Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Need feedback ONLY from owners of Tanabe NF210s springs on 2008+ xB.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 PM
SL Member

Question Need feedback ONLY from owners of Tanabe NF210s springs on 2008+ xB.

I need feedback ONLY from owners of Tanabe NF210s springs on 2008+ xB. Please do not clutter the thread or give feed back if you do not have DIRECT experience with the Tanabe NF210 springs – that’s already been done and destroyed other threads. = )

OK, so… I’m on the verge of buying a 2011 xB but I want to be able to correct the choppy ride. Experience would be the best way to figure this out, but unfortunately, no one in my area is on NF210 springs (kinda unbelievable). So, anyway, I can’t go for a ride in an xB that has them.Which means all I can do to get a “feel’ for the ride quality is read about it. Which isn’t a very good way to figure this out, and could lead to a big waste of money – if I buy a car and hate the ride. Hopefully you can understand why I’m being careful. I’ve read every post in the following threads…I’d like to get as definitive (as possible) of an answer on the ride quality of the NF210 springs. Plus, I figured posting this in “the lounge” might help me find someone in my area that doesn’t read the PNW regional section (I live in the Portland/Hillsboro OR area)

So, questions for NF210 owners:
  1. Did you think the ride is less *choppy*, or *jouncy*, or *bouncy* than with the stock springs? I’m mostly concerned about the choppy/jouncy ride. But if you think it rode worse in any other way, like “crashy” or “jarring” over road imperfections, please chime in.
  2. Do you have any other suspension modifications, like anti-roll/sway bars installed, or plus sized wheels?
  3. Do you have a huge, heavy subwoofer (or something else heavy) in the hatch?
I like to rest my head on the headrest while driving. Anyone else do this? I rented an xB twice and went over roads I didn’t even know had imperfections in my current car, that were insanely choppy in the xB. I don’t mind a firm ride… but I do NOT want a bouncy/choppy/jouncy ride over the slightest road imperection. I’d go insane, so I'm trying to avoid that. = )

Much thanks for the feedback everyone!

-Nathan

Last edited by natesi; 10-24-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

my wife drives the car loves it. been on the car for 38k . car has 53k. drive it twice a year to ohio from austin. its like a mild coil over set up. not bouncy firm but not back breaking. plus the wife is 8 months prego. no up grades to suspention execpt strut bar. stock 16's . no sub. but there always junk in the trunk
Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 AM
SL Member

I had NF210s installed on my '08 xB last April. My ride feels just as comfortable as stock. I can't even remember if it was a different ride...not bumpy, choppy, or bouncy at all.
Joe at FastScions.com installed the Tanabe NF210 springs and also the Hotchkis front and rear sway bar set.
The car handles great and I highly recommend both upgrades be done together at the same time.
If you're looking for a dramatic drop then the NF's aren't the springs for you. I'm on Enkei 16" RZ-5 here and clearly it doesn't make a huge difference in appearance...

stock
Name:  DSCF4046.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  53.1 KB
NF210
Name:  DSCF4051.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  48.6 KB

My passengers have never said anything negative about the ride quality of my xB. I'll take that as being a good thing because "no news is good news" meaning they never did notice the difference! Haha I dropped the car a bit and no one noticed the change in ride quality.
In fact it seems that the more weight that's in the vehicle, the better the ride. I just had a comment this last week from a friend who owns a Honda Pilot that said how smooth my ride is compare to hers.
The only thing that I did notice different since I've had the Tanabe NF210s is that I tend to scrape more often on steep driveways. I'm sure it's just the splash shield and not the bumper but it does make me more cautious when I enter or exit certain driveways now as opposed to before.
It gives me room to grow though. I can go with 17's without concern of rubbing issues.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have The NF210's as well ,with everything that applies, haha.
Big subwoofer box, plus sized wheels.
I personally think the ride is a little bit stiffer. I definately did it only for looks, so the ride doesnt bother me. I think stock is more comfortable, but love the look.
I ride with 18" rims, 235/40/18 tire. Definately a great upgrade though.
Even with the box, and 3 people in the back, i do not recall any rubbing.
I'd recommend!.
Just do not let a shop kill you with an installation price.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 AM
SL Member

I personally think the ride is a little bit stiffer.
This is why I made this post... because some people are reporting a very significant improvement and others are saying the same or worse.

When you say "stiffer" what do you mean? Like jarring/crashing over bumps... or choppy/jouncy? Those are two different things, IMO.

Since the NF210s are progressive springs, I'm kinda wondering if the people who don't have huge subs (or other weight in the back) are the ones getting the better ride.

Of course, 18" rims with a low side-wall would contribute to the more jarring ride too (although a low sidewall wouldn't create a choppy/bouncy/jouncy ride). That's why I'm asking what you mean by "stiff".

Man... I wish there was a member in my area with the NF210s installed!! This is frustrating!

Last edited by natesi; 10-24-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 AM
SL Member

Joe at FastScions.com installed the Tanabe NF210 springs and also the Hotchkis front and rear sway bar set.
The car handles great and I highly recommend both upgrades be done together at the same time.
Thanks. I was thinking of doing the exact same combo.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

natesi... If you think the stock setup is insanely choppy compared to your current car. DO NOT change your springs or even consider a change. I had NF210's then switched to the DF's cuz i felt like i was too high. The NF's rode great, handled good and looked better than stock. Seems like your a little picky when it comes to ride comfort, but thats your choice. Why do you have your head rested on your headrest when u drive? Weird!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 AM
SL Member

Why do you have your head rested on your headrest when u drive? Weird!
How is that weird? It's called a "head rest" -- hence a place to rest your head.

lol

I'm a very thin guy, and tall-ish, so I need the seat pretty upright to reach the wheel comfortably. Sitting like that... boom... the headrest is right at the back of your head. This is probably how the seats are designed to work, as apposed to driving "gangster", with the seat reclined like a Lazboy. heh.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by natesi
How is that weird? It's called a "head rest" -- hence a place to rest your head.
Actually it's called a head restraint, and its purpose is to prevent whiplash in an accident.

Maybe it was just the officer I had, but when I took my driving test many many years ago, I failed it the first time due to me resting my head on the restraint. That was the last time I ever did that. He said it limited my ability to look around quickly, and it does.

Personally I don't know what the difference is between a stiff ride and a choppy/bouncy ride; to me that means the same thing. Sway bars are going to make the ride stiffer, and shorter springs are going to have less total travel which is going to be stiffer overall as well, though if they are progressive that's another variable. But no, I don't have any personal experience with these or any other lowering springs as I like the stock ride and wouldn't even consider changing it.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you should consider lifting your car. A good 3" and you won't even feel those choppy, jouncy, crashy bumps.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel the bumps and dips more than i would when i was riding on stock suspension, so by stiffer maybe i meant more sensitive to those types of things.... if that makes sense
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM

^^ It makes sense to me, and that's how the terms are defined in my mind. I'm unsure how the OP is diffrentiating between the two, but I'm thinking that he doesn't want to feel the bumps more.My belief, not verified by any experience, is that any of the replacement springs are going to change the ride in that direction, and I've read nothing here or elsewhere that indicates otherwise.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:22 PM
SL Member

…I'm thinking that he doesn't want to feel the bumps more
To be clear, I'd like little road imperfections to be less noticeable (less choppy/jouncy) than the stock setup. I don't mind feeling larger, more significant road imperfections though. And I’m not looking for something as soft or disconnected as a Camry ride.

My belief, not verified by any experience, is that any of the replacement springs are going to change the ride in that direction, and I've read nothing here or elsewhere that indicates otherwise.
If you read the slightest bit of the thread I linked to (here), the NF210s are ironing out the small road imperfections for a lot of people. And the generality you just made has also already been hashed over in this thread. That’s why I wanted to keep this to NF210 owners only. I really don’t want people who do not have direct experience with the NF210s to make statements based on generalities, or their limited experience -- or else this thread will simply turn into the one I just linked to a moment ago.

The thing I’m trying to figure out is why not all owners of the NF210s are reporting the same results… And from there determine if the NF210 springs are going to work for me. I have to go through all this trouble because (apparently) no one the Portland OR area is on the NF210 springs, so I can't experience the ride first hand.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 PM

I have read that thread; I just didn't draw the same conclusions from it.

I apologize, and I'll butt out now. Sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by natesi
I have to go through all this trouble because (apparently) no one the Portland OR area is on the NF210 springs, so I can't experience the ride first hand.
Umm... PDX_xB is in Portland (and on NF210s).

check his thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171282
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtylerx
Umm... PDX_xB is in Portland (and on NF210s).

check his thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171282
WHAT?! Awesome; I'll see if I can talk him into it...!!

= )
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have had My NF's for 3 years and just love them! Works great with my TRD Strut & Sway bar. Feel 100x better than stock and sits real real nice, Just added wheels to my ride OZ 18x8.5 with 215/45/18 tires all around, sits perfect and no rubbing at all.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 PM
SL Member

No word from PDX_xB yet, so please keep the input coming in on the NF210 ride quality!

= )
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the NF210 set with front & rear sway bars and 16" rims. The ride is more solid. The car holds the road much better. Is it stiffer....yes, a little, but I am a big guy and I LOVE the ride. Any lowering adds stiffness. The lower, the stiffer. Bigger wheels mean less tire sidewall and stiffer ride. It all adds up.

I have several buddies that told me I would hate the "hard" ride I would get when I lowered it, but now they LOVE the ride my 09 XB has. Put eh NF210 set on, but leave the 16" tires and you will get the best of both worlds.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RC-PILOT
I have the NF210 set with front & rear sway bars and 16" rims. The ride is more solid. The car holds the road much better. Is it stiffer....yes, a little, but I am a big guy and I LOVE the ride. Any lowering adds stiffness. The lower, the stiffer. Bigger wheels mean less tire sidewall and stiffer ride. It all adds up.

I have several buddies that told me I would hate the "hard" ride I would get when I lowered it, but now they LOVE the ride my 09 XB has. Put eh NF210 set on, but leave the 16" tires and you will get the best of both worlds.
So by stiffer do you mean just as (or more) bouncy/choppy over small road imperfections? Or is it that medium to bigger sized bumps are more harsh/crashy/jolty?

Man.... this is frustrating. I wish I could simply experience them first hand. *sigh*

Also, is your ride loaded with a huge sub, or anything like that?

Quick Reply: Need feedback ONLY from owners of Tanabe NF210s springs on 2008+ xB.