Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   HELP..Buzzing niose from engine before starting 08 Xb2 (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/help-buzzing-niose-engine-before-starting-08-xb2-178736/)

teebox 01-07-2010 03:44 AM

HELP..Buzzing niose from engine before starting 08 Xb2

Hello Everyone,

Back on the forum here after some time. I have and 05 Xb and just bought my wife an 08 Xb2. I have a question about a noise I noticed when the ingition is turned to ON but the engine is not started there is a buzzing or humming noise coming from under the hood. Really not noticeable when in the car but heard it when standing next to it. My 05 Xb doesn't do it.

Could anyone please test this for me and see if theirs does it as well. We have only had the car for a few days.

Thanks,

TEE BOX (AZ)

Xin 01-07-2010 03:32 PM

2010 xB...
i'm having some kind of weird noise/sound too. its not coming from under the hood but inside somewhere on the front dash, the sounds comes on sometimes when i'm going around 70mph or over... its very annoying... plz help too if anyone have had the same problem and know what's wrong with it/what cost it... etc..etc...

thanks...
Xin

elwaylite 01-07-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by teebox (Post 3422122)
Hello Everyone,

Back on the forum here after some time. I have and 05 Xb and just bought my wife an 08 Xb2. I have a question about a noise I noticed when the ingition is turned to ON but the engine is not started there is a buzzing or humming noise coming from under the hood. Really not noticeable when in the car but heard it when standing next to it. My 05 Xb doesn't do it.

Could anyone please test this for me and see if theirs does it as well. We have only had the car for a few days.

Thanks,

TEE BOX (AZ)

They all do it. I THINK it has something to do with the electric steering.

TrevorS 01-08-2010 02:58 AM

The only "buzzing " noise I've heard under the hood before the engine was running was the starter relay when the battery was low. I've never heard a "buzzing" after the engine was running, but my xB2 is still pretty young at aprox 4K, so I'm very interested in what you fellows ultimately conclude.

elwaylite 01-08-2010 10:41 AM

When you turn it to start, there is a hum, and its constant. In the manual, I think it states leaving the key in this position for a long time will hurt the electric steering.

TrevorS 01-09-2010 11:10 PM

Interesting -- I'll have to check my manual again. However, moving the key position to "Start" is 100% preliminary to operating the starter (and yes, the key should absolutely not be left in the "Start" position without engaging the starter -- regardless of car). If there's a problem after engaging the starter, that would be more interesting.

pyroman131 01-11-2010 02:54 AM

I always thought that the buzzing was due to not enough grounding for the alternator.

What was that mod called back in the day? The Big Three??