Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Squeaky Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Unhappy Squeaky Rear Brakes

Hi, new to this forum. I have a 2009 XB. My rear brakes squeak every single time, day or night, when I apply them; gently or sudden, doesn't matter.
Took the car in, dealer said I have 75 percent wear left on them so I don't need a brake job. Okay....so what's up with the squeaking then, I asked? He said I have to live with it. Really??? So the brakes wear down 25 percent, and from that point, tough....put on headphones and ignore it 'cause that's just the product, and the way it is, according to Toyota of Glendora.
Any response or advice??
I already had to have my struts and intermeditate steering shaft replaced at less than a year old on this car.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The only option you really have is to replace them and see if it goes away.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put some anti-squeal grease where its supposed to be.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vienna
I already had to have my struts and intermeditate steering shaft replaced at less than a year old on this car.
Really? Would you mind sharing the problems you experienced? Thanks !

PS. The anti-squeel grease is a good idea -- PepBoys and the like has it readily available for cheap.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a lot that goes on that can cause brake noise. Getting fingerprints on the rotor can do it. Anti squeel is a good place to start. While your in there, clean the rotor with soap & water lick cleaning the dishes, then rence it clean. Be sure the slide pins are lubricated with the correct stuff. Be sure the pads are wearing evenly on the inside & outside pads. NAPA started carrying a brake piston ring that is designed to stop or at least help stop the noise. They work well, but not 100%.

I have noticed that when I release the hand brake and back out of the drive, my rear brakes make noise till I go forward, then it is gone for the day. Just havent done anything about it. Too little to bother with at this point.

You may want to go to a brake shop. Sometimes dealers will give you the brush-off if you are looking for a warranty issue on a wear item like brakes. A real brake specialty shop will most likely look at it for real and at least talk to you about it. It's an option at lease.

Good luck. Let us know if you find out something.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 AM

Default squeak

I just replaced my rear rotors and pads and they are squeaking like crazy so I have to ask a dumb question. How much and where does the anti-squeak stuff get applied?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine are starting to squeak as well. My brakes are around 70% so i have a lot of life on them. Ill probably take them off, clean the rotors with brake clean and check the pads and put some anti-squeak goo. I hate it, its extremely embarrassing.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 AM

Next Question,

The pads that I purchased didn't come with any shims. Do I need to get those separately or can I go without?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

were your brake pads ever changed, because some brands causes squeaks and brake dust,

you put your old shims on your new pads
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 AM

First off, thanks for the responses. very helpful. Ok, more details. When I removed my old pads and rotors, they were well worn out. I replaced the stock pads with duralast c-max ceramic pads. When I removed the stock pads, there were no shims that I could see (just went through the box of old worn parts. Is it possible that they wore away? Are these metal parts or gasket type material?

The packaging for the new pads says that a "vibration dampening shim is attached to the rear of the pad." Is this the shim I was looking for? (I was under the assumption that the stock shims were metal and took up some space).

Finally, Does the anti squeak lube get applied directly to the face of the pads?