Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Any safety/crash test ratings on the 2008 xB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any safety/crash test ratings on the 2008 xB?

They are selling them now, so, I would assume they have been crash tested. Anyone have the ratings?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

www.edmunds.com shows Not Rated yet for safety.........
Old 05-08-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed that, unfortunately.

NHSTA and IIHS have no ratings either.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many cars aren't tested by IIHS/NHTSA until well after they come to market. However, I would expect that the xB2 will test very well due to it's standard side/curtain airbags and more substantial frame. Also, if the xD is any indication (it will be the first Toyota product to have active head restraints), they took safety very seriously with the 2nd gen Scions.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many cars aren't tested by IIHS/NHTSA until well after they come to market.
There's only 3 reasons for that, and they are BIG reasons.....

Just so everyone is clear on this, Toyota takes safety and reliability as their number 1 and 2 priorities in design and engineering. No corners will be cut in those two areas, and it shows. What I tell my customers is that Toyota is as serious about safety as they are reliabilty.

I would be shocked if the xB2 was anything less than stellar. Keep in mind, it's the only car <20 with an electronic stability control system standard, and it might even be the only one with the system available at that price.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Many cars aren't tested by IIHS/NHTSA until well after they come to market.
There's only 3 reasons for that, and they are BIG reasons.....

Just so everyone is clear on this, Toyota takes safety and reliability as their number 1 and 2 priorities in design and engineering. No corners will be cut in those two areas, and it shows. What I tell my customers is that Toyota is as serious about safety as they are reliabilty.

I would be shocked if the xB2 was anything less than stellar. Keep in mind, it's the only car <20 with an electronic stability control system standard, and it might even be the only one with the system available at that price.
Well, the Mazda 3 Touring 5-door comes with stability control standard, costs $19k (still way more than the xB)... The Dodge Caliber SXT has stability control AVAILIBLE, and the car can be had for $16,335 including SC. I think there are others, these are just examples. I would say the xB is probably the cheapest vehicle with stability control (excluding previous gen xB), it is certainly rare under $20k.

I am concerned because I have not always found Toyota vehicles to be super-safe, as the Tundra only got 4-star front impact while its competitors got 5, and the previous gen xB is downright scary in side-impacts (POOR rating, dummy's head went through the window and smacked the impact barrier!!).

I realize it will probably be very good, and unless it is really terrible, I will still buy the car, but it is something I would love to know before I plunk down $17k.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM

Side Curtain airbags are also standard on new xb. Correct?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the Mazda 3 Touring 5-door comes with stability control standard, costs $19k
Have you actually ever seen one with a 19k sticker? Once you add the frieght (all marketing numbers, you know, the ones they use in adds), and option or two, and then whatever the dealer adds, is it still 19k?

Either way, I still misspoke a bit, so I stand corrected.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Well, the Mazda 3 Touring 5-door comes with stability control standard, costs $19k
Have you actually ever seen one with a 19k sticker? Once you add the frieght (all marketing numbers, you know, the ones they use in adds), and option or two, and then whatever the dealer adds, is it still 19k?

Either way, I still misspoke a bit, so I stand corrected.
Yeah, the manual is $19.020 after destination. My local dealer has one I drove, but it had an automatic, and cost $19,970 (on the sticker). No, it would not be under $20k after you add tax/title/liscense.

I would just stick with the xB anyway, because the Mazda 3 Touring is almost an exact match for the xB, except that it costs ~$3k more. The manual transmission also gets ~2mpg better than the xB, but the autos are equal.

I meant no offense, I just wanted to make sure we were being realistic here. I do agree that for it's price, nothing can touch the xB's safety features. Heck, nothing can touch it's pricing period, when I optioned out MANY (not all) cars to try to beat the xB, only the Aveo, Elantra, and Fit came out cheaper, and the Elantra is the only one close in size. That Caliber I quoted requires ~$4k in options to match the xB, and would still be slow as *****. I test drove the Elantra...it was nice, but handling was crappy and the whole car felt...hollow (like a Chrysler).
Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mmoeller
Side Curtain airbags are also standard on new xb. Correct?
Yes, it has driver and passenger: front, side impact, and side curtain (covers front and rear rows) airbags.