Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Fuel gauge calibration (guage is off)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Fuel gauge calibration (guage is off)

I have already read similiar threads that say the fuel light comes on with 2 gallons left. When mine comes on the miles to empty is always(range) around 40. After this gets close to zero I will fill up and it only take 12 gallons. I am getting in the 28 MPG range but sure would like to see the extra 2 gallons. The MPG calculator is real close but says 340 range after a fill up. It shouls be close to 400.
Now my ? Do the service techs have to adjust the tank float or is it done through the computer? Does anybody else see this problem? I would think that if the zero and full points are adjusted correctly the range on the MPG calculator will be higher.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they're designed that way, so you don't push the envelope and get left stranded.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Fuel gauge calibration (guage is off)

I also see a similar pattern with my xB2: The fuel light comes on with an estimated ~2.5 gal. left in the tank, and the trip computer shows a range of zero with an estimated 1.5 to 2 gal. still left. (I say "estimated" because I haven't verified that the tank holds 14 gal. like the manual says. I can tell you it holds at least 12.5 gal for sure.)

It doesn't bother me much because it seems at least consistent, but I agree that it would be nicer if it were more accurate.
Originally Posted by Carr73
Do the service techs have to adjust the tank float or is it done through the computer?
I personally wouldn't bother if they have to mess with the tank float. I would be afraid they may mess up something else. But it may be just me...
Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have owned about 25 cars so far in my life.

Number of those where the gas gauge did NOT do that is exactly Zero.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I must say my previous ride Subaru Forester was more accurate in that the fuel light came on only when it had ~1 gal. left. (And it had a larger gas tank than xB2.)
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM

I don't mind the light but mine comes on with about 3.5 to 4 gallons left. I can live with it but wanted to know if others were the same way. It sounds like toyopet's is like mine. Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 PM

Dude please dont run your car (any car) with an empty tank, all the gunk and water that settles down in the tank (water is heavier than gas) will be sucked by the gas pump clogging your fuel filter and injectors prematurely. You are NOT saving a cent by running your car with an empty tank so why do it?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by V8Goat
all the gunk and water that settles down in the tank (water is heavier than gas) will be sucked by the gas pump clogging your fuel filter and injectors prematurely.
Isn't the fuel uptake point always near the bottom of tank regardless of fuel level? (I have also heard that running a tank low is bad for the in-tank fuel pump because of the possibility of the pump motor overheating, but I don't know if it's true or just another old wives' tale.)

In any case I don't think anyone is advocating running a gas tank to near empty intentionally here. It's just that it's useful to know the accuracy of your car's gauge, so that you can AVOID accidentally running empty especially on long trips. Personally, if the fuel warning light came on when 3 gallons (as much as ~90 miles) still left, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to find a gas station.

xB2's fuel gauge/trip computer/fuel light does seem notably pessimistic. I think the Car and Driver review article in another thread also mentions this. (I read the article at a news stand.) Again, not a huge problem, but yeah, I also would like to know if it's possible for a tech to adjust it via computer...
Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The point of the idiot light is to let you know you are close to needing to get gas.

Toyota figure that you may be in the middle of nowhere and might not see another gas station for at least 40 miles. Rather than having the gas light come one with only 1 gal left, you get 2+ that can get you to a gas station.

There is nothing wrong with your car. Do not let your tank run dry, as V8Goat said. If you do that, your fuel pump will need replacing very quickly.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM

You are not reading!!!! Ours comes on with 3.5 to 4 gallons left. One person commented not to run the tank dry. I would love to use the extra 1.5 to 2 gallons of fuel though. I will not ride around with the light on, gauge on empty and the trip computer saying 0 range so I loose the use of that much fuel. My main ? was are others like this and one replied that his was too.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats the big deal?

Your going to have to fill up eventually, you just won't have to fill up the extra 3-4 gallons. They are there if you need them.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 PM

I just bought mine and took it on a trip 2 days later and have not let it get low enough for the light to come on yet but, my owners manuel says the light will come after 11.7 gallons have been used so, I feel they designed it so you won't be left stranded.