Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Might be a good idea to change cabin filters early!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Might be a good idea to change cabin filters early!

I just replaced my filter after THREE weeks... Why so early? Well I wanted to get the 3M 1250 Allergenic Filter and I bought the 700 before... So why not... But to my surprise, it was FILTHY.

So yeah, exactly 3 weeks and 2 days. I can't imagine how fast the new filter will get loaded with stuff. I plan to swap them every 3-4 months most likely. Cheap and easy to do and ensure fresh, clean air!

Below is a pic I just took. Left side is new filter, right is the one I just took out (obviously). What is not pictured are the leaves and bigger chunks that fell out once I removed it on top of it!

So yeah, just a heads up if you think they will last the rediculous amount they say in the manual to go and check yours. You can make six of them for $13 at Walmart (for the 3M 1250... Its 9$ for the 700)

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't post something like this, Invertalon...... WITHOUT tell us how do get to this filter!! So, You gonna provide us with a DIY on How to..get to this filter & change it??? thanks... good job with the info, by the way!!!.. thanks... jh
Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha sorry!

Here is a DIY for the TC, basically the same exact thing... How I learned about it!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...bin+filter+diy

The only different is that we have NO tray. So just get inside, pull out the filter by itself. This would be the stock air filter inside obviously, and just use that as a guide for size.

Go to any store and buy an air conditioning filter, Consumer reports said the 3M 1250 Allergenic one is the best DIY filter, so I got that one. Comes in a huge sheet so you can get six of these filters out of the one. It runs $13 at Walmart.

Use a sharpie and outline the size of the filter. Then use sharp scissors and cut. Once you get to size, just ensure its close to the original filter and place in filter tray (wire size up) and your set. Replace the cover on the filter casing and pop back on the glove box and your all set. You can remove and replace a filter in under a minute easy once you figure it out, its simple! I am also keeping the original filter for whenever I make new ones in the future, good to keep!

Hope that helps! Any questions feel free to ask!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you had to remove your glove box to get to this filter in your xb2??? Please say yes.... lol or no.. even better!!... jh
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its right behind the glove box
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is right behind the glove box. You need to remove it to access the cabin filter.

Its easy to remove and requires no tools or anything, it just "pops" in and out. If you worried of screwing something up, don't be. Im exactly like that but this is one thing I can handle. Don't dare ask me to remove the door panel, dash, etc... ;)
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The filter is right behind the glove box and very easy to change. IIRC, Scion charges about $20 for the filter so making your own is the way to go. I still have the original in but plan to change it in a few months.

BTW, to remove the GB, just pull the dampener end off, squeeze the sides of the GB and pull it down and out. You'll see a white box with an end-cover that just snaps off to expose the filter.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool. thanks........... jh
Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good info, thanks. I use hypoallergenic filters for my home all the time, much better than standard filters.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Lehigh Valley Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Was a lil tricky getting my glove box back on, but a great tip!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A/C filter tray

Anyone know if the tC A/C tray will fit in the xB?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dope
Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Literally a 10 second swap out. I squeezed the glove box sides in, to release the little plastic catches from their holes, and it dropped down enough to reach in and pop off the little plastic filter cover. Slide out dirty old filter, slide in nice clean new filter, replace plastic filter cover, squeeze in glove box sides to click back into position and close. Done, time for a drive.

Yes, I paid $8.50 for the OEM replacement on eBay, instead of making my own... I admit it, I'm lazy.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was almost shanked by another benz owner when I said I used filters from advance auto and autolite glow plugs vs geunine mann filters and bosch plugs from germany.

I wanted to keep my xb oem theme for accessories, however they seem very limited.

FYI, let me know of anyone with oem parts or accessories for sale, like the alarm, remote start, springs, dash inserts or spoiler.

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Yes, I paid $8.50 for the OEM replacement on eBay, instead of making my own... I admit it, I'm lazy.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone bought the oem cabin air filter from toyota? I believe the factory one is greyish color to begin with. My step bro and I both have xb2's i was in the south and he was in california during the fires and both of ours looked the same. you can bang it and dust doesnt really come off it. ours after being in and going through that for a year looked the same as urs after 3 weeks so i dont think they were white to begin with. i would have thought if that was the case his would have been covered with ash....
Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just bought the 3M filtrete filter, 1250 but it has wires on both sides so do u guys know what direction the air flow of the cabin is?

I read in the Tc forum that the air flow is top to bottom for their car..hence placing the filtrete filter with the arrow pointing down.

Is the air flow for the XB2 the same?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those of you that don't want to cut your own, or pay the ridiculous dealership price, here's the link to eBay for the $8.50 replacement filter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7295&viewitem=
Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just changed mine today for the first time in 40k miles, im pretty sure something was growing in there.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can we have some more pics of this. i may go out and but the hypoallergenic stuff today
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Heres a DIY for the XB owners, I think its for the 1st Gen. But, here it is anyways.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20753

Quick Reply: Might be a good idea to change cabin filters early!