.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Default Same here, just started today!

Going to take it to the dealer asap but your storm is stopping here in KS first! Over 1.5ft of snow is expected! Would the snow just of snapped a connector or broke a wire?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
SL Member

Pulled the connectors of of the rear hubs cleaned and covered in dielectric grease problem solved!!!!

Also on the passengers side connector there was clear signs of corrosion.

This is a very common issue on the Toyota Yaris and below is the link to the thread that helped me solve this.

Very disappointed in Toyota quality again!!!!

Link to page 13 shows the connector and how to release it.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=11533&page=13

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM

I have the same issue going with my car, started a thread about it and a wrote a long story about it. I did clean my connectors and still have the lights on. All my lights go on and off at various times. I do have a connection with a parts guy at Toyota and he has given me some insight on what could be the issue after I had a dealer look at the car but wanted close to $900 to fix it. I was told my wire harness was corroded but after I checked it, it looked fine and I just cleaned them as stated early with electrical cleaner. What I was explained is the wheel bearing is starting to fail, that the sensor is picking up excessive heat or no rotation from the bearing/hub and that is causing for everything to be disabled. Explains why my lights go on and off for periods of time. The longer I go now since I haven't replaced the hub yet the longer and more the lights stay on. Now my buddy isn't looking to gain any money or business from me, and he is willing to hook me up on the part. The problem is that on our car the wheel bear/hub is all one part with sensors, its really expensive (over $400 at the dealer) and I can't find the part at any auto part store or web. Everywhere I look they only sell the four lug hub which is wrong. It's also a bummer cause my warranty just expired and I am paying out of pocket. It's a easy job to do if you have some knowledge on car repair but sucks that Toyota doesn't stand behind faulty parts after all the bad press recently they had. I also have talked to Toyota HQ and filed a complaint which they told me in short they aren't going to do anything at this time. Highly recommend anyone with this issue to file a compliant with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) like I did. Maybe with enough reports Toyota will be forced into action, it's not safe for their cars disabling like this after only 3 years and my XB doesn't even have 30,000 miles yet.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 08Whitey
The problem is that on our car the wheel bear/hub is all one part with sensors, its really expensive (over $400 at the dealer) and I can't find the part at any auto part store or web.

TRDsparks... $285 each side. Not cheap, but a lot less than $400+ each.

Use hub as the search word after putting in your year, make and model:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214631
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine did the same thing... I disconnected the battery and took off my rear wheel and (tried) to remove the sensor connection but could not figure it out at the time as I did not have the diagram, but I sprayed it down with electrical cleaner anyway, made sure it was tight and snug, etc...

Lights went off and have yet to come back on 400 miles later...

I think you have a problem with the engine harness if the CEL comes on with everything else... I did not have the CEL.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 AM

I have yet to get a cel, and I also disconnected the battery after I cleaned the wire harness for the rear brakes and the trac, abs, vsc, ebrake light all came on. The odd thing now is I just got home and all the lights are off, about 15 miles from my work and that's the longest they have stayed off recently.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up Cionide, I'll probably place and order to them, I hope to win big in my Super Bowl squares lol
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did my rear ABS connections just now... Removed the connectors, cleaned heavily with electric contact cleaner, sprayed out with compressed air, filled with dielectric grease and replaced connections.

My light went away before, but I feel better having cleaned them. Eventually I will do the fronts.

And ugh, under my car is a mess... Tons of salt, its terrible. I need to wash it down one day...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 AM

Yeah in the winter I make sure I take it to a wash that can spray the undercarriage. I try to do that at least once a month so there isn't a build up..
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I usually do as well.. Have not done it this year yet. I will have to when it gets above freezing so it doesn't ice all over. I have a spray head that will mix soap with the water to help as well, to break up some of the salt afterward with brush and stuff.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 AM

but you think these cars are tested for all the elements, shouldn't be having electrical issues
Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the heads up on this... Can't believe they didn't even put a rubber boot over the connector - just checked and of course my Xb is identical - good job I live in PHX - but I will need to do something about that.
I mean even my Suzuki Bandit (bike) ABS sensor is sealed.
Crazy
Originally Posted by kc2hje
Pulled the connectors of of the rear hubs cleaned and covered in dielectric grease problem solved!!!!

Also on the passengers side connector there was clear signs of corrosion.

This is a very common issue on the Toyota Yaris and below is the link to the thread that helped me solve this.

Very disappointed in Toyota quality again!!!!

Link to page 13 shows the connector and how to release it.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=11533&page=13

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know I have had the VSC light on and the Traction Control light blinking as being off. It happened the day after I had played with the TC steering wheel. I had the car turned off and stuff, but I removed the steering wheel just a little to make sure it was lined up correctly, it seemed off by a tooth or two when I first put it on. When I originally installed it I had unplugged the battery like you are suppose to and everything was fine after about of week of driving. Then after I tried to adjust the steering wheel I just unplugged the airbag and just moved the steering wheel without unplugging the battery. Then the next day I pulled out of the garage and everything was okay. Then when I tried to pull onto the main drive and give it gas, the XB seemed to bogg down and then I pulled over, turned it off then turned it back on. Then the lights came on but then it drove perfectly fine. I had seen somewhere here that maybe I should pull the ABS fuse and reinstall it and those lights could go off. But I am not sure which fuse and where. Is it in the fuse box in the engine compartment, and which is the right fuse?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM

I had the same problem happen to me on 12/8/2011.

Problem: TRAC light steady on, VSC light flashing, Emergency Brake light steady on even though handle all the way down, ABS light steadily on. The problem went away on its own this morning (12/9/2011) when dropped kids off at school bus stop. I parked the car, turned engine off, when I turned back on, boom lights where off and everything was back to normal. After reading what I read here immediately took car to car wash for under body wash.

The problem happened right after a snowstorm dropped 4 inches of snow. The snow was a little hard because it had rained a lot so some of it was icy. My driveway is steep (about 35% angle), so when I turn into road I heard the front bottom part scrape against the ice/snow int he spot where driveway meets road. I drove for 40 minutes, parked, lights were still not on. When I started car about an hour later, that's when I saw lights come on for first time. My car is 2008 Xb model and has 134,000 miles. Not this is second time this happens, First time happened about 1.5 years ago under similar weather conditions and circumstances. The lights went out on their own three days later at that time.

One thing I did do both times was to idle my car for 10 minutes the night prior to problem disappearing on its own. Not sure if that made a difference or not. I did this because I read it in a different post.

To others experiencing this problem, don't be to quick to give $100 to toyota just to check the codes. Consider your options: celan the sensesors in fron wheels as per a post on how to do it for Yaris (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...1533&page=13)? I feel tempted to do this even if problem is gone. I may buy two towers to lift the car on. Thanks and best of luck. I'll post if problem comes back again.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just want to say thanks to the folks who contributed to this thread, and I found the linked Yaris discussion very helpful (I can see myself picking up some Permatex Dielectric Grease ). After learning what I could, I sent a PM to Jennifer@Scion to inquire about a Scion xB2 version of the Canadian TSB. Here's hoping something is in the works. I'll share whatever I learn !
Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Just want to say thanks to the folks who contributed to this thread, and I found the linked Yaris discussion very helpful (I can see myself picking up some Permatex Dielectric Grease ). After learning what I could, I sent a PM to Jennifer@Scion to inquire about a Scion xB2 version of the Canadian TSB. Here's hoping something is in the works. I'll share whatever I learn !
Six days have passed since my PM to Jennifer and I see the member name has been changed to Timiesha@Scion. Don't know whether that signifies a different person, but in any case, I just resent my PM and included a link to this thread.

It's about time to switch over to snows here and so I picked up a $6 squeeze tube of Permatex dielectric grease today. I'll treat all four ABS connectors as I change the wheels.

Quick Reply: Help have Electrical problem with the Box