Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   Front grinding sound comes and goes... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/front-grinding-sound-comes-goes-211097/)

alank2 01-16-2012 10:49 PM

Front grinding sound comes and goes...

Hi Everyone,

I've got an 08 xB with 41K on it. I've been thinking it was the driver side front brake so I took off the front tire to look at it. The pads looks like they have about 3/16" on them. The rotor doesn't have any grooves, but I can't say it was mirror smooth either. I put it in neutral and could rotate the rotor by hand although it would turn freely about 80% of it and 20% of it would get tighter although I could still push it around. What is really odd about this is that the noise comes and goes. Sometimes it sounds like a loud grinding, but sometimes no sound at all. Always when braking, and more when braking slowly such as 5mph to 0mph.

I tried to take it to a place that does brakes today, but it wouldn't make the sound for them. It made it on the way home, but I couldn't get it to repeat or I would have taken it back for them to listen to it...

Any ideas? The mechanic at the brake shop said brake noise usually doesn't come and go...

Thanks,

Alan

RevolutionAutomotive 01-17-2012 01:59 AM

Perhaps its your CV Joint.. The extra pressure from braking might cause it to grind and slip. I honestly don't know.. but.. maybe?

Toyofixer 01-17-2012 03:00 AM

Does this happen during the first 3 to 5 stops after the vechicle has sat for overnight and after sitting when you are a work for the day? If so even though you have 3/16" left on your pads replace them and have the rotors machined. I have had two XB's come in both of them the owners said the brakes are metal to metal when they were not but this noise was there.I replaced the pads and machined the rotors on both of these cars and the noise was gone. I drove mine around for 6 months making this noise (only for the first stops of a drive) finally I was tired of it and replaced the pads and machined the rotors noise gone. I dont know why it makes this noise but it clearly sounds like the pads are down to metal when they are not.

Zsanz 01-17-2012 07:16 AM

check ur lugs, also look if your cailiper is still floating freely on the attarchment bolts

scion619 01-17-2012 12:30 PM

Maybe a bad wheel bearing?

Ricersux 01-17-2012 01:12 PM

Replace pads and rotor. Have the pads been replaced prior? With only 41k on it, brakes are the only logical cause of the noise. Wheel bearing and cv joints are a HIGHLY DOUBTFUL CAUSE of the sound if it was either of those, toyota will cover under warranty. Brakes typically are due for maintenance/replacement every 30-40k miles. Its the brakes, its the brakes, its the brakes.

alank2 01-17-2012 01:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

One thing I just remembered that we used to have happen is a sort of "ker chunk" type of noise after backing up and then going forward again. It seemed brake related, but this was earlier on with it. Could that lend to the idea that the caliper bolts aren't tight enough? When I had the tire off, the top bolt didn't look loose, but I didn't check the bottom one. I can pull the tire again and make sure they are tight.

I am still leaning towards brakes though and there is a local place running a special where they replace the pads and turn the rotors for $95. I may do that to see if it resolves the issue.

Thanks everyone,

Alan

TrevorS 01-18-2012 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by alank2 (Post 3961892)
I am still leaning towards brakes though and there is a local place running a special where they replace the pads and turn the rotors for $95. I may do that to see if it resolves the issue.

Thanks everyone,

Alan

I agree with brake pads and rotors.